PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adams was abused by the Patriots when he was in coverage.

Adams is an amazing strong safety and a difference maker in the box, which both play well with TV highlight packages. But he is certainly not even close to elite when it comes to coverage. That's why some people really disagree with how much the Seahawks had to give up in addition to that big contract he is looking for.

Then again the Seahawks were fine giving Chancellor 12M APY back in 2017 but that came without trading away two first round picks on top.

My point is simply that, given his injury history and style of play, it's unreasonable to think that Newton is a true "QB of the future," a guy you expect to be the starter (barring Alex Smith-type injuries) 5-10 years from now.

If Cam can give this team another window of 3 years to compete that is more than enough. Going back to the draft and trying to find a future franchise QB can wait that long.

I see Newton and the offense being a real pain in the a** for defenses, but BB needs to trade for a WR give Edelman a break. He would've caught that TD pass on the final drive if he wasn't so exhausted. Harry needs more looks with intermediate/deeper routes like he did on the final drive. Enough with the jet sweep, bubble screens. RB's need to get better.

And yes, extend Newton by week 8 if they in playoff contention/division winner. I see Newton as the immediate future of this team. Aside from the idiot GM's not trading a measly 4th rounder for Trent Williams, not signing Cam was the biggest blunder for GM's this off season.

I'd love to see them go vertical. This team hasn't had any threat of a vertical deep passing game in years. Then once teams have to back off they will get gashed with the run.

I see Newton and the offense being a real pain in the a** for defenses, but BB needs to trade for a WR give Edelman a break. He would've caught that TD pass on the final drive if he wasn't so exhausted. Harry needs more looks with intermediate/deeper routes like he did on the final drive. Enough with the jet sweep, bubble screens. RB's need to get better.

And yes, extend Newton by week 8 if they in playoff contention/division winner. I see Newton as the immediate future of this team. Aside from the idiot GM's not trading a measly 4th rounder for Trent Williams, not signing Cam was the biggest blunder for GM's this off season.
Would you sign him for 3 years at 90 mil? Half or so guaranteed? I would do that deal right now. I know alot of people here think he'll be in for 25mil or less, but those are probably the same folks who thought TB would take 18mil. He's look very good so far and has had a great attitude.

Just for reference, Brady's stats after 2 games in 2019:
2 wins (33-3 vs Pitt; 43-0 vs Miami). 5 TDs, 605 yards passing, No picks. 68 percent completion. 124 passer rating.
Noted, but being 42-43, I'm not surprised he couldn't keep it up 16 games. Not saying 2019 was Brady's fault by the way. I just think Brady needs playmakers now. Cam can still play without them.

Would you sign him for 3 years at 90 mil? Half or so guaranteed? I would do that deal right now. I know alot of people here think he'll be in for 25mil or less, but those are probably the same folks who thought TB would take 18mil. He's look very good so far and has had a great attitude.
90 million for a three year window isn't bad, especially since this year we basically got him free. Good value and keeps us at least in the hunt.

Just for reference, Brady's stats after 2 games in 2019:
2 wins (33-3 vs Pitt; 43-0 vs Miami). 5 TDs, 605 yards passing, No picks. 68 percent completion. 124 passer rating.

And what happened after they started playing good teams? Cam has played one great team and went toe to toe with them.

Also for reference: through week 2 Brady has the 30th ranked QBR in the league out of 34 quarterbacks.

Really no reason to think the Patriots offense would be any better off with Brady this year instead of Cam other than Bradyite hopes and dreams...

90 million for a three year window isn't bad, especially since this year we basically got him free. Good value and keeps us at least in the hunt.
Ya I agree it would be great value, even with the cap not moving up next season. I think BB will wait and try to sign him after the season if he can get through 16 games. Should be interesting to see, as long as JE11 doesn't get his head blown up first.

And what happened after they started playing good teams? Cam has played one great team and went toe to toe with them.

Also for reference: through week 2 Brady has the 30th ranked QBR in the league out of 34 quarterbacks.

Really no reason to think the Patriots offense would be any better off with Brady this year instead of Cam other than Bradyite hopes and dreams...
I love Brady. With that said, I think healthy Cam beats Tennessee in playoffs last season, though we likely still fall in Divisional round.

I love Brady. With that said, I think healthy Cam beats Tennessee in playoffs last season, though we likely still fall in Divisional round.

I'm sure at least a Cam offense wouldn't have whiffed on first and goal at the 1. That to me wrapped up the 2019 season for the offense with a nice bow.

Yes.

I'm sure at least a Cam offense wouldn't have whiffed on first and goal at the 1. That to me wrapped up the 2019 season for the offense with a nice bow.
Refresh my memory on what happened?

Hard to say but I could see it. Playing that game though, I see TB beating the Broncos in the Superbowl on a neutral site, even with all the injuries they had that year. I'd resign him right now, but lets see how it all plays out before we can say if he's capable of winning big games for us.

Refresh my memory on what happened?

On that sequence they went Sony for a loss, Burkhead for a 1 yard gain, Sony for a loss, field goal. That was the difference in the ballgame. Went from one of the best red zone offenses in 2018 to no red zone offense in 2019 and this year so far back to a great red zone offense.

Hard to say but I could see it. Playing that game though, I see TB beating the Broncos in the Superbowl on a neutral site, even with all the injuries they had that year. I'd resign him right now, but lets see how it all plays out before we can say if he's capable of winning big games for us.
I'd definitely choose 2015-2016 Brady over Newton, despite the MVP season. I just think Brady has lost something over last two seasons. Almost like he can no longer elevate receivers but more needs them to succeed.

I'd definitely choose 2015-2016 Brady over Newton, despise the MVP season. I just think Brady has lost something over last two seasons. Almost like he can no longer elevate receivers but more needs them to succeed.
Ya I didn't say that to start that discussion again, only to illustrate that you can't really play the 'if' game. It's not hard to imagine them winning that game though, but I still think it's an unfair comparison. Not like Newton wasn't in his prime when he wet the bed at the SB. Anyways, I hope he continues to play well and then doesn't try and max out his deal. If he does we'll be looking at Stid next year. We may be 0-2 right now if he had started.

Really no reason to think the Patriots offense would be any better off as good with Brady this year instead of Cam other than Bradyite hopes and dreams...
FIFY

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back