PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Exploring First And Second Round Scenarios

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
just thinking through what might happen in the first two rounds of the draft for us (not in order)

At 32

• Trade up with the Seahawks for Hockenson and maybe Fant (would you trade up for Fant?). Fills probably the biggest need on the team and the Seahawks sound very keen to trade down.
  • Stay put at 32 and draft DT (Tillery,Simmons,Lawrence), WR (Brown,Harry) or OL (Risner, McGary)
  • Trade back from 32. See WRs above, Irv Smith, Safety, OL (McGary, Lindstrom)
At 56/64
  • A safety from that early group that falls (Rapp, Abrams, Gardner-Johnson etc)
  • TE (Irv Smith, Dawson Knox, Sternberger)
  • The best of the rest WRs (McLaurin, Deebo etc)
  • Pass rusher (Allen, Omenihu, Ferguson...Polite?)
I think that’s my best guess at the potential scenarios. Does anyone have any others?

Here is how I see each pick as of right now.

Pick #32

Trade up: Jeffrey Simmons. If I trade up for a player I want a corner stone caliber player. I think there are only 8-9 such players in this draft. Of those guys the only one who will be within range or there at 32 is Simmons. Do I pull the trigger? Likely not, but he'd be the only guy I wouldn't be upset about wasting resources on to move up for.

Make the pick: AJ Brown, Marquise Brown, Jeffrey Simmons, T.J. Hockenson. Right now these are the only players I care to pick at 32 if most GMs see the board the way I think they do if it falls the way I think it will. Likely TJ is long gone but I think he'll fall way past pick #12. I suspect I'll add at least 1 or 2 more players to this list before draft night but as of now these are the options I'd like the Pats to choose from.

Trade down or out.

Picks #54, #64 and #73 - This to me is wide open but the names I keep coming back to are Sternberger and Warring at TE. I just think they'd be too good to pass up here and you need to grab at least one if not both. A Safety starts to become good value at this point. There will be a lot of WRs and DL here that should be good value and maybe even some CBs. I'd stay clear of LBs this year I think. I have no clue about RB or OL but I wouldn't want to take a guard this high most likely and I don't want to use back to back high picks are RBs. Maybe QB is an option too?

Last edited:
I agree. I think my least favourite scenario is to stand pat. I'd prefer to either trade up 8-10 spots for a falling blue chipper (Hockenson, Dillard, Wilkins) or trade down 8-10 spots and pick up Abram, one of the O-linemen or one of the receivers and then trade up from 56 or 64.

Not out of the realms of possibility that you could trade down from 32 to 39 and end up picking up Abram (39), Irv Smith (50 - trade up), Samuel (56), Scharping (73) and Joe Jackson (97) with your first 5 picks (or something similar).

The only TE I'd be willing to trade up in the first for is Hockenson. He seems like the most well rounded TE in the draft.

I wouldn't lose sleep on missing out on any other TE in the draft and I don't see the need to reach.

From the limited video I've seen Warring sucks. Sternberger would be a decent upgrade over Holister as a receiving TE.

The only TE I'd be willing to trade up in the first for is Hockenson. He seems like the most well rounded TE in the draft.

I wouldn't lose sleep on missing out on any other TE in the draft and I don't see the need to reach.

From the limited video I've seen Warring sucks. Sternberger would be a decent upgrade over Holister as a receiving TE.

Sucks? He has some problems with drops, but sucks is a bit harsh.

I’d imagine one of the second rounds is getting traded for a later pick this year and one next.

I could easily see 32 being traded going up, down, or even next year..... if the real strength of this draft is depth, if a team offers a pick this year and their first next, that would really entice the Pats.

I’d imagine one of the second rounds is getting traded for a later pick this year and one next.

I could easily see 32 being traded going up, down, or even next year..... if the real strength of this draft is depth, if a team offers a pick this year and their first next, that would really entice the Pats.

If so, let's hope they trade with a team more likely to stink up the joint.

Warring is just perfecting his game I wouldn't be mad if we went Knox and Warring in the mid rounds avoiding the trade up for Hockenson.
I'd rather take d line or blue Chip receiver in the first or trade into next season.

The Patriots will exit day two having drafted only two players. The other picks
they will trade for a player or trade into 2020.

Unlikely.

Round 2? Sure, I believe that. Day 2? That would be shocking.

With 6 picks in the top 101 of this draft, most of which are at the tail ends of their perspective rounds, I'm also hoping they move at least one of these picks for a round up improvement next year. They'd still have the ammo to move up in other rounds if need be.

Those whose names I would have little problem calling at 32:

DE - Josh Allen, Bosa, Burns, Ferrell, Gary & Sweat
DT - Lawrence, Ed Oliver, Simmons, Tillery, Wilkins & Quinn Williams
LT - Andre Dillard & Jonah Williams
TE - Hockenson & Fant
WR - AJ Brown, N'Keal Harry & Deebo Samuel

I have No interest Whatsoever in drafting at 32 Anyone from Any other position...Period.

The bad news: almost everyone on the list will be gone by 32, except for probably one+ of the DTs and one+ of the WRs. If Bill chooses someone other than one of the 19 above, then he either reached for inferior talent or chose a different - and less urgent - position of need...neither of which will make me happy.

At 56/64/73:

DE - Zach Allen, LJ Collier, Ferguson, Joe Jackson, Nelson & Omenihu
DT - Khalen Saunders
OL - Bobby Evans, Ty Howard, Elgton Jenkins, Mike Jordan, Lindstrom & Greg Little
TE - Knox, Irv Smith, Sternberger & probably Warring
WR - the previous 3 plus Arcega, Butler, Campbell & McLaurin
Safety (if Bill uses Duke Dawson at CB) - Abram, Gardner, Hooker, Rapp & Thornhill
CB (if Bill uses Dawson at Safety) - Lonnie Johnson, Justin Layne, David Long, Julian Love, Tre Mullen, JJ Williams & Rock Ya Sin

That's 33 possibilities starting at 56. There will be some, if not many, names unavailable when it's our turn to pick, but that's still no feckin excuse whatsoever for Bill to be unable to find 3 names among those remaining worthy enough for him.

Those whose names I would have little problem calling at 32:

DE - Josh Allen, Bosa, Burns, Ferrell, Gary & Sweat
DT - Lawrence, Ed Oliver, Simmons, Tillery, Wilkins & Quinn Williams
LT - Andre Dillard & Jonah Williams
TE - Hockenson & Fant
WR - AJ Brown, N'Keal Harry & Deebo Samuel

I have No interest Whatsoever in drafting at 32 Anyone from Any other position...Period.

The bad news: almost everyone on the list will be gone by 32, except for probably one+ of the DTs and one+ of the WRs. If Bill chooses someone other than one of the 19 above, then he either reached for inferior talent or chose a different - and less urgent - position of need...neither of which will make me happy.

At 56/64/73:

DE - Zach Allen, LJ Collier, Ferguson, Joe Jackson, Nelson & Omenihu
DT - Khalen Saunders
OL - Bobby Evans, Ty Howard, Elgton Jenkins, Mike Jordan, Lindstrom & Greg Little
TE - Knox, Irv Smith, Sternberger & probably Warring
WR - the previous 3 plus Arcega, Butler, Campbell & McLaurin
Safety (if Bill uses Duke Dawson at CB) - Abram, Gardner, Hooker, Rapp & Thornhill
CB (if Bill uses Dawson at Safety) - Lonnie Johnson, Justin Layne, David Long, Julian Love, Tre Mullen, JJ Williams & Rock Ya Sin

That's 33 possibilities starting at 56. There will be some, if not many, names unavailable when it's our turn to pick, but that's still no feckin excuse whatsoever for Bill to be unable to find 3 names among those remaining worthy enough for him.

Brace for disappointment. :)

Brace for disappointment. :)
Oh I'll be bracing all right...it still hurts - and justifiably so - nonetheless, when the actual picks are announced.

How many picks does bb actually make in this draft? Some writers think we do not have roster room for 12 picks plus udfa’s.

I think bb is looking for 3-6 solid contributors in this draft and hopefully a couple of those can start.

How many picks does bb actually make in this draft? Some writers think we do not have roster room for 12 picks plus udfa’s.

I think bb is looking for 3-6 solid contributors in this draft and hopefully a couple of those can start.

Let’s think about the positions:

TE - Can’t believe they go into the season with what they have. So either a trade or draft pick seems likely.

WR - It’s not just this season that’s the problem, they have nothing on the roster after this year. Need two draftees I believe.

OL - Need a backup OT and there’s Thuney’s possible replacement to think about. Could get away with just one addition though.

DL - This is where BB might compromise. It might not be ideal but we could go into the season with the DEs as they are. Bennett, Wise, Rivers, Davis and Simon might not be ideal but it is a roster worth. And the more I think about it, BB could find a DT from amongst those cut after the draft or via trade post draft. I’d still mock both but if BB is going to compromise anywhere, I think this is it.

DB - Personally I think we’re fine at CB but a late day 3 addition is possible. Safety is a position I can’t make my mind up on. Hard to find a roster spot for this year but clear need beyond.

LB - I don’t think there’s a big need here.

So for me, WR x 2, TE and OL are definites. DE, DT, safety and another OL are possibles.

Sucks? He has some problems with drops, but sucks is a bit harsh.

My "sucks" assessment was based on watching a full game video. He didn't do anything special. In fact, No. 82 TE Parker Houston looked like the better prospect. After watching more aggregated highlights it looks like Warring is a decent prospect.

There's plenty of room for upgrades.

But no, I don't expect all the 6th and 7th rounders to make the 53, in addition to the 1-3 UDFA's.

I expect 6 on the 53 from the first 4 rounds, with one to IR. I expect 2 on the 53 from rounds 5 and later, including UDFA's. So, for me, that's 8 rookies. I also think that we'll sign or trade for 4-7 more, so I DO THINK that there is room for 12 upgrades plus a kicker.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back