PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman still not certain to be ready for 2021

Sounds realistic at first glance.

But if Tampa has Evans, Godwin, AB, Scotty Miller, Tyler Johnson.... is there really much room for Edelman?

Edelman would usually be inactive (unless they want him at punt returner) and be active to play NE.

If you look at this stuff though, the Bucs would have to mortgage the future to win now. They might do it, but I am not sure they will.
If I’m the Bucs why not? They’re a podunk redneck franchise with a very small window to win. Their window is with Brady and the minute he retires they’re back to being basement dwellers. They should mortgage the long term future which likely would have been crappy anyways for a chance to get another ring now.

They may only care about the immediate future, GOAT's last few years.

Or they could be content with the ring and be fearful that at Brady’s age he could hit the age wall fast and hard and not want to risk the future and just try to win again with what they already have with some more modest additions and/or re-signing.

If I’m the Bucs why not? They’re a podunk redneck franchise with a very small window to win. Their window is with Brady and the minute he retires they’re back to being basement dwellers. They should mortgage the long term future which likely would have been crappy anyways for a chance to get another ring now.

I am not saying the won’t. But no matter how well Brady played this year, it could all come apart hard and fast next year. If Brady can duplicate his play next year, the may feel they don’t have to mortgage the future to win. Just more modest additions that don’t sell out the future to win today.

I am not saying the won’t. But no matter how well Brady played this year, it could all come apart hard and fast next year. If Brady can duplicate his play next year, the may feel they don’t have to mortgage the future to win. Just more modest additions that don’t sell out the future to win today.
Depending on the success they have at re-signing their UFAs, I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to acquire a young vet QB to improve their backup situation; or, failing that, draft one during the first 2 days...

Even if Brady falls off a cliff what does Tampa have to lose? They end up right back where the were for the decade before Brady. I lived down there from 2009 to 2018. They never made the playoffs and had one winning season. You used to be able to show up game day with no tickets and buy some at the gate for $20 and sit wherever you wanted. Most of those hayseeds would spend more time drinking at the pirate ship than watching the game. The fanbase is a joke. If Brady falls off a cliff in 2021 he will still be the greatest QB the team has ever had.

If you look at this stuff though, the Bucs would have to mortgage the future to win now. They might do it, but I am not sure they will.
Your definition of "mortgage the future" seems to be an odd one. How is it mortgaging the future to give contract extensions to players you want to keep longer?

Your definition of "mortgage the future" seems to be an odd one. How is it mortgaging the future to give contract extensions to players you want to keep longer?

Funny, when you renegotiate deals of current high priced players to give top of the market contracts to other players, I always thought that pushes a ton of dead cap money into future years limiting your ability to make moves in those years. I guess you found a loophole where it doesn’t count against the cap.

Even if Brady falls off a cliff what does Tampa have to lose? They end up right back where the were for the decade before Brady. I lived down there from 2009 to 2018. They never made the playoffs and had one winning season. You used to be able to show up game day with no tickets and buy some at the gate for $20 and sit wherever you wanted. Most of those hayseeds would spend more time drinking at the pirate ship than watching the game. The fanbase is a joke. If Brady falls off a cliff in 2021 he will still be the greatest QB the team has ever had.

That’s a loser’s attitude. That is a perfect way to get a GM fired.

At one point in time, the Patriots were the Bucs. The Pats were one of the jokes in the league. Then came Parcells, Kraft, and Bledsoe and Brady and Belichick after that. And the Pats became the premiere team in the league.

History doesn’t have to keep repeating itself forever.

He will be tagged. He already stated he will accept that and fight with his guys.

I think they should make a rule that you can't tag someone right after the end of their rookie contract. That or it should be an extra penalty. These guys have to wait a long time to get security for themselves and their family. I don't like the idea you can play out your rookie deal on which your forced to be paid a potential fraction of your worth. Then you get tagged as you come off it. I'd be thinking 'how many more bullets do I need to dodge before I get my real money? It just feels wrong.

Sounds realistic at first glance.

But if Tampa has Evans, Godwin, AB, Scotty Miller, Tyler Johnson.... is there really much room for Edelman?

Except for AB, the rest of those receivers, while extremely talented, are average route runners (technique-wise) with a nut sack of tricks. Can't count how many times they were not where Brady wanted them to be.

At the conclusion of the Super Bowl, did you see who was the first person to bro hug Brady on the field? Edelman.

He got there before Gisselle.

AB needs to get ready to move from the Bradys guest house.

Except for AB, the rest of those receivers, while extremely talented, are average route runners (technique-wise) with a nut sack of tricks. Can't count how many times they were not where Brady wanted them to be.
It was very telling that Gronk and AB did all the scoring in the Super Bowl.

Edelman would quickly be back in fantasy football news in Tampa.

I hope Edelman has people who will intervene if he tries to go Pedroia on this.

That’s a loser’s attitude. That is a perfect way to get a GM fired.

At one point in time, the Patriots were the Bucs. The Pats were one of the jokes in the league. Then came Parcells, Kraft, and Bledsoe and Brady and Belichick after that. And the Pats became the premiere team in the league.

History doesn’t have to keep repeating itself forever.
They are a loser team. They are a loser franchise. They are the minor leagues. The only thing that changed that is Brady. Once Brady is gone they are back to being losers. Sell out while you have Brady and then when he leaves go back to drafting/signing subpar QBs that waste any of the other talent on the roster.

I think they should make a rule that you can't tag someone right after the end of their rookie contract. That or it should be an extra penalty. These guys have to wait a long time to get security for themselves and their family. I don't like the idea you can play out your rookie deal on which your forced to be paid a potential fraction of your worth. Then you get tagged as you come off it. I'd be thinking 'how many more bullets do I need to dodge before I get my real money? It just feels wrong.
You talking about Thuney?

Funny, when you renegotiate deals of current high priced players to give top of the market contracts to other players, I always thought that pushes a ton of dead cap money into future years limiting your ability to make moves in those years. I guess you found a loophole where it doesn’t count against the cap.
Didn't the Patriots do this several times in the last 5 years, to chase rings is what I heard.

Didn't the Patriots do this several times in the last 5 years, to chase rings is what I heard.

Nah! I don't think the Pats ever did it. That is part of the reason Brady was frustrated. He felt they never were all in to get him weapons. At least not except rare exceptions in 2007 as an example.

Nah! I don't think the Pats ever did it. That is part of the reason Brady was frustrated. He felt they never were all in to get him weapons. At least not except rare exceptions in 2007 as an example.
Huh, didn't they extend High and McCourty. I may be wrong. Thought they did.

Maybe it was a restructure.

They are a loser team. They are a loser franchise. They are the minor leagues. The only thing that changed that is Brady. Once Brady is gone they are back to being losers. Sell out while you have Brady and then when he leaves go back to drafting/signing subpar QBs that waste any of the other talent on the roster.
They have a plan. Keep extending Brady until his oldest son can take over at QB.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back