PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dwayne Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out the first play from scrimmage in the home opener.
Brady missed him more than Allen diddnt come down with it. Perhaps Allen was not where TB thought he should be, but it was not a well thrown ball.

Agree I mean hes only had 3 opportunities its not his fault we dont design plays for him. The few we did Brady missed him bad on one and Allen dropped the other its to small a sample size. I thought we might see more Allen usage (like how they tried this weeknd) some quick out patterns to the flat and close to the line of scrimmage as a way to offset loss of Edelman.

Brady missed him more than Allen diddnt come down with it. Perhaps Allen was not where TB thought he should be, but it was not a well thrown ball.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

The winning td catch to cooks was all timing. Brady even said he didn't see him in the end zone. This is how we win Super Bowls when dlmen are pawing at you and there's only seconds to react. With that said that throw to Allen wasn't perfect but it was also a bad attempt at catching it.

I thought he stunk in Indy, i said i didn't like the trade the day it happened and he's not good, i still think he's awful today.

You can say what you want about the Colts but one thing they've been good at is throwing the ball and racking up mass yardage, Andrew Luck preferred Coby Fleener then Jack Doyle for a reason, Allen blows.

It was a bust of a trade on a bust of a player, looks like tarzan plays like Jane keep waiting for him to come good you'll be waiting until the end of time he just doesn't have it.

Indy robbed Bill, this is a guy who's getting cut.
Please list all his assignments, especially blocking assignments, and note when he missed on these assignments.

Belichick paid a lot (and a lot less than Bennett wanted) for someone who is primarily a blocker. One might conclude that a consistent blocking tight end is worth a lot to this team.

I understand that folks think that it is critical to have a 10th receiving threat (after 4 Wr's, 4 RB's and Gronk). I suspect that Belichick doesn't think that Allen is failure because he hasn't contributed as a receiver yet. Just BTW, we've had lots of others who took a lot of time to learn to be productive in the passing game.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
There is not anything to disagree about. It wasn't catchable. I guess we could debate who's fault that was and there is a good possibility that it was Allens fault as I indicated.

But not being able to catch a uncatchable ball dosent help a "he cant catch argument" and he may not be a good player for us. Or maybe his blocking is good enough for BB. And maybe there aren't better options since Bennett isn't doing much either.

Allen cant run the proper route may be another issue.

Amendola at one point "stunk" too. I had major debates with several posters about him in 13 and 14. Sheer battles. That seemed to turn out quite nicely.

I think we here to discuss his receiving ability. If blocking were a priority then we would just use Fleming.

When you use a TE to block instead of a lineman dosent that give pause to the defense because they aren't sure if the TE is going to stay and block or release off the line?

I mean, isn't football about creating matchups, mismatches and not showing your hand? Dosent a TE accomplish that when a OL wouldn't?

That's why we are discussing his receiving ability. If he can't catch the ball then he's just an Olmen and defeats the purpose of having a TE and we lose a down trying to throw at him. I hope they figure it out though or not then use hollister.

Last edited:
That's why we are discussing his receiving ability. If he can't catch the ball then he's just an Olmen and defeats the purpose of having a TE.

That is great but the title of the thread was not Allens receiving ability. And TE bring other value to a team other than just receiving.

Regarding the main point - the sample size is kinda tiny. This sounds like DA sucks, cant stay on the field stuff we had to endure for like 2 years. It will work itself out.

Nobody is saying he is Daniel Graham or is psyched he has zero catches. Nobody is saying he is living up to (our) expectations - which may be higher than BBs or perhaps unrealistic . How much better is Bennett doing anyway?

Someone claimed he Allen isnt blocking well. MGetich asked which assignments he missed. We are waiting for this info.

That is whats frustrating about this place. Lot of kneejerking and claims and not a lot of perspective and patience. And, as typical, its the same posters every year.

Sure Allen hasent caught a couple balls so far. Its 2 balls. But he "stinks" even though he may be blocking really well?

There is not anything to disagree about. It wasn't catchable. I guess we could debate who's fault that was and there is a good possibility that it was Allens fault as I indicated.

But not being able to catch a uncatchable ball dosent help a "he cant catch argument" and he may not be a good player for us. Or maybe his blocking is good enough for BB. And maybe there aren't better options since Bennett isn't doing much either.

Allen cant run the proper route may be another issue.

Amendola at one point "stunk" too. I had major debates with several posters about him in 13 and 14. Sheer battles. That seemed to turn out quite nicely.
See I think it was eminently catchable, and therein lies the "anything" to disagree about. It hit him right in his (alligator) hands. I said Albert Haynesworth was a bust and the Pats should cut him. Lots disagreed with me, but the Pats cut him soon thereafter. I guess we're tied on this being right stuff.

When you use a TE to block instead of a lineman dosent that give pause to the defense because they aren't sure if the TE is going to stay and block or release off the line?

I mean, isn't football about creating matchups, mismatches and not showing your hand? Dosent a TE accomplish that when a OL wouldn't?
Yes, indeed.

Recall players like Hooman (who's still playing). He was a blocker, but the defense has to account for the possibility of him releasing and catching a pass.

Was Chandler a great blocker?

Why not criticize Slater for his poor WR skills? Or Ebner, because he is still very slow to rise on the safety depth chart?

Actually Chandler was ok but then got seriously injured.

Was Chandler a great blocker?

Why not criticize Slater for his poor WR skills? Or Ebner, because he is still very slow to rise on the safety depth chart?

How much are we paying Allen to be a backup O lineman? Way too much

How much are we paying Allen to be a backup O lineman? Way too much
The point is that he is a BU OL but when he is in there the other team dosent know what he will do - stay/release. That is an advantage when you are trying to "trick" the other team.

I am not directing this at you but it would be nice for some posters to grasp the idea that not everything in football is about catches or stats etc. There are a ton of nuances that even most of the very knowledgeable hobbyists on this board wouldn't even realize that go into winning a football game. Allen could be great at picking up a 6 tech tackle etc. Not many posters would think about these things or understand its importance and I wouldn't expect a lot of these posters to understand this since they probably can barely dress themselves in the morning.

Yes, indeed.

Recall players like Hooman (who's still playing). He was a blocker, but the defense has to account for the possibility of him releasing and catching a pass.
It's too bad that defenses will also figure out pretty quickly that they don't have to account for Allen much, whether he releases or not. Hey, I hope I'm wrong but so far I haven't seen much from Allen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back