PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Emmanuel Sanders won’t take a paycut in Denver, looks like he’ll be released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that we might lose Flowers and Brown -- who both would give us 3rd round comp picks -- I'd suggest people start looking at potential trade partners instead of players going into FA.

We have a lot picks for this year so could easily absorb giving away 1-2 for trades.

Given that we might lose Flowers and Brown -- who both would give us 3rd round comp picks -- I'd suggest people start looking at potential trade partners instead of players going into FA.

We have a lot picks for this year so could easily absorb giving away 1-2 for trades.

I agree plus 1-2 picks from next year given that we would receive additional picks for leaving FAs. I could see trades for OT, DE and WR.

Refusing to take a paycut, 32, has a SB ring. If he is cut he's going to the highest bidder

As I speculated a few weeks ago, doesn’t sound like there’s a middle ground to be found for him in Denver. Sign the beast but don’t count on him coming of an achilles injury, consider him a bonus. He’s perfect for us if he can recover in time to contribute

Steelers could take him back with AB off the deep end.

Thats my prediction. We'll be getting a WR in trade.

Might get Humphries but because there is a such a dearth of quality WRs in FA he might be outside the Pats comfort zone.

Thats my prediction. We'll be getting a WR in trade.

I already gave my "swing big" kinda prediction for a WR trade: AJ Green. It makes a lot of sense unless we want to go cheap for someone "misused" still on a rookie deal.

Hopefully the plan isn't to go into next season with a WR core of: Edelman, draft pick, and Berrios. That won't cut it. Patriots absolutely need to sign one of Tate, Sanders, or Thomas.

And yes I realize they've won SB's with lesser receivers before. But that shouldn't mean status quo. Always need to be improving.
Pats objective is always maintained, long term success. They are never "all in" for one season. That said, I think Sanders if his cost is lower due to injury is more likely a fit than not.

I already gave my "swing big" kinda prediction for a WR trade: AJ Green. It makes a lot of sense unless we want to go cheap for someone "misused" still on a rookie deal.
Y'know I haven't really thought about him as an option.

I've always liked him.

So he'll be 31 and making ~$12m in 2019 without any long term commitments after this year.

I can't imagine CIN would get more than a 3rd for him.

It's fascinating to watch people here posting about players from other teams. They look for excuses to denigrate them even when neutral analysis is obviously what should be given. Prior to last season (split teams, injury), Thomas had gone 6 straight seasons of 80+ receptions, with 5 of those seasons being 90+ catch seasons. Yet, somehow, that only rates a "wasn't bad".
It’s fascinating to watch people just regurgitate stats from players from other teams without actually watching them play. The guy drops a ton of passes. Google “Demaryius Thomas drops” and multiple articles come up discussing his drops from years back. He also seems to wither in the cold. Is he terrible? No. Is he worth any real money? Not at all. He’s 31 and coming off an Achilles tear and his skills were already declining beforehand. I would think this would be more of a Joey Galloway or Torry Holt signing than a Chris Hogan or Brandon Lafell signing.

Pats have tried for him in the past. I’m sure they’ll be talking about it.

He said some mean things about us once. So did James Harrison. Harrison said he wanted to hate Brady but couldn’t after spending time with him. The same would happen with Sanders. I wouldn’t let that cloud whether I want him to sign here.

The main question is whether a 31 year old skill player can make a full recovery from a blown Achilles. Those are tough injuries; harder than ACLs as I understand it. I’d be willing to sign him to a one year deal to find out if the money’s right.

I don’t remember Sanders bashing the Pats? The only two ex Steelers I remember who made “cheaters” comments were Deebo and Clark.

Y'know I haven't really thought about him as an option.

I've always liked him.

So he'll be 31 and making ~$12m in 2019 without any long term commitments after this year.

I can't imagine CIN would get more than a 3rd for him.

I said it in another thread but it would check all the marks.

Great hands, outside WR. Exactly whats needed when others are crowding MOF.
Team with new coach that might be into draft picks more than one remaining year of him.
They might not be interested in giving him another big contract given his age.
Last year of deal.
Price tag big but not crazy big among the top tier WR.

I am sure there are some more.

Refusing to take a paycut, 32, has a SB ring. If he is cut he's going to the highest bidder
Why would he take a paycut to play with Flacco? Nobody is giving him big money. If he was going to keep playing with crappy QBs, he wasn't going to take a paycut to do it. Maybe he won't be here long term, but a one year deal makes a lot of sense for both sides.

And as soft as pie...
He's not the guy making the big catch on third down at the end of the Super Bowl. I think most people here will agree Sanders was the scarier of the two back when the Broncos were good, which now feels like ages ago.

Why would he take a paycut to play with Flacco? Nobody is giving him big money. If he was going to keep playing with crappy QBs, he wasn't going to take a paycut to do it. Maybe he won't be here long term, but a one year deal makes a lot of sense for both sides.

Where'd I say he'd get big money? I'd say he'll go to the highest bidder, which means the most guaranteed money and I highly doubt that would be New England.

This is really more of a "swing medium" considering how sensible it is for all parties.

Comments:

a.) It's all about dollars vs. production for me. My question is what is Sanders worth? Last two years, he has appeared in 12 games. 47 rec in 2017 and 71 in 2018 with about the same amount of targets. So, it was QB play in Denver then? He is due to make 10M in 2019 and is 32 years old. I'd say the value is a pretty good one for a mid-tier guy hurt by bad QB play and injuries (top end of WR market is about 18m/year).

b.) Then it is all about compensation for the Broncos....what would Denver take? A 3rd? Sign me up....more than that....not sure.

c.) Then there's the massive problem of Edelman's contract. Edelman is our best WR and right now arguably our best receiver with Gronk slowing down a bit. We would need to give Edelman a raise, IMO. So, that needs to be factored in Sanders' cost, IMO....unless we roll with a rookie WR or a WR still on his rookie deal (e.g. Cooks).

d.) As for DeMaryius Thomas...I just looked up his stats and was surprised he did a 59rec/677 yard/5TD season last year which is pretty good for "an old man". By comparison, Chris Hogan has never had more than 41 rec/680 yards/5TDs in any season. Thomas is 2" taller and weights 20 more lbs. than Hogan....and is only a year older. He would help a lot in the Red Zone and create separation with his height.

e.) Golden Tate @ 15M/year.....doesn't surprise me....that should be his market rate given the mileage on his body.

This is really more of a "swing medium" considering how sensible it is for all parties.

A WR cap hit of 12m still counts as a "swing big" move for me. But I get your point.

It’s fascinating to watch people just regurgitate stats from players from other teams without actually watching them play.

Until a couple of years ago, I used to watch pretty much every game played in the NFL. Furthermore, we're talking about a Broncos receiver, which means that we saw him play against the Patriots and in a lot of prime slot games during the Manning era, as well as in the playoffs. Your analysis is crap because you can't keep your bias under control. That's on you, not on some imagined failure of me to watch Thomas play.

As for DeMaryius Thomas...I just looked up his stats and was surprised he did a 59rec/677 yard/5TD season last year which is pretty good for "an old man". By comparison, Chris Hogan has never had more than 41 rec/680 yards/5TDs in any season. Thomas is 2" taller and weights 20 more lbs. than Hogan....and is only a year older. He would help a lot in the Red Zone and create separation with his height.

I am not sure it is fair to compare a WR1 who has been averaging over 140 targets every year since 2012 with the raw numbers of Hogan who only once went past 60 (2012: 61).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots