PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

From PFT: Mangini wishes he had take-backsies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, if anything he destroyed the tapes before any more of them leaked out and people realized what nonsense they entailed - just MOTS crap everyone in the stadium could see from their seats... And before any steam could be built to investigate claims that everybody does it...and in fact a couple of teams were actually rumored to be attempting to use their tapes in game...

This technical violation of a poorly worded memo paled in comparison to past transgressions like cap evasion by the Broncos whose titles earned with guys they otherwise could not have afforded on their roster never seem to be questioned because they got slapped on the wrist by the former commissioner to the tune of losing a couple of mid round picks. Spygate on the other hand was an opportunity to take Belichick down a notch if not altogether and the media and his jealous rivalsjumped on it and ran with it for all it was worth before cooler heads could prevail.

You're preaching to the Pats Fan Choir, Mo, and most of us sing the same tune. The problem is there are 31 other choirs that have decided to see it differently and, after beating my head against the wall with friends who are passionate fans of other teams, I have concluded there's little we can do to change their minds.

You can go back, if you had nothing to better to do with your time (which I sincerely hope is not the case) and read my posts the week Spygate first broke. I argued that the Krafts would have to start mounting a vigorous and aggressive media campaign immediately or this would get ahead of them and take on a life of its own. The Krafts never did that; it's one of their very few strategic decisions with which I disagree. When the Tomass fabrication broke a few months later, there was no one out there to defend them and they had a lunatic US Senator slandering them without compunction.

The best we can hope is that over the next five or ten years this will begin to recede and the BB/TB era will be remembered only as one of the greatest achievements in the history of the NFL and sports in general. But as long as idiots like Harbaugh and Kurt Warner are saying the things they say, that's not going to happen, no matter how much we dislike it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
wow...this thing is 5 years old and you guys are still full of piss and vinegar over it.

if BB can bring back a backstabbing deion branch.......if the pats can bring back mankins after the crap that he said, then forgiveness to the point where mangini has an opportunity under BB again is certainly a possibility.

BB doesn't do grudges.....he does math.......if mangini can factor in and make a situation better, then BB will bring him in.
If you really believe BB "doesn't do grudges", then ask Charlie Casserly, Chris Collinsworth, Tom Jackson, etc.

Hey! Did you copy that from some of my posts over the years? That's pretty much what I've been saying. You must be a very astute and brilliant person. ;)
Thanks, but, like you, I've posted those sentiments in the past here. Honestly, if I were a Steelers' fan or a Jets' fan (I'd rather be dirt-napping, by the way), my biggest argument would be, "If what the Patriots did wasn't seriously egregious, why didn't they even meekly protest the draconian sanctions imposed upon them?"

If you really believe BB "doesn't do grudges", then ask Charlie Casserly, Chris Collinsworth, Tom Jackson, etc.

if he really does, then he's just as big a jack@ss as the rest of them.........

if he really does, then he's just as big a jack@ss as the rest of them.........
Sorry, but a second glance at those three names (Casserly, Collinsworth and Jackson) renders your claim impossible...

I disagree re Goodell's rookie status. But, otherwise, if this were to be judged purely on equity, then you are right. But, as I said in my post, this was as much a political decision as a decision on the facts.

Your suggestion of it being a "political decision" in itself indicts Goodell, and actually supports my argument that he did not yet have a firm grasp on his office. I really wonder if the penalties would've been as harsh had cameragate occurred last season vs. five years ago.

You're preaching to the Pats Fan Choir, Mo, and most of us sing the same tune. The problem is there are 31 other choirs that have decided to see it differently and, after beating my head against the wall with friends who are passionate fans of other teams, I have concluded there's little we can do to change their minds.

You can go back, if you had nothing to better to do with your time (which I sincerely hope is not the case) and read my posts the week Spygate first broke. I argued that the Krafts would have to start mounting a vigorous and aggressive media campaign immediately or this would get ahead of them and take on a life of its own. The Krafts never did that; it's one of their very few strategic decisions with which I disagree. When the Tomass fabrication broke a few months later, there was no one out there to defend them and they had a lunatic US Senator slandering them without compunction.

The best we can hope is that over the next five or ten years this will begin to recede and the BB/TB era will be remembered only as one of the greatest achievements in the history of the NFL and sports in general. But as long as idiots like Harbaugh and Kurt Warner are saying the things they say, that's not going to happen, no matter how much we dislike it.

The team was ahead of the curve in concluding there was nothing to be gained by engaging in efforts to alter jealousy driven perception. All discussing any of this ever accomplishes is it fuels the debate. They had better things to do, like moving on.

And that is why this will resonate with them. Bill would not have handled the situation the way Harbaugh did. First off he'd be unlikely to place himself in a position to be sucked in because he doesn't have to or care to play grab ass with local radio idiots. Those who get his time play by his rules. Harbaugh needs to keep the media on his side because he hasn't won a damn thing yet...

That said, even the idiot asking the question out of the blue wasn't expecting that reply and he set him up via familial ballwashing to just say no, I'd never do that to get an edge because it crosses a line that has the potential to have far reaching consequences beyond even any punishment the league can imposed. Bill would have given that kind of generic answer at best, if he answered the question at all (aside from saying we always try to operate within the rules - followed by a snort and dead silence indicating it's time to move on). There is no way in hell he mentions two other organizations by name let alone validates perception by claiming their championships now have an asterisk (and I haven't encountered any yet on official sites).

Rings aren't the only thing that most of Bill's so called peers lag behind him in...

wow...this thing is 5 years old and you guys are still full of piss and vinegar over it.

if BB can bring back a backstabbing deion branch.......if the pats can bring back mankins after the crap that he said, then forgiveness to the point where mangini has an opportunity under BB again is certainly a possibility.

BB doesn't do grudges.....he does math.......if mangini can factor in and make a situation better, then BB will bring him in.

You obviously don't get Bill. He's a players coach, way moreso than some of the supposedly touted player coaches who are as quick to publicly toss a player under the bus as they are to blow spoke up his skirt in public. He never begrudges them their money because he knows what it takes and the toll they will pay to just get to the NFL level - although he may not personally be willing to pay it to them depending on what they can or will do for him - because he gets it. If he held any grudges in the Branch situation they were directed towards the agent and Tanny/Ratgini then, too. Filed tampering charges against them just to make that point clear... He knows guys get emotional over feeding their families, water off a duck. Besides, it was Kraft Mankins went after (because players don't want to hint at a problem with Bill because that might make other HC's and GM's question their actual value...).

Mangini wasn't a player, he was a pudgy waterboy wannabe Bill took a shine to in Cleveland and taught everything he knows. Mediots - including former players like Jackson and former GM's like Casserly - are essentially pandering critics who are doing what they're doing because they couldn't do what he does...

Bill does grudges, he just does them in his own way and seldom acknowledges them in public (Casserly would be the exception...LOL). Harbaugh will regret his comments. Already does as a matter of fact. As he should for more than one reason.

Take your regret and rot in hell Eric........

Et tu, Brute?
cassius_brutus.jpg

[ This was a case where he had players and owners calling for suspensions and worse. There are, among fans and even players with lower IQ's, still strong sentiments that Goodell destroyed the tapes and evidence as part of a cover-up of even worse misdeeds (it is a fact that he destroyed them very quickly) to protect one of his most important and powerful owners. I live outside the borders of Patriot Nation and travel all over the country as well; in most places it is a "given" that the Pats "cheated" and that they got away with more than that for which they were held accountable.

I keep hearing about "Goodell destroyed the tapes." "We don't know what was on the tapes".

Sorry folks, but it was only a damn football game. The Patriots readily admitted taping defensive signals and turned over the tapes to the NFL. What the hell could possibly be on the tapes that would be more incrimenating than that. Is it taping close-ups of opposing teams cheerleaders? Do they have film of the grassy knoll? What could be so bad that destroying the tapes would be hiding?

Patriots were caught taping defensive signals. They admitted it, turned over their remaining tapes, and paid a fine. That's it. No more to the story.

I keep hearing about "Goodell destroyed the tapes." "We don't know what was on the tapes".

Sorry folks, but it was only a damn football game. The Patriots readily admitted taping defensive signals and turned over the tapes to the NFL. What the hell could possibly be on the tapes that would be more incrimenating than that. Is it taping close-ups of opposing teams cheerleaders? Do they have film of the grassy knoll? What could be so bad that destroying the tapes would be hiding?

Patriots were caught taping defensive signals. They admitted it, turned over their remaining tapes, and paid a fine. That's it. No more to the story.

What else could be more on the tapes?

Acc to Jay F of Fox sports, apparently few clips of close up shots of cheerleaders.

The Patriots also coughed up a #1 draft pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back