PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman to return for a playoff run?

Meyers is quick, especially off the line in his releases. He had a bad play on the Gilmore pick but I am not using that one play to characterize him as a player.
There is more evidence of him being a very good route runner, especially on routes underneath, with good short area quickness.

He isn't quick like Edelman or Welker before him were.

I am using the Gilmore interception as an example because it was the most glaring.

The Pats are not running nearly as many effective slants and crossing routes as they did in the past. If you look at most of the throws, they are to the outside not a lot from the center of the field. Here are some of the passing target charts from the games, notice he isn't throwing over the center very much. If the Pats face a team that can take away the outside throw, the Pats can be in trouble.

Against the Jets, he threw a lot over the middle:

Jones is great on the out routes, but I fear a team will figure out to take that away and Jones will be forced to throw over the center of the field. Not sure he has a receiver who can go over the middle like Edelman.

I am using the Gilmore interception as an example because it was the most glaring.

The Pats are not running nearly as many effective slants and crossing routes as they did in the past. If you look at most of the throws, they are to the outside not a lot from the center of the field. Here are some of the passing target charts from the games, notice he isn't throwing over the center very much. If the Pats face a team that can take away the outside throw, the Pats can be in trouble.

Jones is great on the out routes, but I fear a team will figure out to take that away and Jones will be forced to throw over the center of the field. Not sure he has a receiver who can go over the middle like Edelman.

I think some of that has to do with the design of our offense (throwing based off run sets rather than being in the gun to run a more horizontal passing game for 45 attempts), and some just due to what’s working. I don’t think it’s necessarily that the WR’s aren’t capable of it.

see here:

see here:

This play almost (and should have) won us the Bucs game.

I think some of that has to do with the design of our offense (throwing based off run sets rather than being in the gun to run a more horizontal passing game for 45 attempts), and some just due to what’s working. I don’t think it’s necessarily that the WR’s aren’t capable of it.

see here:

see here:

This play almost (and should have) won us the Bucs game.

None of these were pick routes and only one showed him using his speed to beat a defender. One he wasn't covered and the other he juked out the defender.

Meyers is quick, especially off the line in his releases. He had a bad play on the Gilmore pick but I am not using that one play to characterize him as a player.
There is more evidence of him being a very good route runner, especially on routes underneath, with good short area quickness.
The former DPOY has made a lot of receivers look bad.

Oh man, Edelman would kick ass in this offense....

I think he's happily retired and lives in L.A. now, right? I think there's a better chance of him appearing in a movie....

None of these were pick routes and only one showed him using his speed to beat a defender. One he wasn't covered and the other he juked out the defender.
1. The one against the Bucs is a pick route, it’s a follow with a rub. That’s the one you said he “wasn’t covered” (because the rub worked).
2. I don’t care about beating defenders in short areas with speed. That’s not important. Jules and Welker weren’t that fast either. Quickness, footwork, and route running matter way more. Jakobi showed quickness, which is what it takes to get open underneath and over the middle.
3. Juking the defender on a release/at the break point is exactly what you’re looking for. That’s what jules was great at, too.

The former DPOY has made a lot of receivers look bad.

Gilmore had nothing to do with Meyers' poor route on the play. They were in zone and Gilmore played the ball and not the receiver.

Fun fact about Russ Francis. A high school friend of mine dated him the year or two after she graduated from college. He was like 20 years older than her. Maybe I will call her and see if she still has his number. Maybe she can see if he is available.
Fun fact, I did a girl that Chris Slade did, it's almost like I did Chris Slade o_O

Edelman had too good of a retirement send off with perfect timing. I love him but he isn't and shouldn't be coming back
I don't think he'd have made the team had he tried to make the roster and the Pats let him compete. Barring a significant improvement from the guy we saw end of last season, it's tough to see him being able to contribute anything.

Love Edelman but I think he was being honest when he said “ the wheels have come off.” He should start a receiver coaching career or just enjoy his media career, The Patriots should play it out with what they have

I think you might be worried over nothing. In that Jets game, he had the most consecutive completions on passes thrown to the middle by any QB in the past two seasons. I think it’s just the scheme in the past few games.

It's WEEI. They need something to try and get ratings..

As others have said, Jules flat out said he's done.. He has nothing left to prove.

When I first saw this thread, I pretty much rolled my eyes and dismissed the speculation of Edelman coming out of retirement as fanciful foolishness

But…… I’ve seen two things since that kind of makes me wonder if it might actually be something being considered by Edelman and the Patriots.

The first was an Edelman tweet they showed on tv before Thursday night’s game. The tweet acknowledged the rematch of SB 51 by showing a picture of himself from that game and another picture of Edelman in a similar pose stretched out on a recliner wearing a Patriots uniform complete with helmet and pads. I just found it peculiar that he was in uniform for the “now” picture. Maybe, it means he still has the itch?

The second was a podcast discussion between Tom Curran and Colin Cowherd discussing the Pats’ interest in Odell Beckham. Cowherd thought they were interested in Beckham as a deep threat, but Curran quickly said they wanted Beckham to play the slot with the Patriots coaches thinking what’s missing from the Pats’ offense is a slot threat that can draw defenses up which would open up things deep. Julian Edelman’s game is exactly what this offense needs to reach it’s full potential.

I guess I would not be totally surprised if this happened. The Patriots could sign Edelman to the practice squad allowing them to see if Julian has anything left to give before they’d have to pay him any serious money and open a roster spot for him. Why not? 80 % of vintage Julian Edelman would be a huge addition for the Pats’ offense down the stretch and into the playoffs.

As much as I'd love to have him back I hope he doesn't do this at the risk of his long term health. The last updates on his knee were that there was no cartilage left and he had bone on bone pain. I don't want to see the guy go through knee replacements and not be able to have an active lifestyle as he gets older.
If his knee is bone on bone already, then he WILL undergo knee replacement.

The idea that any former player who's been out of the game for a year can just step in and play at a high level is fantasy.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back