PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Pats WR Terry Glenn killed in car crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP Terry Glenn...

My favorite story was some jackass decided it would be a good idea to ask Glenn about his nutrition habits ... figuring Glenn was such an elite athlete and all.

So Glenn was like don't be asking me. I love fast food Burger King and McDonalds. I drink soda and I love snacks ... funny moment. I can only imagine what kind of cyborg he might have been on the TB12 diet back then.

Sad and tragic ending.

I think it's easy to forget he actually played a big role in a key game for the 2001 Patriots that went on to win the Super Bowl.

Week 5[edit]
The game that decisively turned the 1–3 Patriots season around came against former and future Patriot Doug Flutie along with the 3–1 Chargers' vaunted rookie LaDainian Tomlinson. Unruly receiver Terry Glenn, making his first start of the season after being benched for the opening four games, caught a 21-yard score from Tom Brady and had seven catches for 110 yards total. The Patriots led 16–13 but were struggling on special teams (Bill Belichick called their performance "the worst in a year and a half" afterward); Adam Vinatieri had missed a field goal try and the extra point off Glenn's touchdown, but the real special teams breakdown occurred with less than seven minutes remaining; forced to punt with his team trailing 19–16, Patriots punter Lee Johnson botched the kick and running back Derrick Harris ran in a six-yard score (the miscue cost Johnson his punting job as he was replaced by Ken Walter). But despite being down 26–16, Brady took over, directing a field goal drive, then throwing the game-tying touchdown in the final minute to Jermaine Wiggins. A last-second Wade Richey field goal try fell short, and in overtime Brady picked up a Chargers blitz and led a drive that ended in Vinatieri's 44-yard field goal and a 29–26 Patriots final.

2001 New England Patriots season - Wikipedia

Edit/add: Apparently, also caught Tom Brady's first touchdown pass.
Former NFL WR Terry Glenn Dies at 43 After Car Accident

Last edited:
I had a near death experience there while outside on the steps I heard Lawyer Milloy talking to his agent. Being a consummate wise ass I said something like , "Hey Lawyer, take a Pats discount!" He glared and stepped towards me not looking happy as I ducked back inside behind some linepersons...

Your comment creates a real quandary for me...

I've often posted out here that people who want Pats players to leave hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars on the table to help the team while they have or will have a family to support and are playing a game where the average player survives less than four years, where anyone's career can end on a practice field and where most contracts allow a team to cut a player at any time...I've posted many times that people who support that perspective should "have the guts to say that to the player's face in a parking lot."

Well, gosh darn it, you actually did have the guts to say that to a real (big) player's face in or near a parking lot! So part of me wants to congratulate you and, retroactively, offer to make a contribution towards your medical bills. ;) But, then you scurried away and hid.

So, I guess the glass is either half empty or half full in this case...and, since it's the Holiday Season, I'll just leave it at that. :D

is Parcells happy now?

Parcells traded for Glenn in Dallas and hired him to work as an intern coach in Miami. I would guess Parcells is quite upset. He and Glenn were close, from what I understand.

This is an interesting article from 2003 that gets into Glenn's tough childhood and the relationship between the two of them: Glenn, Parcells go far beyond 'she' remark

While Parcells vows he’ll be as demanding as ever on Glenn, the coach with a gruff reputation also made it clear his devotion to the receiver goes far deeper.

“Look, I don’t care if he plays another down of football,” Parcells said. “I want him to be successful as a person, to be successful in life. That’s what I care about with Terry. ... He’s a good kid. He really is.”

Parcells’ appreciation is centered on all Glenn has overcome to make it to the NFL.

He was 13 when his mother was beaten to death. Abandoned by his father long before, Glenn and his younger sister shuffled between relatives’ home. Then he was taken in by friend June Henley, who went on to become a record-setting running back at Kansas.

Growing up in Columbus, Ohio, Glenn dreamed of playing for his hometown school, Ohio State. He made the team as a walk-on, then earned a scholarship as he blossomed into an All-American. He turned pro after being named the nation’s best receiver as a junior.

Over the course of his rookie season, Glenn and Parcells began to learn to trust and respect each other, forging a strong bond.

“When you have a young man that has had the background and some of the hardships this kid has had, if you can be influential in any manner of speaking, without infringing, I would try to do it,” Parcells said.

In picking up where they left off, Parcells said he’s had to relearn Glenn. It didn’t take long, though, for the teasing to start.

When Glenn made two nice catches in one of the first workouts, Parcells said it was the first plays he’s made in seven years.

“He’s just being funny,” Glenn said, smiling.

So saddened to hear this new today. RIP Terry Glenn. It was nice to see him coming back into the Patriots fold last year in Houston for some fan events before the Super Bowl. He seemed in good spirits.

Condolences to his family, both his direct and his Patriots family..

I was a big Terry Glenn fan. Loved the pick. Watched a lot of him in college.

My two favorite Glenn moments are:

1. The bomb he caught in the Super Bowl from Bledsoe '96
2. One of Pete Carroll's last games with the Patriots. The Patriots fell behind by a lot but when they went to the hurry-up in the 4th quarter, they started piling on the points. Scored twice in a row and they were driving. They had the defense on their heels as they were making a playoff push. Carroll was urging the players, including Bledsoe, to call a timeout, but Bledsoe ignored him. They showed a replay of Glenn lined up for the snap right in front of Carroll, and you could see Glenn's face in his mask, smirking, like "WTF are you doing??"" It was the exact same look Marshawn Lynch gave Carroll after Malcolm Butler's interception.

Tragic. Ugh. I feel awful. There's nothing more to say that hasn't been said.

Great player, I feel horrible for his family

RIP

Damn, taken so young. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back