PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye on target passing

Taking Harrison JR and Bo Nix is still intriguing.

IMG_2480.png

Josh Allen completed 56% of his passes in his 2 full seasons at Wyoming he would have been completely undraftable if you just went by numbers, who you're throwing to and who you are being protected by matters.

You can't just compare numbers in college like you can the NFL where everyone is professional and at least a good level, the levels between some programs in college is MASSIVE one guy could be throwing to 2 first round picks and have 3 NFL OL and another guy could be playing with 0 or 1 other draftable players.

We just did this with Mac Jones who had numbers and intangibles but just doesn't have the arm or athletic ability, take the guy with the talent things like bad footwork is a coachable flaw.

I mean clean pocket, seems like on target throws should be high, no?
Agree, but I'd like to see the # of ATTEMPTS. From what I have read, Maye was under pressure a lot last year. So, it might be a few attempts where he flat out missed...just because he was all like, "OMG, my WR is open...." and delivers a nano-second late...or with too much zip...

More from that link in the initial post. Many QBs lacked in college only to get it together in the pros. I'd imagine great wide receivers helps here.

Last edited:
Do not want this guy. He's Mac Jones disguised in baby blue

If he's the one left standing, trade back, collect picks. Let brisket drive the bus to a 2 win season so we pick 1 overall
Then draft who??? The 2025 QB draft class is trash. Sanders camp already said they'll pull an Eli Manning on any cold weather team that tries to draft him. Outside of that it looks like the Kenny Picket draft class in which he was the first QB taken and only one in the first round.

Then draft who??? The 2025 QB draft class is trash. Sanders camp already said they'll pull an Eli Manning on any cold weather team that tries to draft him. Outside of that it looks like the Kenny Picket draft class in which he was the first QB taken and only one in the first round.
I.Do.Not.Know. Which I have already said.

But do not draft him just because he becomes the only option. Might as well have kept Mac Jones if that's the case.

It's been said before. Some of it is footwork, per scouting reorts you can google. Those are fixable mechanics.

Also, a guy like Daniels had 2 WRs for whom every pass was catchable against college DBs. Those 2 WRs are expected to both be gone by the 20th pick of this draft.

On the other hand, Maye's pass catchers were usually not as good as their opponents. The pass will look like it's off target when your guys are blanketed and running wrong or ****ty routes. I'm actually impressed that Maye put up stats and became a hot, top-of-the-draft prospect as a QB with this handicap.

I could also just be digging at straws because I desperately want to believe.

Rolling an extra year or two with Brissett is better than wasting #3 overall on a bust. Because it does nothing to fill the need and you're out of a premium pick that could have been put to better use and a significant bit of cap space.

Last edited:
Josh Allen completed 56% of his passes in his 2 full seasons at Wyoming he would have been completely undraftable if you just went by numbers, who you're throwing to and who you are being protected by matters.

You can't just compare numbers in college like you can the NFL where everyone is professional and at least a good level, the levels between some programs in college is MASSIVE one guy could be throwing to 2 first round picks and have 3 NFL OL and another guy could be playing with 0 or 1 other draftable players.

We just did this with Mac Jones who had numbers and intangibles but just doesn't have the arm or athletic ability, take the guy with the talent things like bad footwork is a coachable flaw.
Well said

If the Pats traded down, or got Alt, then traded back up and got Penix Jr, I'd be dancing happy. I don't see him as any less risky than the others.

On a podcast I heard there was concern regarding how the Michigan Defensive game plan exposed his weaknesses.

It’s getting to the point the draft almost isn’t exciting for me. Each prospect being over analyzed has me worried for all of them and less enthused about whoever we select. Not that I want life to go by any faster than the warp speed pace at which it already travels, but I think I’m ready for the draft to get here and be over already. :):crying:
I'm with you.

I feel more than well-informed on players who if are drafted outside of the top 15 will most likely not succeed in the NFL.

Maye did an excellent job at the above. Saw him frequently move the OL to counter oncoming pressure. But then got pressured anyway because his OL sucked so he had to scramble.
Seems like good training for playing behind the Pats’ O line.

I'm no football scouting expert but this sounds a lot like subjective stats that don't translate to ****
You'd like the movie Moneyball: it's full of people who eschew advanced stats. How on target a QB is at various yardages and under certain conditions is valuable information. Kurt Warner and other guys watching film have called him out for inaccuracy. Some say it's fundamental footwork stuff that can be corrected. But watch Maye's film: you'll be wondering if he's worth the 3rd pick afterwards. He might be, but it depends if you think that sort of thing is fixable.

Bo Nix is the most accurate passer in this draft, but McCarthy is no slouch either.

All that said, it's only ONE axis of comparison, but surely a critical one for QB.

Last edited:
Do not want this guy. He's Mac Jones disguised in baby blue

If he's the one left standing, trade back, collect picks. Let brisket drive the bus to a 2 win season so we pick 1 overall
Mac was one of the most accurate passers in his draft class. Maye's accuracy is below average.
Mac is an unathletic pocket passer. Maye is essentially Josh Allen in terms of mobility.
Mac has a noodle arm. Maye has a rocket.
Mac could not handle pocket pressure. Maye had a porous line at UNC and thrived.

As players they couldn't be much more different. Is he Mac Jones in disguise because you think he'll bust?

I've said it a few times before this is going to be the most anticipated draft for Pats fans in a long time. Thank God it's next week so we can go from guessing to criticizing who they picked.

Mac was one of the most accurate passers in his draft class. Maye's accuracy is below average.
Mac is an unathletic pocket passer. Maye is essentially Josh Allen in terms of mobility.
Mac has a noodle arm. Maye has a rocket.
Mac could not handle pocket pressure. Maye had a porous line at UNC and thrived.

As players they couldn't be much more different. Is he Mac Jones in disguise because you think he'll bust?
Yup.

@Force Zero Boomer

where would Allen be without Brian Daboll? Without getting Diggs? He's erratic, and threw a lot of picks last year, more than Mac (though Mac played fewer games)... He still had the "coverage" on offense though, with Cook & Diggs there... now? we will see how good he is, unless Buffalo can manage to get him another elite target...

so while their game is different as you point out, both have gears that move between their ears slowly... least thats my perception of both of them...

Hope I'm wrong, cuz i think we are going to take him in the 3 spot.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back