PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dugger possible COVID positive or contact (edit: added to Reserve/Covid list)

The Pats play a DB on a TE in man-to-man - still lost in what you are referring to. From a NESN article after we played Miami last year.

Williams, New England’s second-round pick in last year’s NFL draft, lined up opposite tight end Mike Gesicki on each of his 27 defensive snaps in the Patriots’ 21-11 victory over the Miami Dolphins at Gillette Stadium.

The vast majority of those snaps called for Williams to match up with Gesicki in man coverage, often in key situations. He did so on 11 of Miami’s 13 third downs, one fourth down and one two-point conversion.

Hard to believe that was what BB wanted, optimally. I don't remember much about that game.

Williams has been benched from time to time, because his coverage skills are spotty.

I remember when Jalen Ramsey was trash-talking before the AFCCG in January 2018 that someone posted the #'s that showed Gronk was much less effective when covered by a CB.

Of course there's going to be exceptions, but putting a CB on a TE is not an ideal situation. It's not what a CB typically does.

I think Williams will be helping out at Safety in the absence of Dugger and more zone then usual will be had by all.

Understood.. and from what I understand, Dugger was MIA in yesterday's practice which is install day (that would have been planned the night before) and you don't know if he'll be back (if he's vaccinated all he needs is 2 negative tests 24 hours apart). With that in mind, I'd rather go with a plug in piece than a mix of responsibilities and asking players to take on new, additional keys.

Definitely a fair point there. And of course, The Belichicks might have more faith in one of those plug-ins than we do, having seen them in practice. Maybe they feel like a Shaun Wade could come in and hold his own for half of Dugger's snaps, he just hasn't had the opportunity. It'll be interesting to see what they do (and we'll have to speculate how different it would have been had Dugger been available).

Hard to believe that was what BB wanted, optimally. I don't remember much about that game.

Williams has been benched from time to time, because his coverage skills are spotty.

I'm pretty sure Gesicki did very little in that game (might not have even had a catch? I can't remember), so it seemed pretty intentional to me. And Williams has struggled covering WRs, but with how big he is, a tight end is a better matchup for him physically.

Of course there's going to be exceptions, but putting a CB on a TE is not an ideal situation. It's not what a CB typically does.

Really depends on who the CB is and who the TE is. They used Talib a lot on Gonzalez, but then again Talib is big for a corner and Gonzalez plays more like a big WR.

It was the game plan from the outset. It is what BB wanted and he stuck to it for the whole game. Collins Jr. also has been assigned to man cover TEs in the past, which I have disliked and have posted my dislike multiple times, but still it was the plan repeatedly. It is one of the Pats many man/zone coverage schemes.

Definitely a fair point there. And of course, The Belichicks might have more faith in one of those plug-ins than we do, having seen them in practice. Maybe they feel like a Shaun Wade could come in and hold his own for half of Dugger's snaps, he just hasn't had the opportunity. It'll be interesting to see what they do (and we'll have to speculate how different it would have been had Dugger been available).

I'm pretty sure Gesicki did very little in that game (might not have even had a catch? I can't remember), so it seemed pretty intentional to me. And Williams has struggled covering WRs, but with how big he is, a tight end is a better matchup for him physically.

Really depends on who the CB is and who the TE is. They used Talib a lot on Gonzalez, but then again Talib is big for a corner and Gonzalez plays more like a big WR.
It was the game plan from the outset. It is what BB wanted and he stuck to it for the whole game. Collins Jr. also has been assigned to man cover TEs in the past, which I have disliked and have posted my dislike multiple times, but still it was the plan repeatedly. It is one of the Pats many man/zone coverage schemes.

I'm speaking more in the vein of what we've done this year which is to toggle between man and zone far more often than we've done in the past (if I understand right). This is mostly because of the versatility of Dugger who is a tweener. I'm just don't see it working as well if we divide up or mix responsibilities. We don't really have a CB who can legit cover a TE like Knox. Collins Jr. is best used on the inside. He is at his best when he keys off the QB.

This is all, of course, armchair speculation and gameplanning from me. I stand to be flat out wrong, but speculating off the top of my head is fun for me.

I'm speaking more in the vein of what we've done this year which is to toggle between man and zone far more often than we've done in the past (if I understand right). This is mostly because of the versatility of Dugger who is a tweener. I'm just don't see it working as well if we divide up or mix responsibilities. We don't really have a CB who can legit cover a TE like Knox. Collins Jr. is best used on the inside. He is at his best when he keys off the QB.

This is all, of course, armchair speculation and gameplanning from me. I stand to be flat out wrong, but speculating off the top of my head is fun for me.

Yes speculating is fun. I am only able to reflect on what was done - not great at predicting what will happen. In the past when there is one or two standout players BB has schemed specifically for them. In this case Diggs and Knox might qualify for that treatment, but I am not sure that Knox is that good considering the defense has to contain Allen. I think BB will stop Allen's running before worrying about Knox going off, so the man to man on Knox will be off the table and Knox will catch 3 or 4 balls.

Reactions: PP2
Fauic and the MSM

Serious question, no snark - do you understand what vaccine effectiveness means and how vaccines are designed to work?

Have at it man! Speculation is what makes these long weeks between games go by. And I'd also like to point out how awesome it is that we're talking about Kyle Dugger as this integral piece and have to debate how best to replace him. Given he was written off almost immediately by some as another head-scratching 2nd round DB, it's a lot of fun to see how much he's grown in just his second year.

All this talk about Knox who is a big concern. I'm more worried about Beasley. He's sneaky.

99%+ survival rate the end of the world.
It's actually somewhere between from 97-99% survival rates which puts potential fatality numbers somewhere between 76 million and 228 million if nothing were done to reduce risk of hospitalization and death.

Probably against my better judgment I'll respond to your nonsense one final time: The assumption posed in your last question is telltale. Frontline healthcare workers opting to bail on their jobs in lieu of getting getting vaccinated represent a minuscule number of outliers hardly worth mention, no doubt exaggerated by whatever information source you've bought into. It's not only irrelevant, the very notion defies basic medical common sense.

You have bought into harmful misinformation and half-truths fitting a subjectively predetermined political/cultural narrative. You're so entrenched in this simplistic virtual reality, the very nature of the questions you ask indicate no room for genuine openness or objectivity. It's all an agenda-driven quest for self-validation, reassurance that you're clever enough to have successfully navigated the vast web of diabolical conspiracies and alleged "MSM" brainwashing. Of course, none of this will change what or how you think, which is your misfortune.

You arrogance is noted. How many times has the bar been moved over the past 1 3/4 years? How many times have the 'experts' cahnged the Narrative. How Many times have the 'experts' spread misinformation?

You sheepish following of the changing narrative is pathetic.

Probably against my better judgment I'll respond to your nonsense one final time: The assumption posed in your last question is telltale. Frontline healthcare workers opting to bail on their jobs in lieu of getting getting vaccinated represent a minuscule number of outliers hardly worth mention, no doubt exaggerated by whatever information source you've bought into. It's not only irrelevant, the very notion defies basic medical common sense.

You have bought into harmful misinformation and half-truths fitting a subjectively predetermined political/cultural narrative. You're so entrenched in this simplistic virtual reality, the very nature of the questions you ask indicate no room for genuine openness or objectivity. It's all an agenda-driven quest for self-validation, reassurance that you're clever enough to have successfully navigated the vast web of diabolical conspiracies and alleged "MSM" brainwashing. Of course, none of this will change what or how you think, which is your misfortune.
Despite you covering your eyes and pretending the truth doesn’t exist, the health care worker shortage is real and extensive. New York is short thousands of nurses and this is despite a large contingent of traveling nurses brought in at excessive pay from other states.
Life and death surgeries are being postponed and having scheduling nightmares solely because of a nurse shortage. That is a fact I personally observed. It’s real. Calling it a conspiracy theory is ignorant and misinformed, but more likely just agenda based.

I guess Dugger gets to have a one week vacation because covid seems overblown. Every athlete seems asymptomatic. Rodgers is almost 40/ unvaccinated, and not a single person seemed concerned if he might end up on a ventilator or die. They only cared that he lied. I also think it is bs that Massachusetts has taken upon itself to make the flu shot required for schooling even though flu has been lower than ever with social distancing and quarantines. Sorry 4 the rant. I don't want to tempt fate etc but I am one of those blessed individuals that does not get sick. No pain pills and not even so much as a cough drop. So Covid and everything else in the medical field are pissing me off these days.

The dangers to people in an athletes age range plus the lack of comorbidities leaves pro athletes at essentially NO RISK. But the NFL and other pro sports leagues need to cvurry favor with legislators so they play along.

This thread is a sh!t show. Thanks to all of you scientists on the forum, I'm more confused than ever. Is Dugger playing or not? That's all that matters.

COVID should be a banned subject here on patsfans.com, IMO.

You arrogance is noted. How many times has the bar been moved over the past 1 3/4 years? How many times have the 'experts' cahnged the Narrative. How Many times have the 'experts' spread misinformation?

You sheepish following of the changing narrative is pathetic.

Certainly, common sense = arrogance in your book. The bar/narrative via medical experts naturally changes as circumstances and information change, occasionally getting something wrong is part of the landscape. You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater; well, maybe YOU do.

I'm over my self-imposed limit responding to your drek, bye.

I'm getting my booster jab 12/16.

I even get a lollipop afterwards....
I didn't have much of a reaction to the first two shots, but my booster put me in bed for the whole weekend.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back