PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't that a decent thing to do. Cam is playing for less money than Nathan Peterman. If he continues to have a big year you give him a contract. Using the franchise tag after balling out on an egregiously low salary (NFL-wise) is a slap in the face.
Cam signed an incentive laden contract, he’ll make more than Peterman. Belichick is never emotional when he does contracts. I’m not against them extending him, but let’s wait a bit. There’s no rush. We don’t need to jump the gun after 2 games.

He had a good game. He is not an accurate QB.

He's been passing 75% through 2 games against good defenses and with crappy Patriot receivers. And put up almost 400 yards passing again with a sub-par supporting cast. Cam Newton is an ACCURATE throwing quarterback.

He's been passing 75% through 2 games against good defenses and with crappy Patriot receivers. And put up almost 400 yards passing again with a sub-par supporting cast. Cam Newton is an ACCURATE throwing quarterback.

i wouldn’t call Seattle defense good this year and in the game Sunday they had, I think, 4 players injured and out during the game on defense.

he played very well don’t get me wrong but he hasn’t a 73 % completion percentage over 2 games throwing against top 5 defenses.

Good defenses? Edelman and a #1 pick are crappy? Accuracy and completion percentage are not the same thing.

The problem is that you don't generally make it to 40 as a "dual-threat" QB. (Brady barely made TB1K. Peyton Manning didn't, and Drew Brees probably won't make it there either.) Few of them make it to 35.

I didn't watch the game last night but the word I heard is that Brees didn't play well and looked old.

Cam has made $120m over his career so far. I believe the most he’s made in a single year is $24m.

As someone mentioned previously...offer $25 per for the next 4 years including this one.

pats should look at if not extending, re-signing cam newton.

I hate this take that "oh the patriots wont be able to pay him." Starting QB's are expensive. If you want to cheap out you gonna end up with stidham/hoyer.

even look at what Jimmy G got. Bill is gonna have to pay sooner or later

I'm waiting for at least 3 or 4 more games before I would extend him. The Pats "could" end up losing 4 of the next four and you're looking at a 20M-30M, whatever, quarterback on the books and a 2-4 team that could just as easily be 2-4 with Stidham at 600K or whatever...pretty sure Newton can be franchised, can't he?

i dont think they would be losing games because of Cam tho, he has a history in this league of performing at an elite level and hes shown that through 2 games of regular season this year

In terms of risk, this is about as low risk as it gets

You can’t wait 3-4 more games. You can go at least one more game. But say we face the Chiefs and Cam has a great game...then it gets dicey. You’ve gotta take a risk sometimes. A risk for a franchise QB over the next 3 years is something you jump on.

i dont think there is really any inherent risk in extending Cam long term at this point. The only question mark about Cam was around his ability to return to form after those injuries he sustained, and he's shown that he is in fact recovered from those and is playing at a high level

they do need to talk to him about protecting himself more, make him watch some tape of Lamar Jackson who does a great job of getting rushing yards without taking vicious hits. For Cam tho in terms of his talent as a QB, he's a top 10 talent and I would pay him accordingly

I'd pay the market rate for a quality starting QB, around $25m per year, possibly more

I think people here are spoiled by brady taking hometown discounts all these years and think you have to pay below market rates for a QB. They need to adjust to the new reality that if you want good QB play you need to pay for it. Bradys contracts were the opposite of the norm. Unless you want to go with the likes of the hoyers and Andy daltons and win 5-6 games a year..

I mean even if we went with Jimmy G instead of Brady we wouldve had to pay him 25-30million$...

Hahaah, no.

Two terrible goal line reads at the end lost the game. Sure, the stat sheet says otherwise but those two plays were "gotta have 'em" and Cam didn't make the right read on either.

There's a lot of football left to play and there's no way Bill is going to extend Cam this early in the season.

What makes you believe that Cam made the wrong read? Belichick stated in the post-game presser that they went with their best play and the Seahawks just made a great play....

Where is this evidence that Cam was making bad reads and cost them the game? That is the first hot take I've heard from that perspective

His agent would do him a disservice if he let his client sign a contract in the middle of a season where he is playing well.

he could just as easily blow his knee out in week 8 and miss out on another big payday, with another offseason recovering from an injury

If the Patriots made a fair offer, im sure they would definitely consider it

I think people here are spoiled by brady taking hometown discounts all these years and think you have to pay below market rates for a QB. They need to adjust to the new reality that if you want good QB play you need to pay for it. Bradys contracts were the opposite of the norm. Unless you want to go with the likes of the hoyers and Andy daltons and win 5-6 games a year..

I mean even if we went with Jimmy G instead of Brady we wouldve had to pay him 25-30million$...
I agree. Bill will have to pay at the QB for legit talent. That being said, I don't want to pay Cam yet. Let the season play out and see if defenses start to figure him out as remember no tape at all, no preseason even. Let's see how he looks mid-season to end of season and if he can stay healthy too.

Lotta broken kneecaps in this thread. Both ways.

what's the deal with the franchise tag? is there anything in the contract that prevents the pats from using it?

The franchise tag for QBs is so enormous that it would make more financial sense to just get a deal done than to strap their cap by $30+ million next year with a franchise tag

Elite QBs are incredibly rare to have just stumble into your lap. Cam is an elite QB who has shown he's completely recovered from his past injuries and is playing at a high level. There is no more risk with Cam than there would be with any other QB in terms of injury risk, i mean Cam's might be slightly higher with his running game but most of his serious injuries were sustained in the pocket, not while he was scrambling

If we lose Cam to FA, we'll be in QB purgatory searching for another and hoping we can find one sooner rather than later.. not a great spot to be in

Let’s hope every team tries to cover Edelman with a safety.

I don't really think you're helping your argument by continuing to beat the Edeman was covered by a Safety drum. That Safety is Jamaal Adams, who is an all-pro and arguably the best safety in the league right now

Jamaal Adams impact was enormous in that game, so enormous that if he were to have been inactive the Patriots would've had the game wrapped up by start of the 4th quarter

Adams was killing us all night long, that was a huge pickup for the Seahawks and might be what they need to put them over the top as a contender

The franchise tag for QBs is so enormous that it would make more financial sense to just get a deal done than to strap their cap by $30+ million next year with a franchise tag

Elite QBs are incredibly rare to have just stumble into your lap. Cam is an elite QB who has shown he's completely recovered from his past injuries and is playing at a high level. There is no more risk with Cam than there would be with any other QB in terms of injury risk, i mean Cam's might be slightly higher with his running game but most of his serious injuries were sustained in the pocket, not while he was scrambling

If we lose Cam to FA, we'll be in QB purgatory searching for another and hoping we can find one sooner rather than later.. not a great spot to be in

i get what you’re saying, but in the same vein as keeping thuney at 14M this year, there is plenty of cap space and flexibility to keep someone at 31M next year.....or extend based off of that or even trade.....

paying him the franchise for one year seems to be possible without damning the team with releasing valuable players

I understand the health concerns, but I still think sticking with Cam Newton is the better decision if you compare our alternative. I'm going off the idea that finding good quarterbacks is not easy and it seems like (based off the data we have so far) that Cam Newton seems healthy and also is playing really well.

We gave up Brady and I'm at peace with that, but giving up a second good quarterback just because you don't want to pay them is a strategy that works until you are stuck with a bad quarterback. Also, I think 2020 Cam is better than 2019 Brady however we will see as the season goes on if this play continues.

Yup, at the end of the day you have to pay your QB. You might get super lucky with a Maholmes or R. Wilson type on their rookie contract for a few years, but ultimately you have to bust out the check book to have a QB that can keep your team relevant.

We're not going to be able to get by on a JAG, middle tier, garage sale bargain QB like we do with some other positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes