PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Emmanuel Sanders won’t take a paycut in Denver, looks like he’ll be released

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't really true.

True, haven’t seen too many positional players like Wr or Rb come back strong from this type of injury. D’onte Foreman couldn’t even get on the field the following year.

Seems like a 2 year recovery or maybe a career ender? Any examples of players coming back to their old form after this type of injury?

Tate and Tyrell Williams are the only top free agent WRs worth signing IMO, the rest are either too old/coming off injuries (Sanders/Thomas), or JAGs (current Chris Hogan).

I think what will happen is that we re-sign Dorsett (for depth), sign an average player (a name I've seen a lot on this board is Chris Conley), and draft a WR. So that gives us Edelman/Conley/rookie/Dorsett, with Gordon suspended. This still leaves us with another WR needed. Like I said, I prefer Tate or trade for AJ Green.

Whether or not I buy it, I can see the logic about Sanders. Amendola is a much bigger stretch, but at least there's the familiarity angle. But you're also effectively saying that you'd prefer Beasley over Thomas. Based upon what?
Always been about Thomas’ lack of toughness. Seems like he’s easily roughed up and shut down.

Beasley has great hands, great route runner, fits the slot receiver role well.

True, haven’t seen too many positional players like Wr or Rb come back strong from this type of injury. D’onte Foreman couldn’t even get on the field the following year.

Seems like a 2 year recovery or maybe a career ender? Any examples of players coming back to their old form after this type of injury?

Younger guys. Demaryius Thomas tore his in 2011 and had a great career, likely over now because of another tear on the wrong side of 30. Mike Crabtree tore it as a younger guy and was arguably better after. Jonathan Stewart and Derrick Johnson were fine, though Johnson's second tear when he was a couple years older was a nail in the coffin.

Wilfork played well after an Achilles as an older guy, though not as well as he did prior. Terrell Suggs came back from it twice. On the other hand, it pretty much ended Navorro Bowman's career.

But it's still much more of a big deal than an ACL, and all of the players I'm citing here were 1st round picks and top-level players, so teams were both more inclined to give them time to come back into form and they had a higher base of performance from which they started. I'd trust Isaiah Wynn to come back far more than I would Sanders. There really is a palpable age difference, and it does seem to be an injury that recurs (unlike ACLs).

everytime I see "tate" I think of Mike Tyson's famous quote.."how's my **** tate?"...I know, I have problems...

I too think about how your **** tates every time I see the name

He’s soft with bad hands. When he was younger and paired with Manning he wasn’t bad but since he left he’s been average to bad.

It's fascinating to watch people here posting about players from other teams. They look for excuses to denigrate them even when neutral analysis is obviously what should be given. Prior to last season (split teams, injury), Thomas had gone 6 straight seasons of 80+ receptions, with 5 of those seasons being 90+ catch seasons. Yet, somehow, that only rates a "wasn't bad".

How come puttsburgh can draft a fire hydrant and the fire hydrant becomes a 1,000 yards per season receiver.

And we draft guys who should be 1,000 yard per season receivers but turn out to be fire hydrants!!!! (Johnson, Jackson, etc etc etc)

Sanders made Keenam look good on several series last season. Sign him. Perfect Pats type pick up.

How come puttsburgh can draft a fire hydrant and the fire hydrant becomes a 1,000 yards per season receiver.

And we draft guys who should be 1,000 yard per season receivers but turn out to be fire hydrants!!!! (Johnson, Jackson, etc etc etc)

The Steelers have had their misses, and they've spent a fair bit of draft capital on the position. But it's paid off with a good amount of NFL level players and some big time talent hits.

Year/Round/Name
2018 2 James Washington
2017 2 JuJu Smith-Schuster
2016 7 DeMarcus Ayers
2015 3 Sammie Coates
2014 4 Martavis Bryant
2013 3 Markus Wheaton
2013 6 Justin Brown
2012 7 Toney Clemons
2010 3 Emmanuel Sanders
2010 6 Antonio Brown
2009 3 Mike Wallace
2008 2 Limas Sweed
2007 7 Dallas Baker
2006 1 Santonio Holmes
2006 3 Willie Reid
2005 4 Fred Gibson
2002 2 Antwaan Randle El
2002 6 Lee Mays
2001 7 Chris Taylor
2000 1 Plaxico Burress
2000 4 Danny Farmer

DraftHistory.com

Tate and Tyrell Williams are the only top free agent WRs worth signing IMO, the rest are either too old/coming off injuries (Sanders/Thomas), or JAGs (current Chris Hogan).

I think what will happen is that we re-sign Dorsett (for depth), sign an average player (a name I've seen a lot on this board is Chris Conley), and draft a WR. So that gives us Edelman/Conley/rookie/Dorsett, with Gordon suspended. This still leaves us with another WR needed. Like I said, I prefer Tate or trade for AJ Green.

I think that is rather likely. Mid-level FA for about 5-8 APY, 2nd or 3rd round rookie, Edelman and Dorsett.

Maybe CP comes back as well or Gordon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye