PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles trade DT Isaac Sopoaga to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
horrible move...the simple truth is he is no Vernon Gholston...or Dee Milliner
The simpletruth is the jest Suck

If he can help on one or two short yardage/goalline plays per game, it will be well worth the minor loss of draft positioning

Greetings,
BB knows good and well what Sopoaga will bring to this team, and that is why he went after him with this trade. BB is not expecting Sopoaga to be a dominant pass rusher at all, that is not why he is here at all. BB knows what he brings to the table, and it is something this defense is sorely missing. If you have watched any Patriot games of late you will notice that this run defense is giving way too many yards, they are currently ranked 31st in that category. The simple truth is BB did this trade for that reason only. Why would anyone in their right mind think pass rushing would be a major role in a trade for Isaac Sopoga?

Celticboy04

Greetings,
BB knows good and well what Sopoaga will bring to this team, and that is why he went after him with this trade. BB is not expecting Sopoaga to be a dominant pass rusher at all, that is not why he is here at all. BB knows what he brings to the table, and it is something this defense is sorely missing. If you have watched any Patriot games of late you will notice that this run defense is giving way too many yards, they are currently ranked 31st in that category. The simple truth is BB did this trade for that reason only. Why would anyone in their right mind think pass rushing would be a role in a trade for Isaac Sopoga?

Celticboy04

Well, to be technical, I think Ted Washington even got a sack once. :rocker:

horrible move...the simple truth is he is no Vernon Gholston...or Dee Milliner

I can't speak for Milliner, but:

Gholston, career: 42 tackles, 0 sacks
Joe Vellano, 8 games: 32 tackles, 1 sack

Winner: Vellano :D

If he can help on one or two short yardage/goalline plays per game, it will be well worth the minor loss of draft positioning

The best part is, the better he plays, the LESS the trade costs. :D

Good article from the Philly side on why he was expendable.

This article is on his team first mentality.

I love the trade. Addresses a need, low risk and high upside.

It is comical when any sort of ho-hum reaction to something everyone else believes is a really great move, is considered "negative" and must be from a troll. *rolls eyes*

I don't think the guy is all that good. I will take no issue admitting I am wrong if I am. Big deal.

My opinion not mirroring yours does not make me a troll, however.

You are a troll and your opinion is garbage. You probably should take a remedial reading comprehension class to boot.

Most people are NOT touting Sopoaga as anything more than a solid veteran NT addition to a line that was thinned out by injury. YOU, on the other hand, started by throwing out stats that clearly showed you to be ignorant on what a NT's job actually is.

No, because when I have watched him play he does not demand a double team and he is not good at shedding blockers. So once blocked, he is blocked. That is not freeing up anyone unless you think every defender that runs into a blocker and takes that blocker out of the equation is freeing someone else up. I don't look at it that way.

Clearly shows that you don't actually watch him. Sopoaga does demand a double team. And in the 4-3 under that the Pats have been running, you'll see that. Furthermore, a NT in the 3-4 or 4-3 Under isn't supposed to "shed blockers". His job is to tie them up and keep them from getting to LBers.

With every post, you enlighten us to the depths of your football ignorance.

NFL

Why did SF get rid of Sopoaga? 49ers had the 2nd ranked run D in 2012.

SF didn't "GET RID" of Sopoaga. They chose to not meet his contract demands and were forced to sign Glenn Dorsey to an inflated contract as a result.

Of course they got rid of him. They could have had him. He would have come back for the same money the Eagles offered him which is not much more than the Niners gave Dorsey and Dorsey is not that good.

Gotta love when someone's opinion get's in the way of facts.

Sopoaga signed with the Eagles the 1st day of free agency because the 49ers couldn't afford to keep him. That isn't "getting rid" of him, as you claim. They had to SETTLE for Dorsey (for whom they over-paid) because they missed out on Sopoaga.

But, yeah, you keep thinking that the 49ers "got rid of him".

The run down only guy is only really valued in 3rd and 4th and short and goal line. 1st down not so much. If the 1st down run defense is stout because of a one dimensional player or two, then the opponent will just throw on 1st down.

And then they become predictable. And, if you knew anything about football, you know that when you force your opposition to become predictable, you control the game.

Good article from the Philly side on why he was expendable.

This article is on his team first mentality.

I love the trade. Addresses a need, low risk and high upside.

Did you link the wrong Philly Article because the one you linked was from Training camp?

Good value for a position of dire need, I like it, even if he isn't a world beater. Now, we just need to stay healthy.

I don't know how anyone can not like this. After the Wilfork injury ideas were thrown around to sign a bunch of wash ups on the FA market. The Patriots, instead, got a better player than any of them and will pay him less than vet minimum. They can cut him before next season too. At worst, he is a slightly more than adequate stop gap. At best, he is the starting NT for a few years until BB works yet another rookie into the role via draft.

Gotta love when someone's opinion get's in the way of facts.

Sopoaga signed with the Eagles the 1st day of free agency because the 49ers couldn't afford to keep him. That isn't "getting rid" of him, as you claim. They had to SETTLE for Dorsey (for whom they over-paid) because they missed out on Sopoaga.

But, yeah, you keep thinking that the 49ers "got rid of him".

And then they become predictable. And, if you knew anything about football, you know that when you force your opposition to become predictable, you control the game.
\

The Pats had TWO DT's before this move...they just added an experienced veteran to go with TWO ROOKIES. You have to be walking around with an ice pick stuck in your forehead to attack THIS particular signing.

Love the signing. Sopoaga a baller. Is he Vince Wilfork? No, but nobody is. He's a natural NT, his stats aren't gonna blow anyone away. Like I said, is he an elite NT? No, but he's probably a notch below. He's very good.

Just to clear up a couple of things here. SF didn't let him walk. They happen to have a young team, and have to make a couple of big decisions on contracts soon (Kaepernick, A Smith, Bowman come to mind). They can't keep everybody, and there was no way they were going to match the Eagles offer. He's not the reason why Philly D was so bad. He's a run stopper, that d is getting killed in the passing game. More than likely we need him more than the Eagles do, plus you would have to think BB got a close view of him with the joint practices we did this training camp.

:cool::cool::cool:

sopoaga-modified.jpg

My friend the witch doctor, he taught me what to say
My friend the witch doctor, he taught me what to do
I know that you'll be mine when I say this to you
Oh, Baby ....

(Chorus:)
Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tang
Walla walla, bing bang
Walla walla, bing bang...
Walla walla, bing bang
Walla walla, bing bang

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back