PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dwayne Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, it's going to depend on how much pull Howe has with those weekly breakdowns that are credited to the Herald staff, because they've been hard on his blocking for at least 3 games, now. If multiple reporters are sharing the same opinion, that would probably be more concerning that just Jeff Howe's take.

I thought it was terribly odd that he wasn't in on the back to back short yardage plays where they ran the ball last week, but I'm not going to pretend that I know what the coaches wanted, there. The video breakdown on the failed Dion Lewis block was from last week vs. Carolina though, so if that's really Chatham's opinion two weeks in a row, he may be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

He's here to stay, though, so unless Hollister puts on weight, muscle, and experience, we're going to continue to let the sample size increase and hope for the best.

Chathams podcast breakdown on Tampa is not out yet so I am going by the Texans and Panthers game. He literally said that Allen was great at blocking from what he has seen.

I trust Chatham infinitely more than any of the beat writers to interpret and analyze gametape because he actually lived the life from the inside and understands plays considerably better than journalists. Even those with a ****ton of experience.

The best example was how most of them jumped onto the "lol secondary" take on that infamous fake screen to when the ball actually went to Fozzy while Chatham calmly pointed out that this was first and foremost a failure of the front 7, KVN and Elandon Roberts specifically. Also how Malcom Brown was the only player on the DL that actually diagnosed that screen, got overpowered so couldnt do anything about it but then later in the fourth quarter adjusted and actually blew up another screen.

I will post a nice wrap up summary of Chathams more interesting takes to the two rewatch threads just so we have them there for historic reference at some point this week.

And according to the last two Chatham podcasts his blocking has been great. Make of that what you will..

It boils down to almost exactly what Chatham is saying. The expectations for Allen should be around 25-30 catches a year (think Crumpler). If he can provide 1-2 targets per game this is all that is necessary. Everyone that expects more from him should only blame themselves for being disappointed.

I also see his contract brought up often but that just doesnt matter. You traded for a player on a contract that you never negotiated. It was either that or potentially grossly overpaying a Bennett who would have leveraged his situation to the max via a bidding war between teams. Or even worse, missing out entirely on having a real TE in addition to Gronk.

Since when is Dwayne Allen a "real" TE? He can block somewhat, but he stinks at receiving

Since when is Dwayne Allen a "real" TE? He can block somewhat, but he stinks at receiving

Until the influx of pass catching TEs came along in the most recent 8 years, there were like 10 TEs good at catching the ball in the history of the NFL.

Considering Gronk was out and with his playing time increased, somehow he didn't even catch one ball and I don't even remember if he was even targeted. That's worrisome.

George Kittle vs Indy Clots: 7 catches, 83 yards, 1 TD.

Agreed except that AJ is more of a receiver than a TE. Allen is supposed to be a blocker. Lord knows Nate Solder needs the help lately. Hope all's well in Solder land.

Aside from Ealy I think this pick up or I should say position drop from last season hurts the most on offense. Bennett did it all and did it pretty banged up. At this point we had better options using Jermaine Wiggins and some LBs or OL stepping in for a play than we do now. I’d take Hoo back!

After last game, I don't think I can expect much from Allen. If he ends the year with more than 20 catches, I'll be happy.

I saw Holister open once last game, but Brady ignored him, so I think the problem is more chemistry here. If he could block, he'd become our #2 TE.

Me too.

Clearly things aren't pointing the right way but if he does zip this year the good news is they can cut him next year and have $0 dead money count towards the cap.

For the sake of argument, while Marty is a better player, his cap $s are really high as are his dead money totals.

Allen is $5m, $5m and $7m for 3 years. Marty is $7m, $7m, $7m for next 3 years. Marty is clearly much more superior value.

Allen is $5m, $5m and $7m for 3 years. Marty is $7m, $7m, $7m for next 3 years. Marty is clearly much more superior value.
No doubt Marty is the better player. That goes without saying.

In the Pats eyes, they didn't want to pay that for a TE2 so the settled for a cheaper, lesser player with less financial risk.

Marty asked for 9m+ which is one of the reasons the Pats moved on. After a while with no movement on the market he had to settle for 7m. It was 100% the right move to not wait around and risk ending up either empty handed or getting into a bidding war with GB or whoever else was interested in him. And this has nothing to do with Allen, just on a conceptual level it was the right move to hit the eject button and look for alternatives.

Marty asked for 9m+ which is one of the reasons the Pats moved on. After a while with no movement on the market he had to settle for 7m. It was 100% the right move to not wait around and risk ending up either empty handed or getting into a bidding war with GB or whoever else was interested in him. And this has nothing to do with Allen, just on a conceptual level it was the right move to hit the eject button and look for alternatives.

It was the right move. It was the same scenario with welker/amendola. I know I have been harsh on him but he has earned the criticism and he has acknowledged his subpar play too. With all that said there is still lots of time for him to contribute and make our offense better. I hope it's soon because we just brought in some TEs for tryouts.

Dwayne Allen is robbing the patriots

Dwayne Allen is robbing the patriots

If he keeps playing like this the patriots deserve getting robbed. Who in their right minds would look for talent from dolts organization. First they start deflategate, then we are fined and our qb is dragged through the mud and after we lose two draft picks we give the dolts another draft pick and spend more millions on a TE they don't even want anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents