PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you watch Stidham and JimmyG in pre-season games? Stidham was better in pre-season and that was a lot more playing time. You forgot to mention that ;) . When you only mention the comparisons that support your argument and forget the comparisons that do not support your argument, it looks like trolling. :whistle:

I have no idea if Stidham is an NFL QB or not. Neither does anyone else on PatsFans. Conjecture is Ok as long as we are measured and fair in our evaluations. You wrote, "from what I saw in KC (13 pass attempts) it appears to be a very good reason" - I do not think observing 13 pass attempts is a basis for negative or positive analysis. I do not think you knew JimmyG was the real thing after 10 pass attempts either, even though you have very positive vibes from those 10 or so passes.
Cassel looked horrible in preseason and he turned into a more than serviceable QB for us in 2008 when he got the call. Tebow had a pretty good game in preseason too for us. Preseason is not really a defining benchmark for a QB imo.

Yes small sample size but Jimmy looked like he had "it". Stidham looked like the 4th round draft pick QB that he is. Like I said, Bill seems to agree that he isn't good enough otherwise he would have started over a QB with 4 passing TD and 9 INTs in 10 games already. Miami is trying to start Tua over Fitz who is playing much better than Cam - and that's because Tua is a viable NFL QB prospect. Stid isn't.

I assume by “we” you mean the team. The opinion of us fans on this board aren’t really relevant to the direction of the team.

Once the Patriots have a viable alternative to Cam which they do not have on the roster right now, I’m sure they will move on.
We hear what you're saying.

My "We" is not the team and I. It is the Royal We, for I am a prince among men.

We thank thee.

Just goes to show that a Harvard education doesn't mean you can't occasionally make horrifyingly stupid decisions (Fitzpatrick).
I already learned that from watching politicians.

I already learned that from watching politicians.
Cassel looked horrible in preseason and he turned into a more than serviceable QB for us in 2008 when he got the call. Tebow had a pretty good game in preseason too for us. Preseason is not really a defining benchmark for a QB imo.

Yes small sample size but Jimmy looked like he had "it". Stidham looked like the 4th round draft pick QB that he is. Like I said, Bill seems to agree that he isn't good enough otherwise he would have started over a QB with 4 passing TD and 9 INTs in 10 games already. Miami is trying to start Tua over Fitz who is playing much better than Cam - and that's because Tua is a viable NFL QB prospect. Stid isn't.
"Stid isn't."

Not enough evidence that this is so, but there is abundant evidence that Cam "isn't" or is no longer. I suspect starting Stidham might well demonstrate that you are right, but jumping on flimsy, wayward bandwagons is not my thing. So I want to see the proof.

As for Fitz, we know what he is: vastly better than Cam (for a few games at least, until hubris fits (get it?) in and he starts attempting the impossible, possibly better than Stid. And for those who are charmed by Cam's fashion sense and would miss it, Fitz has a real pretty beard.

"Stid isn't."

Not enough evidence that this is so, but there is abundant evidence that Cam "isn't" or is no longer. I suspect starting Stidham might well demonstrate that you are right, but jumping on flimsy, wayward bandwagons is not my thing. So I want to see the proof.

As for Fitz, we know what he is: vastly better than Cam (for a few games at least, until hubris fits (get it?) in and he starts attempting the impossible, possibly better than Stid. And for those who are charmed by Cam's fashion sense and would miss it, Fitz has a real pretty beard.
I don’t need to eat a **** sandwich to know it doesn’t taste very good. I already know it doesn’t and there is plenty of evidence already that I’m right so I have no desire to have one to prove it. It’s the same in this case.

Stid is a 4th round draft pick QB. Those tend to not be starter worthy anyway. He sucked when we’ve seen him. And arguably the greatest coach in NFL history is keeping him on the bench compared to a guy with 4 passing TD and 9 int on the season. Nuff said. Therefore the evidence like with the crap sandwich suggests what we suspect is true actually is. You really don’t think Bill would pull the trigger and start say Tua over Cam if he had Tua? Of course he would.

So what is the point of playing him over Cam? He isn’t the future QB of this team and the team is not losing games on purpose so why bother? Bill doesn’t owe the fans a Stid showcase. Amd there’s much more upside in playing Cam and figuring out if he’s worth bringing back as the bridge next year. That logic makes sense. Playing a guy like Stid doesn’t.

Last edited:
I don’t need to eat a **** sandwich to know it doesn’t taste very good. I already know it doesn’t and there is plenty of evidence already that I’m right so I have no desire to have one to prove it. It’s the same in this case.

Stid is a 4th round draft pick QB. Those tend to not be starter worthy anyway. He sucked when we’ve seen him. And arguably the greatest coach in NFL history is keeping him on the bench compared to a guy with 4 passing TD and 9 int on the season. Nuff said. Therefore the evidence like with the crap sandwich suggests what we suspect is true actually is. You really don’t think Bill would pull the trigger and start say Tua over Cam if he had Tua? Of course he would.

So what is the point of playing him over Cam? He isn’t the future QB of this team and the team is not losing games on purpose so why bother? Bill doesn’t owe the fans a Stid showcase. Amd there’s much more upside in playing Cam and figuring out if he’s worth bringing back as the bridge next year. That logic makes sense. Playing a guy like Stid doesn’t.
Well, we disagree. Fair enough.

Reactions: sb1
Every team has holes. The Pats have a good Defense and OL, with a good mix of youth and veterans in both areas. That’s how great teams are built. Add a functional QB to this team, with this coaching staff and there’s no doubt they’d be in the Championship mix.
I take it back. We have a great defense and a great OL. Oh and the RB is pretty OK.

35 points on 50 passing yards, are you kidding me? Get a half decent QB and this team is right back in the mix...

I take it back. We have a great defense and a great OL. Oh and the RB is pretty OK.

35 points on 50 passing yards, are you kidding me? Get a half decent QB and this team is right back in the mix...
There’s nobody on the roster or available in the league right now who fits that description.

There’s nobody on the roster or available in the league right now who fits that description.
I’m talking about next year. As good as the coaching/D/ running game is, this team is going nowhere without a QB. But this is far from a lost season. As long as BB is in it for the long haul, the foundation is being built for the next great Patriot team. I’d include Owenue, Harris, Phillips, Duggar, Winovich & Jackson in the top of that group.

We just need a Jimmy G, Matt Ryan or Matt Stafford to break free & it’s on. I even think Daniel Jones could work in this offense. With the cap situation across the league next year, it’s certainly possible.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Let's wait until we lose at Rams or Dolphins because of same terrible pass offense. Today, when all the bounces go our way, and big D/ST plays put up huge points, and run game established early, it all seems great. But Cam can't operate the necessary pass offense to be a playoff team.
I'm not saying Stid would be perfect, or even good, but he looks so much more comfortable going through reads and physically throwing the ball. It's just obvious.

Let's wait until we lose at Rams or Dolphins because of same terrible pass offense. Today, when all the bounces go our way, and big D/ST plays put up huge points, and run game established early, it all seems great. But Cam can't operate the necessary pass offense to be a playoff team.
I'm not saying Stid would be perfect, or even good, but he looks so much more comfortable going through reads and physically throwing the ball. It's just obvious.
This was the first game Stidham didn’t have an INT and he only played for one drive. Let’s cool the jets here

Kinda wish you WERE saying Stidham is perfect. Would spice things up a bit and such.

Stid is not an NFL starting QB.

I’m talking about next year. As good as the coaching/D/ running game is, this team is going nowhere without a QB. But this is far from a lost season. As long as BB is in it for the long haul, the foundation is being built for the next great Patriot team. I’d include Owenue, Harris, Phillips, Duggar, Winovich & Jackson in the top of that group.

We just need a Jimmy G, Matt Ryan or Matt Stafford to break free & it’s on. I even think Daniel Jones could work in this offense. With the cap situation across the league next year, it’s certainly possible.
What about Wentz if the Eagles cut him loose? I can’t believe his abilities just vanished. Maybe Bill could coach back what he is missing right now?

What about Wentz if the Eagles cut him loose? I can’t believe his abilities just vanished. Maybe Bill could coach back what he is missing right now?
No-one takes your opinion of Stidham seriously if you would rather have Wentz.

No-one takes your opinion of Stidham seriously if you would rather have Wentz.
Wentz was an MVP candidate a couple years ago. Would have probably won it over Brady if he stayed healthy. I have a hard time believing his talent would just vanish overnight.

What has Stidham done in this league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand