PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Falcons @ Eagles (-1): Who you got/game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilson’s offense are consistently average to below average in points scored. Even last year during his “amazing season” they scored the same amount of points as an average NFL team. He generally sucks for at least half the game before getting hot.

Wasn't he behind an abysmal O-Line last year? His sack numbers have consistently been mid 40's since 2014 or something, although I'm not sure how much of that is his fault or O-Line.

I feel like when he has a decent pocket, he does quite well. No Brady, of course. Brady barely needs an O-Line lmao

He had the outside cb #21 boxed out so to speak.
Yes, but this is not Philly giving Julio inside leverage as you first wrote & as I was replying to.

(not blaming you; at first glance I didn't notice Julio was lined up inside and switched to the outside on that fade; that was the key to the play)

A pass low and outside would’ve been ideal compared to high. Once that pass went high all the defender had to do was pull Julio’s momentum out of the end zone.

Yes, it was absolutely a terrible throw (he threw it out of bounds, lol), but that's not the fault of the play call. They baited Philly by lining up Julio inside, and sending him outside. Creating a one-on-one for Julio is goal and that's exactly what happened. Bad throw.

This isn't true.

I just watched the replay; Julio was lined up inside in the formation & absolutely did not have inside leverage. ATL's was in a tight 3x2 formation (more room for plays going outside and they lined up Julio on the inside). Philly matched it by playing 3-on-2 (triangle coverage) with the 3rd defender to the inside. So, Philly was absolutely not going to get beat inside. Sure enough, ATL took advantage by having Julio's route go outside, (and ATL's outside WR going inside to pick the 2 inside dbs) and the fade to Julio Jones was a 1-on-1.

Really everything else ATL did sucked (especially the 3 passes before). But that one play wasn't a bad idea. Especially to Julio Jones.

EDIT for video:

Thanks for posting the replay.

I come away from this thinking, how on earth is this NOT Matt Ryan's fault?

The offensive coordinator called a good play, but the timing of the throw was off. It should have arrived earlier. On what planet would the OC intentionally call a play that lands out of bounds? The ball needed to be thrown lower and with more velocity, hitting him in the back shoulder. We see that play all the time.

If you really zero in on Jones and watch it a few times, it looks like Jones is planting his foot and expecting the ball to be there, and he's open. He then instantly jumps as the ball sails high.

But even worse, look the right of the screen. Falcons threw a PERFECT pick play (that wasn't called a penalty.) You can't get more wide open than that; in fact, it looks like that was the primary target, and Ryan didn't even look there. It's like he wilted and threw it to the second option instead, so it was a bad read and a bad pass.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the replay.

I come away from this thinking, how on earth is this NOT Matt Ryan's fault?

The offensive coordinator called a good play, but the timing of the throw was off. It should have arrived earlier. On what planet would the OC intentionally call a play that lands out of bounds? The ball needed to be thrown with more velocity.
This. Matt Ryan blew it. Philly lined up with the exact coverage needed to make that play work; free up Julio Jones one-on-one & Matt Ryan threw it out of bounds.

Also, look the right of the screen. Falcons threw a PERFECT pick play (that wasn't called a penalty.) You can't get more wide open than that; in fact, it looks like that was the primary target, and Ryan didn't even look there. It's like he wilted and threw it to the second option instead.
I wouldn't blame Ryan - or any QB - for this. If you look at Philly's defensive shell; they clearly had a defender in place to take away that quick slant. And that same defender moved out of that position to double the TE instead (only after reading Matt Ryan eyes, for sure). So, if Ryan looked to his right; that same defender would've taken away that pick-play slant.

BTW - Here's one example of all the rules surrounding "triangle" coverage via Belichick's playbook.

Oh stop ****ing whining. He also shredded and put 38 points on the best defense (yards, points and 3rd down) in the nfl 2 weeks prior, the Vikings

26 of 33
352 yards
3 TD

He pulled a Flacco.
Where is the lie in his post? There is none.

Also... Minnesota lost multiple injured starters, either mid-game or the week before. And Philly was playing at home.

Matt Ryan is looking like Chad Pennington. His arm is starting to noodle. Steve Sarkisian thinks his plays at SC throwing east west will work. A lot of their drives went backwards. He is awful and this will be his last year. Todd Gurley would think this is a “high school offense”.

Why was Jones’ jersey the only one dirty? What was the point of drafting Ridley? Wasn’t it to take pressure off of Jones?

