PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how they run the ball even when the box is stacked, they run the ball when they probably shouldn't and they run it well
Well they didn’t ran really well against a stacked box (Houston and Arizona). As a team they ran for 3.6 y/c against the Texans and 3.66 y/c against Arizona.

Well they didn’t ran really well against a stacked box (Houston and Arizona). As a team they ran for 3.6 y/c against the Texans and 3.66 y/c against Arizona.
True. But that is one of the reasons I like this team. they keep pounding it in there. Also, 3.6 ypc seems "not bad" into a stacked box. I'm really enjoying it. Sh*t I'm just glad there are Patriots games to watch this year, with the pandemic and all.

I completely understand that. I'm certainly rooting for the team to improve, and I see hopeful elements here and there on this team, but I don't care that much whether they win this year. I'd rather they focus on discovering who will have a role going forward, which you really can't do without giving the prospects, vets or rooks, a chance to play. That this might lessen chances of a win doesn't matter. They are not getting into the playoffs. We Pats' fans have forgotten thatit is HARD to make the playoffs. Teams as weak as this one don't get there. Besides, there is at least a marginal or theoretical advantage to losing: lose a few and you do creep up the draft, which might not be much but it ain't nothing.

On the Cam question, he's shot. To me that is just blatantly obvious. 11 games, 4 td passes, 7 int's, abysmal qbr, has "led" the league's 29th-best passing offense, multiple late-game screwups. He has no role going forward, nor should he. He needs to sit on the bench, or at home. I couldn't care less which.
And yet he's still the best QB on the roster and not by a little bit either. He's the only guy who has a decent shot to be on the roster next year so barring injury he's the only guy that should get snaps.

And this team is not tanking just stop with that noise.

Sincerely curious if you had him ranked above Brissette.
Oh yes; and not just above Brissett but also above Cody Kessler, Connor Cook & the legendary Christian Hackenburg, all of whom were taken before him...Dak had been stopped for suspicion of DUI, during the pre-draft process I believe, and later sent letters to all 32 teams explaining his situation (similar to what the Late Prisoner did before the 2010 draft)...Didn't seem to help much unfortunately; otherwise maybe the Jesters take him at #51 instead of Hack...

EDIT: And it's not like I was this great savant or anything regarding Dak's future either; in the draft forum & the scouting press that year, he was generally regarded as likely the best prospect among that next group of himself, Brissett, Cook, Hack & Kessler...Goff & Wentz were 1/2, with Paxton Lynch well below them but still ahead of those others...

Last edited:
And yet he's still the best QB on the roster and not by a little bit either. He's the only guy who has a decent shot to be on the roster next year so barring injury he's the only guy that should get snaps.

And this team is not tanking just stop with that noise.

Best option for now. If cam comes back it will be under the pats terms when it comes to salary. Idk if i want him back even if we get weapons. We need a good pocket passer.

Cam can not be relied on to consistently serve as even an average NFL QB. Ultimately the responsibility for this lies at the feet of BB and McDaniels. Yes Cam is bad, but I do feel for him. He is 100% trying to be successful. there should be NO personal animosity toward Cam.
BB used to say that he tries to put his players in a position to succeed. BB and McDaniels have clearly failed at this with Cam, based on lack of finding skilled positions at TE and WR. Angry and Frustrated feelings should be directed at BB and McDaniels. They have not done their job well this year with either roster building or succession planning.

At this point, Pats are not getting a top 10 pick AND Cam is giving it his all and basically getting paid chump change to do so.
Therefore for the rest of this year, I hope pats fans will completely root hard for him and the team to be successful and gain confidence heading into next year.

We gave up on this season when we let Brady go. And we've been fixing our cap space. Rest is just details. Not sure why you're so worked up. We spent $1m on our starting QB and you're complaining he sucks. You get what you pay for.

We gave up on this season when we let Brady go. And we've been fixing our cap space. Rest is just details. Not sure why you're so worked up. We spent $1m on our starting QB and you're complaining he sucks. You get what you pay for.
Not worked up. I was just saying do not blame Cam Newton for what has happened this year. The crappy season is all on BB and McDaniels. Either they are light tanking or they just completely ignored the talent level at skill positions.

Newton is currently 27th in QB rating and 23rd is passing yards. Somehow he is also 35th in the NFL in TD passes (4) which means a bunch of back up QBS and random players have more passing TDs. He did make a top 10 list though. He is currently 8th in most interceptions.

They must not be very high on Stidham if Newton is the guy beating him out. Honestly I think I would rather have any current staring QB than Newton.

Newton is currently 27th in QB rating and 23rd is passing yards. Somehow he is also 35th in the NFL in TD passes (4) which means a bunch of back up QBS and random players have more passing TDs. He did make a top 10 list though. He is currently 8th in most interceptions.

They must not be very high on Stidham if Newton is the guy beating him out. Honestly I think I would rather have any current staring QB than Newton.
Stidham is not an NFL starting QB. There's a reason why he hasn't replaced Newton and from what I saw in KC it appears to be a very good reason.

That is not exactly a vote of confidence about Stidham.

He’ll be cut this offseason, doubt we’ll ever see him again in the NFL.
I'd only mention that the Pats coaching staff has continually favored Harry over Meyers and only lately played Harris over Michel, to the consternation of many on this website. I know, I know, Stidham sucked in two trailing late game insertions which you take to be a fair test of his ability.

