PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FWIW: James White Did Score at 3:58 of OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanSince74

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Some butt-hurt Falcons' fans have been complaining that White didn't score. The League Office released the attached. Interestingly, Blandino admits that the officials really did screw up by allowing everyone onto the field while the play was under review...but acknowledges that they had no control over the situation. Good thing the LJ made the right call, I guess. :D

Head of officiating confirms explains how referees handled James White's game-winning TD

I don't know how anyone can truly question whether or not he scored. The video replays were crystal clear. I'm guessing this has been fueled by that photoshopped pic of White's knee being down short. Too bad for them it occurred after he had already crossed the plane and was being pushed back.

There was a FB post with one bad angle screen shot that made it look like he was down well short of the goal line....you could have taken a screenshot from a different angle that makes it look like he was 2 yards deep in the endzone...

The questioning is out of pure ignorance / not knowing the rules. My daughter knows nothing about football and was asking me why it was ruled that he scored at the time, since (in her words) "the ball didn't get all the way into the red part"

I explained that to score "any part of the ball just has to be over or touch the very front edge of that wide white stripe that is in front of the red part"

I have found that we need to use such similar clear non-technical language when speaking to paranoid addled Jets, Colts, Bills, and apparently FALCONS fans. :)

It would've been nice if it were a big fat clear walk in touchdown with a big Gronk-style spike to queue the confetti. But what-evs. Pats won.

It really was a close goal line play....but he got in.

If you watch it from :42 to :46 seconds and then from :44, freeze it, then freeze it again at :45 with his knee down the ball is past the front-end of the goal line.

at :55 seconds you see the ball break the plane and the left knee way off the turf by a good few inches. The right knee hit first and the left shortly after so as long as you account for time, you can safely say he was in.

Last edited:
It was a unique situation, with the sudden death. And it wasn't just the people on the field it was the confetti guns too. You can't put that stuff back in. Imagine if they had to keep playing with red white and blue confetti all over the field and still floatng down? Optics nightmare. I'm sure the league will tighten up its confetti protocol after this.

It would've been nice if it were a big fat clear walk in touchdown with a big Gronk-style spike to queue the confetti. But what-evs. Pats won.

Screw that. Edelman with the crack back. Cannon pulling and clearing a small lane. Then White driving through 2 then 3 Falcons. This play was the 2016 season, fortitude, determination and success.

Boy, that would have sucked if that Bennett catch had been called back by the anti-Holy Roller rule. Good thing Brady had gotten that hand moving forward.

I agree with this because the celebration isn't as awesome as say, the one in SB 49. Edelman is barking at everyone about the review and there's confusion and it takes away from the AAAHHHHHHHHH of the moment. But seriously, if he was short, they were on the 1 inch line on third down. It was gonna be a touchdown no matter what.

Some butt-hurt Falcons' fans have been complaining that White didn't score. The League Office released the attached. Interestingly, Blandino admits that the officials really did screw up by allowing everyone onto the field while the play was under review...but acknowledges that they had no control over the situation. Good thing the LJ made the right call, I guess. :D

Head of officiating confirms explains how referees handled James White's game-winning TD

Ball breaks plane with knee still in the air.

Attachments

• score.JPG
    score.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 32
It really was a close goal line play....but he got in..

at :55 seconds you see the ball break the plane and the left knee of the turf. The right knee hit first and the left shortly after.
The reverse angle is clearer, IMO, at 0:59 there is one frame where you can see the tip of ball, the goal line, and the knee a fraction of an inch from the turf.

The ball was about 90% through the width of the white stripe, at minimum, when the knee touched. From the other angles, you can tell that this was the FIRST knee to touch.

I love how Blandino picks those three plays where he can say they were right but when it comes to picking a play where they were wrong, such as Mcclellin leaping over the guard not the long snapper, he doesn't want to do that...:rolleyes:

It's better if people think he was short. The more the merrier. I hope it becomes a thing, the more angry and upset people the better. Ive found it adds to my enjoyment to be able to read other fans turmoil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back