PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some team
Why you wait until the end of the year before you go throwing money around;)

Cam started off great, did and said all the right things, and everyone wants him to a longer contract. I believe everyone will agree that in the beginning, Cam looked great, like his "old self".

He sucks for a couple of games, and now he's a bum. I'd like to think that the coaching staff can see who is regressing and progressing in practice, and if Cam put in the work everyone said he did to get to be the starter, guessing he may still be at the helm for a couple of more games. BB isn't an idiot, and I don't think a good coach jumps ship due to a couple of bad games (fans can be fickle, but coaches generally aren't). I don't think anyone was expecting a win agasin't Kansas City, but if they lose two more with Cam at the helm, particularly with the Jets which would make 4 straight, If you were going to pull the plug on this experiment, it would be by then.
There's a difference between having a bad game and looking like you forgot how to throw a football. Brady has had crappy games but you knew he was probably going to bounce back. With Cam I don't know if he will. This isn't the same QB that we had a month ago. Something has changed and not in a good way.

I believe he's on the clock right now. Season is on the line next week and the week after. If he looks the same against Buffalo - I think he hits IR with the Foxboro Flu and the Pats sign Bortles or some other vet to play a bunch of games and maybe the string. They won't embarrass him by letting him go.

I was so hyped about him. Is Trey Lance a possible fit for us? I do think we will draft top15 next year.

Can the MODS lock this thread now since it's clear that Newton won't get extended.. Hell.. he might not suit up again as a Patriots after tonight's game..

Just change the thread name to "Release Newton" :evil:

I see no reason to make any moves at all......unless the team is in 'sell' mode

Some team

There's a difference between having a bad game and looking like you forgot how to throw a football. Brady has had crappy games but you knew he was probably going to bounce back. With Cam I don't know if he will. This isn't the same QB that we had a month ago. Something has changed and not in a good way.

I believe he's on the clock right now. Season is on the line next week and the week after. If he looks the same against Buffalo - I think he hits IR with the Foxboro Flu and the Pats sign Bortles or some other vet to play a bunch of games and maybe the string. They won't embarrass him by letting him go.
I don't disagree with you, but I do think you do have give him the chance to see if he can bounce back after a couple of bad games as it seemed he earned it. Like I said, if they go 0-2 with the jets being the last lost, then the coaching staff will have some serious head scratching (if not already there).

Cam was a cheap investment with potential big dividends. At the beginning of the season, the dividends looked huge. Now it looks like it could be a loss. You knew the risk of the investment and I do think they will give it another 2 games to see where the investment is going.

I don't get to watch a lot of Pat's games in NC, but likewise, it seems everything went south pretty quick after Cam back from COVD, and I thought Cam swore he was healthy.

Since I don't get to listen to Boston radio, I had read here that Cam seems to be doing a lot more radio up in that market than compared to what he did while he was in NC. What has the feedback been from Cam after last weeks loss and what will it be this week?

I see no reason to make any moves at all......unless the team is in 'sell' mode
If/when they're 3-6 or worse I'd say selling is the best option. It's gonna be a real tough pill to swallow for bill. He may refuse to.

Mike Reiss did some film review and he said there were plays where harry or other receivers were wide open and cam just didnt see them.

So idk what the issue is

A few plays and reviews during the game clearly showed there were wide open receivers like Harry or Byrd.

Why you wait until the end of the year before you go throwing money around;)

Cam started off great, did and said all the right things, and everyone wants him to a longer contract. I believe everyone will agree that in the beginning, Cam looked great, like his "old self".

He sucks for a couple of games, and now he's a bum. I'd like to think that the coaching staff can see who is regressing and progressing in practice, and if Cam put in the work everyone said he did to get to be the starter, guessing he may still be at the helm for a couple of more games. BB isn't an idiot, and I don't think a good coach jumps ship due to a couple of bad games (fans can be fickle, but coaches generally aren't). I don't think anyone was expecting a win agasin't Kansas City, but if they lose two more with Cam at the helm, particularly with the Jets which would make 4 straight, If you were going to pull the plug on this experiment, it would be by then.
At 2-4 you don’t have games to “experiment” with.
It’s not a matter of “bad games” it’s a guy who can’t throw the football accurately or find open receivers.
He may still give the team the best chance to win though if they accept he is what he is and use him that way. My impression is that newton is going out there to try to prove his is a pocket passer. Last year he said he wasn’t going to run any more and Carolina ultimately dumped him. Yesterday I knew we were screwed in the first quarter when we had a 3rd and maybe 4 and he stood in the pocket, couldn’t find a receiver and instead of easily running for the first down he danced around the pocket and ultimately either threw an incomplete pass or a 1 yard pass with no chance of a first down. He didn’t want to run yesterday, and the game was over.
The only way to win with a wildcat Qb which is what he really is, is to run the ball, set up easy throws on early downs to back them off and if you get a 3rd and more than 4 either run a draw or send d retune deep and have scramble.

I'm waiting for at least 3 or 4 more games before I would extend him. The Pats "could" end up losing 4 of the next four and you're looking at a 20M-30M, whatever, quarterback on the books and a 2-4 team that could just as easily be 2-4 with Stidham at 600K or whatever...pretty sure Newton can be franchised, can't he?
A very wise man said the above...he also said Gilmore would take a step back...two for two, I am

I was so hyped about him. Is Trey Lance a possible fit for us? I do think we will draft top15 next year.
there might be some QBs available in FA. I personally think Baker Mayfield would be a good QB in our system. I get it, he is polarizing like Cam, but with proper coaching and system, he would thrive. He looked good yesterday as they looked to get the ball out fast. QBs like him might be available

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes