PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the "you can't win" edition......continued

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title says it all. I'm sure the media will respond to this VERY solid win with more talk about how bad the Rams were; rather than remembering that the Rams are a team stocked with a LOT of very high draft picks and it was the PAT's who made that physically talented team look very, very bad. The Felger talk will be all about how choppy the offense looked (true btw), without Gronk and how that will be the fatal flaw down the road. The good game on defense, of course, will be minimized because of the quality of the opponent.....and so on, and so on, and so on. :rolleyes:

So now that I've saved you endless hours of listening to the mediots, lets start the breakdown

Thanks for that Ken! ;)

I'm going glass half empty:

No Gronk==> 4 FGs / dink and dunk
No fear of a rookie QB......McCourty repositioned closer to LOS where he actually made plays
Another game...another Brady beating despite dink and dunk
Goff ==> I'm wondering if newly extended Jeff Fisher will ever mention to his QB that throwing away the ball is better than taking sacks
Rams WRs ===>I'm wondering if they practice catching balls during practice, securing balls in practice

Bottom line...
Rams are wretched and Pats scored only 2 TDs .
Resorting to FGs vs a competent offensive team will eventually burn NE.
Ghost had a very successful day though his EPs were close to grazing the uprights.
Without Gronk, McDaniels might want to dust off Charlie Weiss' play book (I think he already did) because I expect the backfield (Lewis) passing game to ramp up even more.
Regarding Bennett's lack of production, I sure hope it is because BB is preserving him for later and not because he he isn't as good as we believe he is.
Our OL continues to scare me and I fear for Brady's health vs Baltimore, a team that is playing big and bad right now
Our DBs will be more than tested next week vs Air Flacco....and despite a great game by NE's pass rushers and DBs this week, next week NE plays a real NFL team capable of exploiting NE's weaknesses ==> secondary/corners/OL

201 W's for TB12....amazing....13.4 wins per year over 15 seasons/playoffs (removed '08)...we are spoiled / I am spoiled (*****ing about a dominant win proves it)

d%#*!@t.

Last edited:
c. Van Noy and McClellan are starting to make their presence felt in a good way. I missed Van Noy's pick but it sounds like it was a great athletic play. McClellan got a lot of snaps against the Run game and showed up well.

Someone above already linked a video of the Van Noy pick, so you'll see for yourself, but to me the best part of that play: It happened because Sheard got a hand on Goff's arm, causing the ball to flutter into the air. Van Noy made a great adjustment on it and showed nice hands to come down with the pick, but if Sheard is getting more motivated and active up front, it's going to go a LONG way for this defense. The rotation of him, Ninko, and Long in this game was outstanding.

If you want to get technical, the refs shouldn't have allowed Fisher's challenge because he didn't throw the red flag as required...............

2015 NFL Rulebook | NFL Football Operations

>>>In each game, a team will be permitted two challenges c that will initiate Instant Replay reviews. The Head Coach will initiate a challenge by throwing a red flag onto the field of play before the next legal snap or kick<<<<

Then again if his cue cards for the Pats' players is 3 years out of date, do you think he ( like Harbaugh) ever read the rule book????

Great post, Ken. But seriously, get your company to make the pizza run! :D

I agree 100% on your "Hate List". Get ready for a rock fight against Baltimore next week. We have a real chance to keep them out of the playoffs if we take care of business.

Ken, great analysis as usual. I missed much of the game and your analysis is always the best place to go in that scenario - even though you missed some too, you still provided great insight.

One thought I would like to provide (if it has not already been said) is that perhaps the team has a more detailed and creative offensive formula in mind for their group post-Gronk, but did not want to necessarily run that gameplan against the Rams with games against Baltimore and Denver upcoming. One could say that they felt they could defeat LA (an NFC team) running a more "vanilla" offense (which they did) and save the juicy stuff for the games that matter much more (quality AFC teams in playoff contention)... Maybe I am overthinking things, but it just makes sense to me to keep the more complex formations under-wraps if you can afford to do so for a week... If I'm right, I can't wait for Harbaby to cry about it!

I've been fairly critical of the defensive style of play this year but really liked what the Pats brought to the table in this game. I know it was against an ill-prepared QB but they made him look like a rookie and didn't just wait for him to just turn into a rookie. The constant pressure made him look bad all game and Sheard did a great job of causing the second interception. Also loved the way the DBs punished the Rams receivers. I know they won't play like this every game but here's hoping they incorporate more of this for the remainder of the year.

Did anyone else hear Edelman yell "I love that sh*t" after taking a series of hits on one of his receptions? I believe he really does :D

Thanks for all the comments and clips. After a full day to ruminate about the game, and see some of the comments, I think there is really nothing definitive about the game that we can take from the future. The defense, of course played very well until the last drive, but whatever positive looks I had about Goff in the first half were lost in his play of the 2nd (though the 66 yd pass was a nice one). The Rams defense played a decent game, but the Pats helped them out with some untimely penalties and a horrid 3rd down conversion rate. 2 additional points.

The game next Monday WILL tell us a lot about the future of the Pats. The Ravens defense has been good all season, especially against the run, and their offense suddenly looks like it found its footing, with both Perryman and Wallace availablt for Flacco to play his chuck and pray long ball offense, and Pitta back to fill the underneath voids. This will be a real tough challenge to the Pats defense. One we should discuss long and hard this week

The second point is something that comes from the clip on the Van Noy pick. I watch both Long and Sheard put great pressure on Goff to the point Sheard might have cause the errant pass. However I couldn't help but notices that BOTH Sheard and Long hesitated in their first step. When you compare their starts to say, Von Miller, you can't help but notice that critical difference. It is one of my long standing pet peeves, because getting a jump on the ball is ONE thing that can be learned and practiced. I contend if either DE had attacked the defender at ths snap of the ball, both would have gotten there. I had the same complaint with CJones when he was here. WHY the hell can't we get a DE that will explode off the snap of the ball. Check it out yourself in this clip on page one, and you will see what I mean.

Van Noy is a monster. Detroit didn't use him the right way.

Did anyone else hear Edelman yell "I love that sh*t" after taking a series of hits on one of his receptions? I believe he really does :D

Yes. He said something similar during SB49 as well.

Thanks for all the comments and clips. After a full day to ruminate about the game, and see some of the comments, I think there is really nothing definitive about the game that we can take from the future. The defense, of course played very well until the last drive, but whatever positive looks I had about Goff in the first half were lost in his play of the 2nd (though the 66 yd pass was a nice one). The Rams defense played a decent game, but the Pats helped them out with some untimely penalties and a horrid 3rd down conversion rate. 2 additional points.

The game next Monday WILL tell us a lot about the future of the Pats. The Ravens defense has been good all season, especially against the run, and their offense suddenly looks like it found its footing, with both Perryman and Wallace availablt for Flacco to play his chuck and pray long ball offense, and Pitta back to fill the underneath voids. This will be a real tough challenge to the Pats defense. One we should discuss long and hard this week

The second point is something that comes from the clip on the Van Noy pick. I watch both Long and Sheard put great pressure on Goff to the point Sheard might have cause the errant pass. However I couldn't help but notices that BOTH Sheard and Long hesitated in their first step. When you compare their starts to say, Von Miller, you can't help but notice that critical difference. It is one of my long standing pet peeves, because getting a jump on the ball is ONE thing that can be learned and practiced. I contend if either DE had attacked the defender at ths snap of the ball, both would have gotten there. I had the same complaint with CJones when he was here. WHY the hell can't we get a DE that will explode off the snap of the ball. Check it out yourself in this clip on page one, and you will see what I mean.
Just a question but is this a symptom of the read and react mindset?

an additional thought: There was a lot of talk today about Ron Rivera's mini punishment of Cam Newton for not wearing a tie on the trip. (btw- I thought it was the right thing to do). But it made me think about the Panther's totally forgetable season after having the most dominant regular season in the NFL since the Pats' 2007 year.

They were not only 15-1, they were killing teams before they came up short in the superbowl. But the fact the Panther's decline after a superbowl loss is a lot more common than you'd think (just look back to the 2002 Pats). At any rate it made me think again at just how spectacular and remarkable this run the Pats have had over the last 16 years.

Think about it. There have been a LOT of good teams that have had SOME success like the Ravens, Steelers, Packers and Giants and all of them have taken a step back after a few years. Sometime the step backs are small and for a short time, but step back's neverthe less. About the only other team we've seen lately that has enjoyed any consistent success has been the Seahawks, and their current run has been for just 4 years, as opposed to the SIXTEEN we've seen here.

This run has just been amazingly remarkable to the point we've developed the tendency to become spoiled and self hating in occasion, but its understandable when you have an entire generation of football fans who have seen nothing but relative success. We've lost the ability to imagine what it's like to be a Bills, Jets, Dolphns, Titans, Oakland, Jags, Bucs, Falcon, Bears, etc, etc fan for the last 16 seasons.

they felt they could defeat LA (an NFC team) running a more "vanilla" offense (which they did) and save the juicy stuff for the games that matter much more
In the same way, it still rankles how many plays (eg the pass to Brady) they wasted in the Philly loss last year.

We had one (Easley) before cutting him. Did he even play yesterday?
That's a good question. I hadn't even thought of him during the game, and it occurred to me today that if Easely had played. He didn't show up on the defensive stat sheet.

Even without Gronk we still hit our average of points per game.
ruined the average against Jeff Fisher teams though, IIRC last two games against him combined score was Patriots 107 Fisher 7. I was hoping for at least the half-century mark, or with Gronk out at least forty.

I saw Easley early on in the game......so he was in for at least a play or two......

I'm going glass half empty:
Another game...another Brady beating despite dink and dunk

What does this mean? Brady with hit a grand total of four times in the game with 0 sacks. How is that a beating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3