PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of those teams tanked and I didn't say it was simple. I said we have to scout the next guy and get him. If that means bundling picks to go get him then we need to do it. This is the most important position and the Patriots are the best franchise in football.
Or just pay Cam who actually went to a SB and put up similar stats as Brady against the same team a week before

In our 2 wins this season Cam Newton is averaging 160 yards passing.

You don't pay $30m for that.

We won because of our running game and defense.
Cam helps in the running game lol

How do we know the other guy would succeed here though?

Let's be clear. I would prefer that we extend Cam. My point is that the alternative for 2021 is NOT the draft. It is another veteran.

This is not only about this offseason, if BB had handled his business somewhere in the last 3 years by giving him a proper contract extension it would not of come to this. There was a contract issue every single year since beating Atlanta.
There should be with a 40+ qb.

Or just pay Cam who actually went to a SB and put up similar stats as Brady against the same team a week before
I am sure that is on the table. But Cam has the injury history to consider and is a better runner than passer. Much depends on how much Bill is willing to commit.

There should be with a 40+ qb.
He won the SB vs Atlanta, did he look done there? He was MVP the next season, how about then? Could of had him either of those offseasons on long term deals but refused. Yes he was 40 and yes it's a consideration but I guess nothing else matters. This should of been handled years ago, it's not as simple as saying 'Brady left'. That is the point. I think it's tough to sign a 40 year old QB to a multi year deal but this was perhaps an exception. Or maybe don't add nonsense performance based metrics to his 1 year deal in an attempt to compromise. I mean give me a break. The way we have done contracts over the years has been tremendous for us, but the last few years of Brady's career here is not an example of that. It's a **** up.

Last edited:
He won the SB vs Atlanta, did he look done there? He was MVP the next season, how about then? Could of had him either of those offseasons on long term deals but refused. Yes he was 40 and yes it's a consideration but I guess nothing else matters. This should of been handled years ago, it's not as simple as saying 'Brady left'. That is the point. I think it's tough to sign a 40 year old QB to a multi year deal but this was perhaps an exception. Or maybe don't add nonsense performance based metrics to his 1 year deal in an attempt to compromise. I mean give me a break. The way we have done contracts over the years has been tremendous for us, but the last few years of Brady's career here is not an example of that. It's a **** up.
So you wanted to tie up a 43 year old QB to a long term deal. Ok. The team, and evidently all other teams disagreed.
No other team offered him a long term deal.
If Brady wanted to stay he would be here. To say he left because the team wouldn’t give him a 5 year deal at 42 is a little silly.
You seem very emotional about this. Perhaps you should just realize the team had to consider the ramifications of a long term contract to the oldest QB ever and the player just wanted to go play somewhere else and “have fun” after the rigors of playing for a franchise that expects what this one does.

So you wanted to tie up a 43 year old QB to a long term deal. Ok. The team, and evidently all other teams disagreed.
No other team offered him a long term deal.
If Brady wanted to stay he would be here. To say he left because the team wouldn’t give him a 5 year deal at 42 is a little silly.
You seem very emotional about this. Perhaps you should just realize the team had to consider the ramifications of a long term contract to the oldest QB ever and the player just wanted to go play somewhere else and “have fun” after the rigors of playing for a franchise that expects what this one does.
You think his contract was handled accordingly from deflategate on? You think other top tier QBs would of had the patience and stayed? Ok dude. Tom just left last year nothing else matters. Nothing NE could of done.

I would not be surprised to see Tampa extend him this offseason and the deal take him through age 45/46.

A safe play would be to jump on him now, knowing our backups can't tread water with this team. Id almost want to see how he does with half a season under his belt first before pulling the trigger, or seeing how durable he ends up being. With that said, I wouldn't disagree with pulling the trigger after watching last night.

A safe play would be to jump on him now, knowing our backups can't tread water with this team. Id almost want to see how he does with half a season under his belt first before pulling the trigger, or seeing how durable he ends up being. With that said, I wouldn't disagree with pulling the trigger after watching last night.
the longer wait, the more it costs.

As an aside, I'm not as down on Stidham as others. He played the top team in the NFL. He came in behind, to try to effect a miracle without TE's and with weak receivers. Lots of QB's might have failed.

That being said, my hope for Stidham was always that he be a backup, a fine use of a 4th rounder, and the money that the team pays him.

Still want to wait before an extension. The good thing is Cam is not in a hurry either, or so it seems.

You think his contract was handled accordingly from deflategate on? You think other top tier QBs would of had the patience and stayed? Ok dude. Tom just left last year nothing else matters. Nothing NE could of done.
They did what they could with the oldest qb in NFL history. They put emotion aside. That’s their job.
When a QB hits 40 and even as they approach 40 the chance of career ending injury or skill destroying injury is high. You can’t just ignore that. Brady at 43 is not Brady at 39.
They did pretty much the same thing as the saints did with Brees except Brees didn’t demand the tag option removed and stated clearly he didnot want to go any where else. Brady didn’t leave over money. He left because he was done being a patriot.

Extending Cam would be a bigger mistake than letting Brady go without a viable option.

Most SB's are won by elite QB's that are passers first. Not all but most.
Brady (8), Big Ben (2), PEDton (2), Wilson, Mahomes, Warner, Brees and Rodgers account for 17 of the last 20, unless I'm missing someone. They also represent most of the teams that made it to the SB but lost.
I think we need a quarterback. Good quarterbacks don't grow on trees. Cam Newton is "probably" better than anybody we can sign for the next 3-5 years. I say probably because maybe we hit the jackpot in the draft or sign a really good veteran who can carry the torch.

I really don't want us to start 2021 with Stid/Hoyer as our two quarterbacks. I feel way more comfortable with Cam,

They did what they could with the oldest qb in NFL history. They put emotion aside. That’s their job.
When a QB hits 40 and even as they approach 40 the chance of career ending injury or skill destroying injury is high. You can’t just ignore that. Brady at 43 is not Brady at 39.
They did pretty much the same thing as the saints did with Brees except Brees didn’t demand the tag option removed and stated clearly he didnot want to go any where else. Brady didn’t leave over money. He left because he was done being a patriot.
I've been curious and just want to know why your opinion has changed so dramatically. I'm not trying to start a debate here, but am genuine curious and have been about this. For the last few years you've been saying we should ride Brady as long as possible and getting rid of him would be stupid. Has your opinion changed or did you feel it was finally the right time?

I've been curious and just want to know why your opinion has changed so dramatically. I'm not trying to start a debate here, but am genuine curious and have been about this. For the last few years you've been saying we should ride Brady as long as possible and getting rid of him would be stupid. Has your opinion changed or did you feel it was finally the right time?
I would have ridden him to the end because I was willing to accept the consequences to see him finish his career here.
I also understand why the team did not.
I also recognized over the second half of last year that the end was near.

The Pats didn’t really let brady walk brady chose to walk. Yes if a bidding war had occurred the patriots were not going all in on a 43 year old QB, but they would have given him the same contract Tampa did.
So any conclusions of what their logic was in him leaving are not real.

How do you know that?

IMHO Brady wanted to stay here and finish his career with the Pats.

I think we need a quarterback. Good quarterbacks don't grow on trees. Cam Newton is "probably" better than anybody we can sign for the next 3-5 years. I say probably because maybe we hit the jackpot in the draft or sign a really good veteran who can carry the torch.

I really don't want us to start 2021 with Stid/Hoyer as our two quarterbacks. I feel way more comfortable with Cam,

I'm sure Bill will have options in 2021, including a Cam redo, but why did he leave us without a QB in 2020? That's my beef.

Now that we have Cam signed for cheap money there's absolutely no reason to give him another dollar until we know for sure what's out there in 2021.

I wouldn't give up on Stidham yet, but Hoyer is definitely washed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes