PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dugger possible COVID positive or contact (edit: added to Reserve/Covid list)

Regarding the nursing shortage in many parts of the country, there's a real Catch 22 dilemma facing hospitals. Desperate hospitals pay massive daily bonuses in addition to their sizeable salaries. At the hospital my wife works at, they pay an extra $1000 per shift on top normal wages that already are in the $1000 range. While some nurses take full advantage of the massive bonuses and work weeks on end without taking any time off, most see the extra large pay checks as an opportunity to work less days and still be able to cover their monthly expenses, hence the shortage.
Another issue is nurse poaching by other hospitals in the area that have similar staffing issues. The least desirable hospital in the area has been offering $1500 daily bonuses.
The wife has been telling me the most prevalent conversations at the nurses station having nothing to do with care but rather about what model Mercedes or new home they are all buying.
The train is out of the station... We will see the consequences of this decades to come.

Regarding the nursing shortage in many parts of the country, there's a real Catch 22 dilemma facing hospitals. Desperate hospitals pay massive daily bonuses in addition to their sizeable salaries. At the hospital my wife works at, they pay an extra $1000 per shift on top normal wages that already are in the $1000 range. While some nurses take full advantage of the massive bonuses and work weeks on end without taking any time off, most see the extra large pay checks as an opportunity to work less days and still be able to cover their monthly expenses, hence the shortage.
Another issue is nurse poaching by other hospitals in the area that have similar staffing issues. The least desirable hospital in the area has been offering $1500 daily bonuses.
The wife has been telling me the most prevalent conversations at the nurses station having nothing to do with care but rather about what model Mercedes or new home they are all buying.

Borg, those numbers are wrong. A top-scale registered nurse makes +/- $50-$75 an hour. Yes, hospitals are offering bonuses to new hires but they're in the neighborhood of $5k-$10k, payable after six-12 months on the job.

ICU Nurse: Annual $95,000 or $50.75/hr*​

ICU nurses require a specialized set of skills since they literally deal with life-and-death matters on a daily basis. They often work in hospital ICUs but also can work in other areas of nursing. Becoming a critical care nurse is seen as one of the most coveted positions in nursing, as these nurses possess a very high level of critical thinking and nursing skills.

ICU Nurse Salary​

The average annual salary for ICU Nurses was $95,000 as of August 2021, according to ZipRecruiter. While the range typically falls between $52,000 and $173,000, critical care nurses often make well over $100,000 based on their shift, hospital, and location. New nurses generally start at the lower end of the pay scale before quickly moving up. Critical care nurses typically work 36 hours per week, making their hourly wage approximately $50.75 on average.

a rookie that has missed the entire season thus far including TC? If we need him to play in our biggest game of the season thus far after just 5 (three of which were walk thrus) days of practice, the we are in HUGE trouble.

No PP2, Bledsoe is a long way from seeing the field this season, if at all.

I'm warning you, don't interfere with my reckless speculations. I prefer conjecture over facts.

He’ll need to test positive either tomorrow or Sunday morning to have a shot at playing Monday.

Borg, those numbers are wrong. A top-scale registered nurse makes +/- $50-$75 an hour. Yes, hospitals are offering bonuses to new hires but they're in the neighborhood of $5k-$10k, payable after six-12 months on the job.

ICU nurses require a specialized set of skills since they literally deal with life-and-death matters on a daily basis. They often work in hospital ICUs but also can work in other areas of nursing. Becoming a critical care nurse is seen as one of the most coveted positions in nursing, as these nurses possess a very high level of critical thinking and nursing skills.

ICU Nurse Salary​

The average annual salary for ICU Nurses was $95,000 as of August 2021, according to ZipRecruiter. While the range typically falls between $52,000 and $173,000, critical care nurses often make well over $100,000 based on their shift, hospital, and location. New nurses generally start at the lower end of the pay scale before quickly moving up. Critical care nurses typically work 36 hours per week, making their hourly wage approximately $50.75 on average.
Your googling is not factual.

ICU Nurse Salary​

Desperate times
Sorry the numbers upset you so.
PS…..Not ICU nurses either

I have, it’s a big part of what I do for a living. And you can’t go off of raw data that hasn’t been investigated. VAERS allows reporting from anybody, so some loon with a bunch of free time could submit a large number of false reports if they so chose to do.

So as you look at the Data how do these mRna vaccines compare to previous vaccines?
It appears that deaths associated with the mRna vaccines are higher than all other prior vaccines combined in terms of reports. Do you find this unusual?>

He’ll need to test positive either tomorrow or Sunday morning to have a shot at playing Monday.
I think you mean negative. (But I knew what you meant. I just can't not do it. It's either this or mark up my monitor with red sharpie.)

What are the chances he plays ? Has had a negative result since he first tested positive ?

So as you look at the Data how do these mRna vaccines compare to previous vaccines?
It appears that deaths associated with the mRna vaccines are higher than all other prior vaccines combined in terms of reports. Do you find this unusual?>
This is a tricky question to answer, and in no way am I dodging providing a direct answer, but VAERS is essentially a data gathering warehouse that serves as an early warning system for serious AEs. I haven't looked into the numbers you mentioned about mRNA vs non-mRNA vaccines but assuming it is true, there could a number of reasons. One of them is the aggressive monitoring system set up by the CDC to check in with people and gather AE related information. That could be bringing on more reports of death post vaccination from families or healthcare providers of the deceased. Another potential reason is that there have been around 450 million doses of mRNA administered in the US, which outpaces other vaccines, so more doses will equal more reporting and since Covid has shown a greater degree of lethality than things like flu or pneumonia, there are going to be higher numbers of deaths reported.

All that said, the last data set that I saw put reports of deaths at well under 1% of all total reported AEs. Of those, i don't believe any death was deemed to be caused by the vaccine. There are a lot of sick people with multiple co-morbid conditions who are at high risk of hospitalization and death, even after vaccination (and especially if not fully vaccinated). Bottom line for me is that the vaccines, whether Moderna, Pfizer or J&J, are all effective and deemed safe by the CDC and FDA. But like any medication, supplement or alternative treatment, there is always a risk and people need to weigh that risk vs the risk of getting sick from Covid. And given enough time, there will be a mutation that not only is more easily transmissible but is also more lethal. It's just what viruses do.

Dugger got placed on the covid list on Wednesday for a "close contact". Which I take to mean someone in his immediate circle has tested positive. He needs 2 negative tests to play if he is vaccinated. That should be done by Saturday the latest. If both tests are negative, then he should clear on Sunday, or perhaps on Saturday.

Even if he's been home isolated, they still could have gotten him the game plan for this week, so he'll be familiar with it and be able to participate in Sunday's walk through. Hopefully we'll get word one way or the other tomorrow
Close Contact is a protocol for unvaccinated players…at least in this case...vaccinated players would be have some restrictions like daily testing and masking. Unvaccinated close contact players are put on reserve.

He’s likely out five days, provided he doesn’t register a negative test himself. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

No positive tests and he should be good to go, notwithstanding the missed practices and how Bill handles that.

1638597004853.png

1638597076118.png

So from this it seems he's vaccinated. Hopefully he can test negative twice before Monday

This certainly makes you think so. I mean, if Roger and the league has a chance to nail us...you know they’d be all excited to do so.

I have two close friends who just retired 2 years ago from the infant ICU (NICU). They used to always tell me this. One of them was a single mom with 3 kids so she would always do the overnight shift which was double time. She made crazy money but was able to raise her kids without ever needing a second job.

Desperate times
$2000 per shift would mean they are earning $8000 dollars a week for 4, 12 hour shifts. That's 400,000 per year with a 2 week vacation. Don't see how that's possible

Desperate times

They don't "upset me," they simply are ridiculously wrong. No way in the history of the world and beyond has a nurse ever made that kind of money. Either you're making it up or whoever told you that with a straight face needs their head examined. Or maybe you're confusing nurses with doctors.

$2000 per shift would mean they are earning $8000 dollars a week for 4, 12 hour shifts. That's 400,000 per year with a 2 week vacation. Don't see how that's possible

They don't "upset me," they simply are ridiculously wrong. No way in the history of the world and beyond has a nurse ever made that kind of money. Either you're making it up or whoever told you that with a straight face needs their head examined. Or maybe you're confusing nurses with doctors.
Recognize the entire health system is stretched way beyond its breaking point. We have contact with the hospice end of nursing, and they can't keep people.

It's apparently true - 400k/year.

So just like the $7,000 electric bills because you had electric heat in Texas during super-capitalist energy pricing, this might just be what supply and demand looks like for nursing in a pandemic. (I was also skeptical, but the $8k a week figure appears in that story. That said... what do I know? What mechanism would allay this given this market?)

It's not like we have national health care where the gubmit just sets nurse's pay.

Last edited:
I’m just glad that horrendous tick tok trend of the dancing nurses in hospitals came to an end. What an embarrassment and slap in the face to nurses actually taking their job seriously.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back