PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest fear is that Cam putters along, but the team (run game / defense) hang in to go 9-7 and people mistakenly credit Cam for turning things around and they sign him to a 3 year deal or something. that would be the biggest mistake for this team IMO. I just don't think BB or JMD want to be a RPO offense, especially when the "P" part of it is so suspect with Cam.

Wentz was an MVP candidate a couple years ago. Would have probably won it over Brady if he stayed healthy. I have a hard time believing his talent would just vanish overnight.

What has Stidham done in this league?

Dude, give it up. You obviously have not watched Wentz recently. Go to Football Outsiders and look at the DVOA page for the QBs listed by DYAR ratings - Wentz is dead last. It does not matter what Stidham has done - Wentz is horrible!!!

What about Wentz if the Eagles cut him loose? I can’t believe his abilities just vanished. Maybe Bill could coach back what he is missing right now?
His dead cap hits are a Huge albatross of which the Fecals will be very, Very hard-pressed to rid themselves...

But if that could be overcome, then I would certainly be willing to at least listen to what it would take to bring him here...His OL has failed him repeatedly all season long, and his HC & OC always abandon the run way too early, and that has left him dropping-back to pass 40+ times every game it seems...His confidence is gone, but not all of his abilities...

Wentz was an MVP candidate a couple years ago. Would have probably won it over Brady if he stayed healthy. I have a hard time believing his talent would just vanish overnight.

What has Stidham done in this league?
Cam was literally an MVP and he led his team to a 15-1 season and a SB. Wentz in his one year as a candidate got injured, had a back up take his team and win a SB with it, and he's had injury issues ever since. There was exactly one season between Cam's MVP year and Wentz' almost MVP year.

Wentz also got benched this week and a lot of people in the Eagles fanbases think he might be done on the team and don't want him anymore

His dead cap hits are a Huge albatross of which the Fecals will be very, Very hard-pressed to rid themselves...

But if that could be overcome, then I would certainly be willing to at least listen to what it would take to bring him here...His OL has failed him repeatedly all season long, and his HC & OC always abandon the run way too early, and that has left him dropping-back to pass 40+ times every game it seems...His confidence is gone, but not all of his abilities...
Can't agree. Wentz is a bust IMO. His numbers this year are horrendous. Once a QB regresses, he hardly ever recovers (Tannenhill recovered as an exception).

I would not mind working with Darnold, he looks like a QB that has confidence issues to me. I get the same impression from Stidham. Both guys look OK to me, but need confidence and experience.

Can't agree. Wentz is a bust IMO. His numbers this year are horrendous. Once a QB regresses, he hardly ever recovers (Tannenhill recovered as an exception).

I would not mind working with Darnold, he looks like a QB that has confidence issues to me. I get the same impression from Stidham. Both guys look OK to me, but need confidence and experience.
The thing is Tannehill wasn't even really bad. He had injury issues and maintained low 90 passer ratings in 2016 and 2018. His bulk volume numbers were down because he missed 3 and 5 games respectively those years. But he wasn't horrendous.

Wentz is legitimately having a huge nosedive statistically. His first sub 60 completion percention, more interceptions 11-12 games in than any individual season in his career, a low 70's passer rating when the last 3 years he was in the 90's and 100's (his rookie year was high 70's but again... rookie) and now you are hearing rumors that people on the team think he was psychologically effected by them drafting another QB, which it's never good to hear a team doubt their QB's mental makeup.

Wentz is a massive redflag and if his team thinks it's a mental weakness thing, I have no clue how he handles it hear. Bill Belichick isn't coddling anyone

It's coaching. I watched Plunkett leave NE a shattered waste of a 1st round pick. Good coaching and offensive talent made him into a Super Bowl winner. Steve Young was shellshocked and almost out of the league before getting the chance to back-up Montana in S.F. Wentz has all the physical tools, and he has experience winning. Watching his post game presser today I got the impression he has a little ADHD. If he DOES have the yips, I think he'd have to sit a couple of seasons in a secure back-up role to get his confidence back. Is THIS the place for him? I doubt it.

It's coaching. I watched Plunkett leave NE a shattered waste of a 1st round pick. Good coaching and offensive talent made him into a Super Bowl winner. Steve Young was shellshocked and almost out of the league before getting the chance to back-up Montana in S.F. Wentz has all the physical tools, and he has experience winning. Watching his post game presser today I got the impression he has a little ADHD. If he DOES have the yips, I think he'd have to sit a couple of seasons in a secure back-up role to get his confidence back. Is THIS the place for him? I doubt it.

Good points. I think the same applies to Stidham. I liked what Stidham did today and liked him coming into the game with no pressure, and he seemed more comfortable. If you love a great pass like me it is fun to watch Stidham. He is a natural thrower.

I wonder if the change from Brady to Newton is too drastic for this fan base to truly appreciate. Cam was a beast today. He is one tough bastard and it surprises the hell out of me. That was a fun game to watch. I just wish they kept smashing the ball up the middle more, although i understand why they didn't. It is just fun to me to be that type of team.

Wentz is legitimately having a huge nosedive statistically. His first sub 60 completion percention, more interceptions 11-12 games in than any individual season in his career, a low 70's passer rating when the last 3 years he was in the 90's and 100's (his rookie year was high 70's but again... rookie) and now you are hearing rumors that people on the team think he was psychologically effected by them drafting another QB, which it's never good to hear a team doubt their QB's mental makeup.
Rodgers was also very publicly upset that GB drafted Jordan Love - in the 1st round! - but seems to be doing OK, but he also has superior coaching, protection & weapons than Wentz does now...Wentz might indeed be on an irreversible downward slide, but this slide shouldn't be analyzed in a complete vacuum...Dude has Zero support...

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
I'd take Darnold 10 times out of 10 over Stidham as a QB.

The Wentz thing is bizarre to me. I can't believe a QB's talent would vanish overnight. Maybe a change of scenery would be good for him.

Rodgers was also very publicly upset that GB drafted Jordan Love - in the 1st round! - but seems to be doing OK, but he also has superior coaching, protection & weapons than Wentz does now...Wentz might indeed be on an irreversible downward slide, but this slide shouldn't be analyzed in a complete vacuum...Dude has Zero support...
Rodgers decided to make the Packers double check moving on from him :whistle:

I'd take Darnold 10 times out of 10 over Stidham as a QB.

The Wentz thing is bizarre to me. I can't believe a QB's talent would vanish overnight. Maybe a change of scenery would be good for him.
I think the Eagles take a $60 million dollar cap hit if they cut him. Unless they decide to see what they have with Hurts and run with a skeleton crew around him I don't know how they could manage that.

Good points. I think the same applies to Stidham. I liked what Stidham did today and liked him coming into the game with no pressure, and he seemed more comfortable. If you love a great pass like me it is fun to watch Stidham. He is a natural thrower.
The Stiddy Shimmy Sham to N'Keal to get the DB/S Adderley to bite to free up GOshow for the TD was a little telling for me. Having him learn from 2 different but great leaders in Cam/TB will only be helpful for his development. I'm too old to be talking like this. WTF am I doing?

I know this sounds really crazy, but I can see Cam talking a Wakefield discount (a la new Hoyer or Brissett's role in Indy) and even play 2nd fiddle to Stidham and/or a QB we probably will be drafting next year. No one's gonna pay this guy, and Cam knows BB is probably the best place to get a ring - ask Bledsoe. Hell, if you want even crazier, he might be looking at Edelman and Meyers and think - maybe I can play the once in a blue moon TE. You know that Harris pass is coming out of wildcat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back