Jones continues where he left off last year, gain a bunch of yards without any impact. He must be working out with Jarvis Landry.

“Matty Ice” needs a new nickname like “Matty Choke”.

It would be nice to have a coverage LB like Dion Jones.

Last edited:
Yes, but this is not Philly giving Julio inside leverage as you first wrote & as I was replying to.

(not blaming you; at first glance I didn't notice Julio was lined up inside and switched to the outside on that fade; that was the key to the play)

Yes, it was absolutely a terrible throw (he threw it out of bounds, lol), but that's not the fault of the play call. They baited Philly by lining up Julio inside, and sending him outside. Creating a one-on-one for Julio is goal and that's exactly what happened. Bad throw.

They did a good job of creating the 1 on 1 but I hate the predetermined throw there. Had Ryan read how the position of Julio and the corner was playing out it very likely would’ve been a better throw. Instead he throws it high to a spot as Julio is still running the route.

To stop pregame crap?
I was saying thing were postponed because the NWS issued a weather advisory as strong winds and lightning were in the area

Well, that was dull, eh? I listened to the first half (GamePass), then watched a Hell's Kitchen rerun. The Westwood 1 radio guys were giggling so bad at one point over how bad the game was that the broadcast came to a halt. They sounded like a couple of stoners watching Beavis and Butthead. I don't blame them a bit.

I have no opinion on Matty Ice, except to observe that any adult who allows others to call him "Matty" has no prospect of success in life whatsoever, let alone as a leader of men.

Matt Ryan is looking like Chad Pennington. His arm is starting to noodle. Steve Sarkisian thinks his plays at SC throwing east west will work. A lot of their drives went backwards. He is awful and this will be his last year. Todd Gurley would think this is a “high school offense”.

Why was Jones’ jersey the only one dirty? What was the point of drafting Ridley? Wasn’t it to take pressure off of Jones?

Jones continues where he left off last year, gain a bunch of yards without any impact. He must be working out with Jarvis Landry.

“Matty Ice” needs a new nickname like “Matty Choke”.

It would be nice to have a coverage LB like Dion Jones.

I think there's some truth to what Ramsey said about Ryan. Any halfway decent quarterback should be able to put more than 12 points up on the board with the bevy of weapons he has at his disposal. That said, he would also benefit from an OC that isn't a complete idiot. Sarkisian kept Julio Jones on the sidelines on first, second, third, and fourth down on their first drive of the game that went over on downs. Even if you're planning to run the football, you still want a weapon like Jones in the game because he demands at least one defender's attention (and usually two).

I was saying thing were postponed because the NWS issued a weather advisory as strong winds and lightning were in the area

I'm pretty sure you can let off fireworks during a rain storm, so they don't have to wait another 25 minutes after those are over.

Last edited:
I think there's some truth to what Ramsey said about Ryan. Any halfway decent quarterback should be able to put more than 12 points up on the board with the bevy of weapons he has at his disposal. That said, he would also benefit from an OC that isn't a complete idiot. Sarkisian kept Julio Jones on the sidelines on first, second, third, and fourth down on their first drive of the game that went over on downs. Even if you're planning to run the football, you still want a weapon like Jones in the game because he demands at least one defender's attention (and usually two).

The thing I've noticed about Ryan is that he plays scared. During SB 51, there were multiple clips of him just looking nervous in the 4th quarter when the Pats started to come back. It looked like he was hoping the D would make a play to win the game for him instead of wanting to take it on his shoulders and make a clutch play to seal the game. Elite QBs WANT the ball to win the game. Chokers like Ryan don't want the ball and want someone else to win it for him. And once again, last night when he had an opportunity to win the game he pi$$ed it away.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you can let off fireworks during a rain storm, so they don't have to wait another 25 minutes after those are over.
Maybe so but because of the lightning threat, they postponed the start of the game.

19/34 117 yds and a pick for a 50.7 QB rating and he gets interviewed for the idiotic “philly special.”

Again, way to go defense, this moron shredded you.

Hard to believe Bill couldn’t field a defense to stop this guy. Shoot a couple scarecrows and traffic cones might do the job

Take away from the game is Peterson out coached Quinn . Calling trick play and closing game with running attack. I guess trick plays can be used more than once...

The fact that the falcons have two good backs, and you rarely, if ever, see them on the field at the same time in the red zone is such awful creativity. It’s notre dame levels of inept. Get some option in there or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes