PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Early Pro Football HOF nominees list

Lewis said moss are locks

I personally think ty law should be in and so should Steve taker

Lewis, Urlacher and Ronde Barber will get in on the first ballot.

Owens will get in this year, as will John Lynch.

Moss will be made to wait a year or two, because all WRs who aren't Jerry rice have to.

Seymour and Law are probably eventual HOFers, but it will take a while.

Corey Dillon
Fred Taylor (2 years here)
Randy Moss
Ben Coates
Richard Seymour
Tedy Bruschi
Willie McGinest
Rodney Harrison
Ty Law
A few unrelated thoughts on the travesty of the HOF.
1) Careers after football should not matter but they do. If McGinest is a good c0-worker/analyst at NFL.com or network or whatever -or Tedy Bruschi at E!SPN or whatever - it will matter. It shouldn't, but it will. Nothing sinister. Just HOF voters being human.
2) Now the sinister bit: Defensive players need not apply. I'm not making that up. I forget the raw numbers but for every defensive player there are like 7 offensive players Maybe not sinister, just HOF voters being idiots. Ty Law should make it and fortunately has pick 6 highlights the idiots might see.
3) I, personally, would not vote in Moss.... yet. I'd make him be nominated and fail once for each year on the Raiders. :)
4) I'd vote for Harrison, but he has no chance. HGH and explaining to idiots he was not voted to pro-bowls because he'd actually play as opposed to brother-in-law.

Dislike Ray Lewis highly. I know his play is deserving but from an outsider who doesn't know the guy, this is an ugly human being who was atleast involved in a double murder.

If TO can get the treatment from voters I'm hoping Ray Lewis can as well. Absolutely cannot and will not watch his speech if it happens. He doesn't deserve my attention for that day imo.
Rodney, and the others for that matter, killed fewer guys than Lewis.

Corey Dillon is #1 on my list.

Randy Moss, 2.

Tommy Nobis (Falcons), Cliff Branch (Raiders) and Alex Karras (Lions) belong in the HOF.

Tedy Bruschi
Lynch has credentials, but Randy Gradishar belongs in there too
th
th

There are at least two running backs (James and Taylor) I'd put in over Dillon. That said, there are only two active RBs nearing the end of their careers who are deserving of a place in the Hall (Peterson and Gore) so it wouldn't shock me if Dillon was enshrined in the next decade or so.

Dislike Ray Lewis highly. I know his play is deserving but from an outsider who doesn't know the guy, this is an ugly human being who was atleast involved in a double murder.

If TO can get the treatment from voters I'm hoping Ray Lewis can as well. Absolutely cannot and will not watch his speech if it happens. He doesn't deserve my attention for that day imo.
Convicted of obstruction, and only fined by NFL...integrity....

Lewis is a lock, unfortunately.

Moss should be #2 on the list, but considering what has happened with Owens, who knows? Maybe he gets the TO treatment and has to wait a couple years. If the voters decide that Owens has waited long enough, it is also possible that they don't want two receivers going in at the same time - more so with it being both Owens and Moss. On the other hand putting both in at the same time gives them each a little bit less of the spotlight, so voters holding a grudge may like that idea.

After that I would say Brian Urlacher. Similar to the WR situation above, do the voters add two players at the same position though? Especially if they consider Lewis to be the best nominee from the group, does that work against Urlacher?

Joe Jacoby (or maybe Alan Faneca or Steve Hutchinson) has a good chance of getting in. It would probably go to the tackle (Jacoby) over a guard (Faneca/Hutchinson) or center.

Seymour should get in but his chances are hurt in two ways. Because of the defensive philosophy of the team he played for, he didn't rack up eye-popping sack stats. Secondly with several Patriot nominees on defense (McGinest, Bruschi, Law), they may cancel out each others votes.

Don't discount the distinct possibility of Paul Tagliabue getting in either, as a contributor.

We have seen in recent years that those that remain visible on television tend to have a much better shot of getting in. That means John Lynch could get in (even though Brian Dawkins was a better safety from the same era, and deserves to get in now). His teammate Ronde Barber could also sneak in for the same reason (even though Ty Law was a better CB).

From the senior committee, Jerry Kramer is a good possibility as well. He is the only player from the NFL's 50th anniversary team that is not in the HoF, he has the rings (five championships), and even has a highlight reel play (block in the Ice Bowl).

I can't see any coaches getting in this year. Don Corryell is the most deserving, but with no championships he won't make it. Bill Cowher has stayed in the public eye but that would be a really difficult sell (especially over Jimmy Johnson).

My guess:
  • Ray Lewis
  • Randy Moss
  • Terrell Owens
  • Brain Urlacher
  • Paul Tagliabue
  • Jerry Kramer
  • Brian Dawkins
  • Joe Jacoby

Don't discount the distinct possibility of Paul Tagliabue getting in either, as a contributor.
Well, solely on the basis of Tags' coining the phrase, "The Patriots damaged the league", which has been picked up by his successor and all other Pats-haters, including flying elvis initiator James Orthwein (whose precious Bud label remains intact after generations), I'd say he's a lock.

Corey Dillon, Alex Karras, Cliff Branch and Tommy Nobis belong in HOF, if it were legitimate.

From the senior committee, Jerry Kramer is a good possibility as well. He is the only player from the NFL's 50th anniversary team that is not in the HoF, he has the rings (five championships), and even has a highlight reel play (block in the Ice Bowl).
I agree with this. He should have been in 20 years ago. The argument is that there are too many Packers from that era already in. They were that good and he was that good.
Alex Karras and Geno Cappelletti belong in also.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back