I'd only mention that the Pats coaching staff has continually favored Harry over Meyers and only lately played Harris over Michel, to the consternation of many on this website. I know, I know, Stidham sucked in two trailing late game insertions which you take to be a fair test of his ability.
Jimmy was a late game insertion in the KC blowout in 2014 and he still looked like he belonged out there as a viable future NFL QB. Stid hasn’t.

If he’s not good enough to replace a guy with 4 TD and 9 INT for the season playing for peanuts, then he’s not good enough to be in the league.

Last edited:
If you write off the two games post-COVID for Cam (not that you necessarily should, I’m just saying) the rest of his work this season has been solid-to-good. Flashes of possibility here and there. His footwork seems like it needs a little cleaning up still, but with some upgrading to the TE and WR departments and if the defense can improve against the run and in the middle (last week was encouraging) they have a chance to be pretty good with Cam. I think they should wait to see what unfolds by the end of the season and in the draft/free agency, but if we end up with Cam for the next couple years I would be good with it.

Yeah agree. Newton's been passing around 70% outside of his covid fog.

I love Brady but the cap this year was wrecked and it was a rebuild year no matter what.

Stidham is not an NFL starting QB. There's a reason why he hasn't replaced Newton and from what I saw in KC it appears to be a very good reason.
In the KC game Stidham threw 13 passes. After 13 passes it appeared to you that there is a very good reason to bench Stidham. I have no idea if the guy is great or sucks, but to state you saw him throw 13 passes and now you have "very good reason" is absurd. Please stop trolling.

It is OK to say Stidham is not beating out Newton so the evaluation on Stidham must not be overly positive, but to pass judgement on 13 passes in KC, or 27 passes overall, is ludicrous. I am sure BB and J McD and Jedd Fisch have a strong opinion after seeing him over the whole year, but we really do not have any idea for sure.

That is not exactly a vote of confidence about Stidham.

He’ll be cut this offseason, doubt we’ll ever see him again in the NFL.
I believe that Hoyer will be cut before Stidham, who will still have two more years on a cheap rookie contract after this season.

In the KC game Stidham threw 13 passes. After 13 passes it appeared to you that there is a very good reason to bench Stidham. I have no idea if the guy is great or sucks, but to state you saw him throw 13 passes and now you have "very good reason" is absurd. Please stop trolling.

It is OK to say Stidham is not beating out Newton so the evaluation on Stidham must not be overly positive, but to pass judgement on 13 passes in KC, or 27 passes overall, is ludicrous. I am sure BB and J McD and Jedd Fisch have a strong opinion after seeing him over the whole year, but we really do not have any idea for sure.

He was bad against the Jets, but Brady was nothing special in his debut either so I wrote that off. Got beat out in camp by Cam who hasn’t played in a year. Then he fell on his face in KC when the opportunity was there to take Cam’s job. And not just that he looked like a guy who didn’t belong on an NFL field.

I’m comparing him to JG. Only took Jimmy throwing 10 passes or whatever it was in KC to tell me the guy might be a keeper. I saw nothing like that from Stid. But that’s not what tells me he isn’t an NFL QB. What tells me he likely has no future in the NFL is he can’t beat out a very sub par passing QB in Bill’s opinion.

Not trolling. I was one of Stid’s biggest cheerleaders on this board. Not so much anymore.

Yeah agree. Newton's been passing around 70% outside of his covid fog.

I love Brady but the cap this year was wrecked and it was a rebuild year no matter what.

Sometimes he really makes me mad with the mistakes but I am just spoiled by nearly 20 years of Brady... If you take away some of the fumbles and some of the INTs he has actually played fairly well overall, all things considered. I feel like he’s had multiple impressive drives that we forget about because they end in him committing a turnover. The drive for a near win (or at least tie) against Buffalo being one such drive.

They are only behind KC in avg yards per drive at like 40 (!!!), that’s really a feat. The yardage is there but not the points, mostly due to mistakes. If that gets cleaned up, weapons improve, and the schedule softens a bit... I think he can have a couple good years.

He was bad against the Jets, but Brady was nothing special in his debut either so I wrote that off. Got beat out in camp by Cam who hasn’t played in a year. Then he fell on his face in KC when the opportunity was there to take Cam’s job. And not just that he looked like a guy who didn’t belong on an NFL field.

I’m comparing him to JG. Only took Jimmy throwing 10 passes or whatever it was in KC to tell me the guy might be a keeper. I saw nothing like that from Stid. But that’s not what tells me he isn’t an NFL QB. What tells me he likely has no future in the NFL is he can’t beat out a very sub par passing QB in Bill’s opinion.

Not trolling. I was one of Stid’s biggest cheerleaders on this board. Not so much anymore.

Did you watch Stidham and JimmyG in pre-season games? Stidham was better in pre-season and that was a lot more playing time. You forgot to mention that ;) . When you only mention the comparisons that support your argument and forget the comparisons that do not support your argument, it looks like trolling. :whistle:

I have no idea if Stidham is an NFL QB or not. Neither does anyone else on PatsFans. Conjecture is Ok as long as we are measured and fair in our evaluations. You wrote, "from what I saw in KC (13 pass attempts) it appears to be a very good reason" - I do not think observing 13 pass attempts is a basis for negative or positive analysis. I do not think you knew JimmyG was the real thing after 10 pass attempts either, even though you have very positive vibes from those 10 or so passes.

Best option for now. If cam comes back it will be under the pats terms when it comes to salary. Idk if i want him back even if we get weapons. We need a good pocket passer.
So simple yet so elusive for the so-called 'expert' posters on this board.

Get ready for for years of the mediocrity we laughed at for other teams if we don't do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back