PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cam is the only athlete we have on offense. We need him.

And he's under contract and not going anywhere.

Just saying there's no point in extending him this instant. For one, his value is at its absolute highest. If he continues to play effectively for the next 8 games, he'll be just as expensive as he'd be today.

It would be a real headscratcher for the front office to commit to anything for the time being.

Brady's age drove all subsequent events, and the Pats/BB managed this about as well as anyone could have. When Jimmy G was drafted Brady was turning 37. BB kept Brady over JG when he was 40. I don't blame the team for insisting on 1 year deals at that point, Tom could've hit the wall at any point. I'd say we got the most out of Tom Brady and got out at the right time. He was the best ever, but it was time. Also the team as a whole needed a year to restock, and letting him walk provided the cap space to do that.

We lucked into getting a Cam Newton. He's 31 and possibly just entering his prime. Fantastic skill set, and way underrated intangibles. He unlocks parts of the playbook never used here. He'll attract free agents. Plus we have him this year for pennies, which makes a negotiation for the next 3-4 years relatively easy. If he's not our QB for the next 5 years I'll be shocked.

That runs completely counter to the Cam is the most abused QB in the entire history league because of his size and the ref's hate him rhetoric which has been propagated by Camther fans for years.

What are we to believe?

Both can be true, right? Seems Luuked is talking about Cam’s two games in NE, not necessarily his career.

Never underestimate Cam.
hahahahaha I mean, each person has their own agenda... I wish i had the confidence to think "I make a team SB caliber by myself" that most pro athletes do

He went on the radio this week and said going forward it's not about the cash --- it's about the respect.

Cam needs to find a way to stick with the Patriots for the foreseeable future.
Too ambiguous. It might just mean he wants a max payday in order to feel respected and isn't giving hometown discounts

Too ambiguous. It might just mean he wants a max payday in order to feel respected and isn't giving hometown discounts
Respect always equals money in the sports world.

Respect always equals money in the sports world.

He literally said out loud that he has made a lot of money already in his career and it is not about money for him anymore but respect. And then in case this is still to ambiguous for some of the big brains around here he mentioned how his father instilled in him that:
I do believe this: a wise man once said, and that wise man is my father, 'All blessings do not come in financial means.

I mean it doesn't get any more obvious that he is talking about respect as a QB and a winner. It is all there on the surface, there is no hidden message or parsing necessary.

Now will he accept a vet min deal ? Hell no. But the way he is talking right now he will also not look for a top of the market level payday.

Jesus..

If any team can get a hometown discount it's the Pats, everyone knows they are one of the best coached teams in the NFL and one of the best bets if you want to get playoff wins. If Newton wants to win a ring you might be able to get something done.

I just think those examples are not normal or sustainable. other than Brady how many elite QB's do you see take below market deals? And cam newtons situation is not normal or something that will happen every offseason. Everyone thought cam was washed which is why they got him for so cheap.
What Bill does is definitely not normal. I just think he puts a value on everything and doesn't go above it. Above we see the hot take that BB needs to be prepared to go $39M/year because that's what Cam will expect. I don't see Bill doing that, it puts too much value on one position. Bill is the guy who went 11-4 with Matt Cassel, was not willing to go $25M for two years with Brady, and was ready to roll with Stid and Hoyer (Cam just confirmed BB didn't reach out till June). I don't see him slapping down that kind of money for one position, especially if the cap is going to go down. I think BB will look at this team in the off season, see all the holes and aging players and decide he'd be better off spreading that money across several different players rather than one elite QB.

I honestly never like the Patriots because they won so much. Just being honest. Never liked Dallas either in the 90's, and still don't as well LMAO.

Never really cared for Cam or Carolina even though I lived in NC for 2 decades, but for whatever reason, would love to see Cam succeed in New England and actually rooting for the Patriots for both parties success.

The ONE thing I've always admired about the Patriots is that they seemed to win, win continuously, and always seemed like they didn't break the bank to win by brining in "big name" hi priced stars (I could be wrong as I really never followed New England, and Randy Moss comes to mind, but forgot where he was at per his prime).

It's a knee Jerk reaction to want to keep a guy that looks so good in a short amount of time at "top dollar" for a long term commitment, but I don't think it would ever happen with the Patriots organization (could be wrong).

The Patriots took a low risk with Cam, and it can pay huge dividends for both parties as long as Cam doesn't get greedy IF (and that's a big if) he's continually successful on the playing field.

End of the year and Cam leads the Pats to the playoffs? Yes, Cam should be rewarded, but Cam shouldn't also get greedy and he should think about some loyalty to the organization who gave him a break. Have no doubt that the Pats will make the pay generous, but probably not with stupid money.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but although I really never liked Tom Brady (as noted, I never liked Michigan's QB's to start with so please don't take the comment personal), but didn't Tom Brady take pay cuts to keep the Patriots competivie over the years? Perhaps I read bad info on Brady's salary, but although I may not of liked Tom as football player, I grew a lot of respect for the man because he seemed to ensure that the team wasn't forgotten about. The reality is when you get even 5 million a year, unless you're really stupid with your money, you'll be rich money wise for the rest of your life. The added reality was Tom Brady was probably one of the highest paid Patriots (or am I wrong there), but it seemed like he never got greedy due to his success.

If Cam is successful this year and the Patriots make him a very rich man for his reward, but Cam gets greedy and feels like he isn't being paid what other top tier QB's are making per stupid money, show him the door and make sure it hit's his butt on the way out.

The added reality is this is only the 3rd week. Anyone with half a brain will wait to see how his body plays out by the end of year IMO.

The Patriots took a low risk with Cam, and it can pay huge dividends for both parties as long as Cam doesn't get greedy IF (and that's a big if) he's continually successful on the playing field.

End of the year and Cam leads the Pats to the playoffs? Yes, Cam should be rewarded, but Cam shouldn't also get greedy and he should think about some loyalty to the organization who gave him a break. Have no doubt that the Pats will make the pay generous, but probably not with stupid money.
Cam said it isn't about the money. I guess I'm skeptical. He's on a 'prove it' deal, if he 'proves it' by having an 'elite QB' year he's going to be tempted to test the market looking for 'elite QB' money. I think it's something he should do: he could get the kind of money that would secure his future and that of his children and grandchildren the instant he signs the contract. All it takes is one team to get the hots for him and he's golden. I think teams will see what BB got out of him and presume they can do the same.

I honestly never like the Patriots because they won so much. Just being honest. Never liked Dallas either in the 90's, and still don't as well LMAO.

Never really cared for Cam or Carolina even though I lived in NC for 2 decades, but for whatever reason, would love to see Cam succeed in New England and actually rooting for the Patriots for both parties success.

The ONE thing I've always admired about the Patriots is that they seemed to win, win continuously, and always seemed like they didn't break the bank to win by brining in "big name" hi priced stars (I could be wrong as I really never followed New England, and Randy Moss comes to mind, but forgot where he was at per his prime).

It's a knee Jerk reaction to want to keep a guy that looks so good in a short amount of time at "top dollar" for a long term commitment, but I don't think it would ever happen with the Patriots organization (could be wrong).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but although I really never liked Tom Brady (as noted, I never liked Michigan's QB's to start with so please don't take the comment personal), but didn't Tom Brady take pay cuts to keep the Patriots competivie over the years? Perhaps I read bad info on Brady's salary, but although I may not of liked Tom as football player, I grew a lot of respect for the man because he seemed to ensure that the team wasn't forgotten about. The reality is when you get even 5 million a year, unless you're really stupid with your money, you'll be rich money wise for the rest of your life. The added reality was Tom Brady was probably one of the highest paid Patriots (or am I wrong there), but it seemed like he never got greedy due to his success.

If Cam is successful this year and the Patriots make him a very rich man for his reward, but Cam gets greedy and feels like he isn't being paid what other top tier QB's are making per stupid money, show him the door and make sure it hit's his butt on the way out.

The added reality is this is only the 3rd week. Anyone with half a brain will wait to see how his body plays out by the end of year IMO.

I'll try.

1. Moss wasn't high priced when they brought him in. He was widely considered washed up and they got him via trade for a 4th round pick from the Raiders. They very seldom break the bank to bring in a star player from without the organization, but when they do it's usually on defense and with varied results (Adalius Thomas,, Roosevelt Colvin, Darrelle Revis, and Stephon Gilmore, to name some of the biggest ones off the top of my head).

2. Absolutely 100% agreed it's a kneejerk reaction to make any huge financial commitments that will affect your teambuilding for years to come based on what you've seen for 2 weeks. We have 20 years of evidence that the Kraft and BB duo is not as dumb as that, so no worries on this corner.

3. Brady was the highest paid QB in the league.... like maybe one year. To be honest his cap hits were all over the place from year to year, sometimes low (compared to the franchise QB market), sometimes high, or anywhere in between. Still, he could have demanded so much more (and gotten it), but didn't, and was always willing to restructure to create cap space (not exactly a pay cut, usually just moving cash around in the deal).

4. Whatever Cam wants is just speculation at this point. He's publicly said some things that bode well for the team, but that doesn't always carry to the negotiation table. At any rate, they're not even at the table at this point.

Cam said it isn't about the money. I guess I'm skeptical. He's on a 'prove it' deal, if he 'proves it' by having an 'elite QB' year he's going to be tempted to test the market looking for 'elite QB' money. I think it's something he should do: he could get the kind of money that would secure his future and that of his children and grandchildren the instant he signs the contract. All it takes is one team to get the hots for him and he's golden. I think teams will see what BB got out of him and presume they can do the same.

1 - Cam was already golden when he signed with the Panthers and made him a rich man money wise that he couldn't blow it all away if he tried (take that back LOL).

2 - How many children does Cam have and who were his wives? I ask because the reality is I think the actual number of kids he has is up in the air. I don't believe he was ever married though which could affect what he has to pay per child support.

3 - Depending on the legal writing for child support and laywers involved, perhaps Cam won't be the rich man money wise, but his former lovers laywers who hired them will be (see #2 above).

4 - He who is without sin cast the first stone, and although the above are my thoughts, I in no way think I'm a better man than Cam Newton as a person.

Considering Cam's dad is an apparent minster and the "issues" I've seen with Cam and his father perhaps in cohorts with each other, I will say that I will always be a skeptic at heart when it comes to men, be it Cam Newton or any other man.

If the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, Cam should be married IMO. Tells me enough about Cam's dad. That said, see #4 above.

As noted I WAS NOT a Cam Newton fan in the past, but perhaps this opportunity offers him redemption, THIS is why I am rooting for him Time will tell...

PS, I'm not a hard core "Christian" as I've always felt that actions speak louder than words.

Let’s wait a few games before we decide....

actually, our opinions don’t count anyway!!!! Funny how some act as if they do, isn’t it?

In the hoodie we trust!

Seriously?:D
No, it’s the truth. Do you believe we have any influence over which players we sign or extend?

Do you think Belichick cares what we think?

No, it’s the truth. Do you believe we have any influence over which players we sign or extend?

Do you think Belichick cares what we think?

Don't think anybody's debating that point bro

Seemed like JoeA was

Honestly, I was being sarcastic. I didn't see a "sarcastic" (or "roll eyes") emoji or whatever you call them to post at the end.

The bigger question is at how much money does each fan have to give before they get a choice in the decision making process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes