PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
not that its a surprise(its been 3games). But the beat writers are saying its too soon to be talking extension and the team wants to see how he does over a long season

Wonder how the "bill should go forward with journeymen and not pay a QB" crowd is doing now..

Wonder how the "bill should go forward with journeymen and not pay a QB" crowd is doing now..
Bill is out of his mind if he doesn't extend Cam or at the very least gets us a decent quarterback. We can't use journeymen to take us where we want to go. Eventually you need to PAY the quarterback. This game needs to be a reality check. We have a good enough quarterback in Cam. Letting him walk so we can save cap won't ever win us another superbowl in my opinion,

Bill is out of his mind if he doesn't extend Cam or at the very least gets us a decent quarterback. We can't use journeymen to take us where we want to go. Eventually you need to PAY the quarterback. This game needs to be a reality check. We have a good enough quarterback in Cam. Letting him walk so we can save cap won't ever win us another superbowl in my opinion,

No team has ever won with journeymen QBs. You need an elite qb to win in the nfl. Tonight is proof as the horrid QB play is what cost us the game. We probably win with cam newton.

But because brady took hometown discounts and Cam newton is trying to prove himself some people think you shouldn't pay QBs

No team has ever won with journeymen QBs. You need an elite qb to win in the nfl. Tonight is proof as the horrid QB play is what cost us the game. We probably win with cam newton.

But because brady took hometown discounts and Cam newton is trying to prove himself some people think you shouldn't pay QBs
You don't need an elite QB if you have a really good defense.

With that said, you need a quarterback, not a passer. We need to extend Cam.

Yeah if Cam aint back next year we are probably gonna go through some tough times. Not sure what next year's QB class looks like though

The Ravens won with a jag in 2000, trent dilfore. Brady was no superstar when the pats won their first sb. so yes you can win a sb with an average qb and a great defense.

You don't need an elite QB if you have a really good defense.

With that said, you need a quarterback, not a passer. We need to extend Cam.
You need a historically good defense like the 2015 Broncos or 2000 Ravens and those are impossible to sustain at that level more than a year or two. Too much of a grind.

Basically to maintain contender status you need a QB

Hoyer was worse than a journeyman tonight. He was bad.

I honestly don’t know the Pats would be in any different situation right now if Ryan Fitzpatrick was the QB.

Hoyer was worse than a journeyman tonight. He was bad.

I honestly don’t know the Pats would be in any different situation right now if Ryan Fitzpatrick was the QB.
Stid played better than Hoyer. Fitz would too.

Only reason we got 3 points with Hoyer was because of a lucky bounce and catch not even intended for that receiver

Stid played better than Hoyer. Fitz would too.

Only reason we got 3 points with Hoyer was because of a lucky bounce and catch not even intended for that receiver
For a while there, I deluded myself to think what if Stid plays well, Cam is going to have a hard time getting his job back. So why did BB stay with Stid and not draft any QB? That Fromm kid was there. BB made me think Stid could be it. He is two season away from being ready.

For a while there, I deluded myself to think what if Stid plays well, Cam is going to have a hard time getting his job back. So why did BB stay with Stid and not draft any QB? That Fromm kid was there. BB made me think Stid could be it. He is two season away from being ready.
I'm starting to get more and more convincewe extend Cam. This game proves with Cam we're a playoff team. Without Cam we're just not good on offense.

I knew this would happen someday but Brady being around for 20 years kinda blinded people from what most teams face. The NFL norm isn’t having a super elite QB who makes the offense better and can take control of games while rarely being injured and taking below market contracts. It just isn’t.

We needed a game like tonight to show what the difference is between having a real NFL caliber starter and mediocre journeyman that come at a discount would be.

Cam will cost a lot, but he will win you games just for having him do what is expected in games like tonight (ignore needing heroics). Hoyer and Stidham will be bargains, but your defense can serve a game on a silver platter and they aren’t able to just take it.

Guys like Jimmy and Cousins who aren’t as good as Cam will cost more than you want to pay them as well.

At some point you have to bite the bullet. This is a very different league since before Brady got here

I knew this would happen someday but Brady being around for 20 years kinda blinded people from what most teams face. The NFL norm isn’t having a super elite QB who makes the offense better and can take control of games while rarely being injured and taking below market contracts. It just isn’t.

We needed a game like tonight to show what the difference is between having a real NFL caliber starter and mediocre journeyman that come at a discount would be.

Cam will cost a lot, but he will win you games just for having him do what is expected in games like tonight (ignore needing heroics). Hoyer and Stidham will be bargains, but your defense can serve a game on a silver platter and they aren’t able to just take it.

Guys like Jimmy and Cousins who aren’t as good as Cam will cost more than you want to pay them as well.

At some point you have to bite the bullet. This is a very different league since before Brady got here

It what sense would Stidham or Hoyer be bargains?

It what sense would Stidham or Hoyer be bargains?
In the sense that you would pay less than the unrealistic prices people think Cam will go for.

If a Matt Ryan is Kirk Cousins or Jimmy G was on the market right now, we are still talking 35 million to get them at a minimum

I don't think Cam will command top dollar on his new contract. I don't see him signing with a terrible Franchise to chase the $$ like you see most NFL FAs do. Cam has always been about winning since coming into the NFL. I see Cam signing a Brady type "hometown discount" sort of deal to stay with NE if this season reaches it potential and one thing tonight showed is that NE does have an elite defense and at the very least elite coaching that still works in today's game. Just a magnificent effort by that unit. This team can definitely make a deep playoff push when firing on all cylinders with a healthy Oline and Cam. Will be interesting to see what happens this season it's still very early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes