PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shiny toys, shiny toys...it's silly season.

Now there's some merit to certain shiny toys (safety comes to mind) syndrome effecting the Pats, but overall they tend to stick to their script which is, based on how the others act, sticking to a board set up with a "best available" asset (whether player or draft picks).

I also think there's merit to Pats information warfare, such as the visits of guys they actually don't plan on taking (unless they fall REALLY far) until years later after some time in the league.

Phil Perry on one of the many draft shows that CNBC sports have done put together an interesting concept. He stayed at 23 and picked Vander Esh, then traded the 31 and a 6th and picked up a 3rd and 4th and the 36th pick. With that pick, he grabbed Kyle Lauletta.

Evidently, Lauletta, who came into the draft season as a mid-round pick has been shooting up draft boards. At any rate, Perry has a great thought with trading down with that 31st pick and filling in the gap the Pats have in the 4th and 5th rounds. Most players you get in the range of 20-40 will have about the same grades, so moving down 5-10 slots from 31 will get you a similar player

Interesting comparison in Lauletta with JG. Both were from Division 1AA schools. Both put up great stats in lower competition. Both have quick releases. Both were highly motivated, coachable, smart and hard working.

Right now my 2 Binkies are Marcus Davenport the DE from UTSA. Raw, with great length, size, and speed. MIght not make a huge impact THIS year but could be a real impact rusher going forward. My 2nd is Kyle Lauletta, mostly because I was coached by his grandfather in college, but also because he seems to fit what we like in QB's, and like Jimmy, after a couple of years to training, should be ready to take over in 2020.

I think Davenport is worth the 23rd pick, and I'd like to think Lauletta will last until the end of the 2nd round and take him with that pick.

At any rate, those are the 2 players I'm excited about in the early rounds.

Phil Perry on one of the many draft shows that CNBC sports have done put together an interesting concept. He stayed at 23 and picked Vander Esh, then traded the 31 and a 6th and picked up a 3rd and 4th and the 36th pick. With that pick, he grabbed Kyle Lauletta.

Evidently, Lauletta, who came into the draft season as a mid-round pick has been shooting up draft boards. At any rate, Perry has a great thought with trading down with that 31st pick and filling in the gap the Pats have in the 4th and 5th rounds. Most players you get in the range of 20-40 will have about the same grades, so moving down 5-10 slots from 31 will get you a similar player

Interesting comparison in Lauletta with JG. Both were from Division 1AA schools. Both put up great stats in lower competition. Both have quick releases. Both were highly motivated, coachable, smart and hard working.

Right now my 2 Binkies are Marcus Davenport the DE from UTSA. Raw, with great length, size, and speed. MIght not make a huge impact THIS year but could be a real impact rusher going forward. My 2nd is Kyle Lauletta, mostly because I was coached by his grandfather in college, but also because he seems to fit what we like in QB's, and like Jimmy, after a couple of years to training, should be ready to take over in 2020.

I think Davenport is worth the 23rd pick, and I'd like to think Lauletta will last until the end of the 2nd round and take him with that pick.

The first problem with Perry's scenario is that Indy owns the #36. Somehow, I can't see them trading with the Pats unless they're sending a bagful of some devastating disease.

The second problem is that the #31 is worth 600 points on the standard value chart. The #36 is worth 540. Throwing in a 3rd & 4th along with the #36 would skew that trade heavily in the Pats' favor. Indy would be giving up the #67 (255) + the #103 (88) plus the #36 - 883 total points - for a max of 612, even with the Pats' highest 6th added (#198 = 12).

I know that a lot of folks believe that the standard value chart is hopelessly out-of-date (it isn't), but it couldn't possibly be off by that much.

Now, if the Pats traded the #31, the #210 (7), AND the #63 (276 points), that would make way more sense mathematically (the Pats trading 883 for 883 from Indy). But, it's still Indy, so highly unlikely.

How does lauletta fit what we like in a QB? He has one of the weakest arms I’ve seen in a top QB prospect in the past ten years. Zero zip on his fastball for the short intermediate passes, and he has the worst deep ball in college football.

He makes chad Pennington’s arm strength look like Brett Farve

I'll preface this by saying I don't do any major in-depth research regarding draft prospects, just some general browsing. But with that being said, I'd hate if Perry's mock draft became a reality.

With all the team's holes, trading back only to reach a bit for a QB lottery ticket in Lauletta would irk me. Secondly, this isn't a great WR class from what I've read. Should a team with a very poor history in drafting WRs bother spending a 2nd rounder on one? Perhaps wait until the middle rounds. And lastly, does Vander Esch's lone productive season give pause to anyone else?

How does lauletta fit what we like in a QB? He has one of the weakest arms I’ve seen in a top QB prospect in the past ten years. Zero zip on his fastball for the short intermediate passes, and he has the worst deep ball in college football.

He makes chad Pennington’s arm strength look like Brett Farve
Mayock said his arm strength is good enough you strongly disagree.

I don’t see Davenport lasting until 23. Pats will have to trade up.

Last edited:
Not top 5 examples, but close:

He'd take the best 3-4 DE of his era (Seymour—6th)

He’d trade down (7th, then traded for 10th—Mayo)

Sup, There is a slim possibility he can get to Chubb.. If the Browns take a QB in the first (Allen) and the Giants trade with the Bills which makes sense
(The point value at @#2 is 2.600
Pick #12 is 1,200 and #22 is 780 for the3 Bills. So 1980 won't get it done.
I suppose of the Bills gave up their 2nd and both 3rds that would work but not really feasible knowing more players in this Draft are needed.
I could see pick #65 in the third and a 2nd in 2019 as possible from the Bills to the Giants.)

QB is a big "get" Ironically the Colts have turned down two Trades for Brissett.

So the Bills take Darnold?

The Jets take Rosen.....Why? Their QB situation is still shaky and Rosen can play now vs. the others. Mayfield and Darnold have more up side but Rosen can take snaps asap.

The Pats trade with Cleveland at #4......Ah Mayfield? Nope Bradley Chubb. Who holps them this year and next and ? Chubb.
Why? We need other holes filled. We can still do that.

How? 1,800 is the 4th pick trade value.
We have
#23=760
#31=600
#43=470

That is a net of 1,830

To be fair, the Browns have almost too many picks with this Trade so we get a fifth Rounder we don't have #150 back from the Browns at a value of 31 points...fair enough.

First Round
So Chubb at #4 forget the QB until later. A "blue chipper".

Next Pats Picks or Trades:

Second Round

#63=Martinas Rankins OT Miss St. (Voted Best LT in SEC in 2017)

Third Round

#95=Lauletta QB Richmond

Fifth Round
#150=Trade with Eagkes for OLB Mychal Kendricks (fast, NFL experienced, can cover we can afford his CAP. The Eagles need CAP room). Better player than any 5th Round LB

Sixth Round

#198=Jack Cichy LB Wisconsin-Top 50 value recovering from early ACL

=Trade with Broncos for QB Paxton Lynch. Misused in Denver. Better stats than big three QB's in Draft. Has NFL snaps and has won. Better back up than Hoyer. Young clay to mold for Josh. Competition for Lauletta. Better QB than Cassell with which BB won 11 games with. Worst case scenario , trade bait. Another first round pick BB reclamation project he likes. Fewer stops than Tebow when we got him. Conditional if he starts "x" games or snaps a 2019 4th to Denver. If not another 6th in 2019. Might be a steal that would really irk Elway.

Seventh Round

#219=Holton Hill CB. First round talent but knucklehead. Dope smoking is his god. A 6'3" CB with speed and great tackler.

Great haul. Would like a QB early but a waste of valuable pick

UDFA PROSPECTS?

Chad Kanoff QB Princeton (we have scouted)
Nick Keiser TE Grand Valley State.
Auden Tate WR Florida State (think bigger Anquan Bolden-same school) Falling fast.
Timon Parris OT Stony Brook
Javrious King CB South Carolina (Senior Bowl invitee) Good size.
Tajee Fullwood FS South Florida. Good size and great punt returner
Christian Sam LB AZ State

DW Toys

Its making me so upset that posters are mocking lauletta to the patriots...

Do people even bother watching the tapes?

I'll preface this by saying I don't do any major in-depth research regarding draft prospects, just some general browsing. But with that being said, I'd hate if Perry's mock draft became a reality.

With all the team's holes, trading back only to reach a bit for a QB lottery ticket in Lauletta would irk me. Secondly, this isn't a great WR class from what I've read. Should a team with a very poor history in drafting WRs bother spending a 2nd rounder on one? Perhaps wait until the middle rounds. And lastly, does Vander Esch's lone productive season give pause to anyone else?

The thing for me is that, although I've only really became aware of Lauletta's existence since he first started coming up in the "QB to the Pats?" a few months ago, my guess is that the Pats have been tracking him for at least a couple-three years. Probably the same with nearly all the QBs in this draft - perhaps dating back to high school for a couple of them.

I mean, the search for a Brady successor didn't just get re-kindled last October. The Pats have been on this for years,and it seems unlikely to me that they took a break from it just because Jimmy the G was in the house for awhile.

The point being that, if BB selects Lauletta - or Jackson, or Rudolph or Mike White or Chad Kanoff - it's because he's got a crap-tonne of info, years' worth, indicating that he's the best value candidate they're going to get out of this QB draft class. He might not turn out to be THE guy, but he won't be a mere "lottery ticket" either. They'll know exactly what they're getting.

WRT receivers ... what I've been reading is that the top of the class is not strong, but that there's a lot of quality depth that could produce numerous solid #2/#3 contributors. If BB does take a WR (relatively) early, I'm hoping it's Pettis - for his route-running, but also for his punt-return chops.

LVE and Mike Hughes strike me as similar prospects in the sense that they look good on paper and look the part on tape - but there's not very much tape. BB takes "flyers" (high-risk/high-reward) in the 2nd round, although it's usually for prospects who've had a lot more production but also a significant injury history. I'd consider both of these guys to be "flyers" of a different sort. If the need for an ILB/MLB type who can be productive almost immediately didn't seem so great, LVE might be worth a 2nd. A cornerback who can be a relatively immediate contributor doesn't feel like such a dire need, so maybe that works in Hughes' favor. OTOH, there may be other CBs available a bit later than the 2nd who could also develop by the time they're needed.

Short answer: Yes, LVE's lack of length of productivity gives me pause. Kinda reminds me of Troy Niklas - possibly oversold "potential".

Jimmy is better than his score shows.

Sup, There is a slim possibility he can get to Chubb.. If the Browns take a QB in the first (Allen) and the Giants trade with the Bills which makes sense
(The point value at @#2 is 2.600
Pick #12 is 1,200 and #22 is 780 for the3 Bills. So 1980 won't get it done.
I suppose of the Bills gave up their 2nd and both 3rds that would work but not really feasible knowing more players in this Draft are needed.
I could see pick #65 in the third and a 2nd in 2019 as possible from the Bills to the Giants.)

QB is a big "get" Ironically the Colts have turned down two Trades for Brissett.

So the Bills take Darnold?

The Jets take Rosen.....Why? Their QB situation is still shaky and Rosen can play now vs. the others. Mayfield and Darnold have more up side but Rosen can take snaps asap.

The Pats trade with Cleveland at #4......Ah Mayfield? Nope Bradley Chubb. Who holps them this year and next and ? Chubb.
Why? We need other holes filled. We can still do that.

How? 1,800 is the 4th pick trade value.
We have
#23=760
#31=600
#43=470

That is a net of 1,830

To be fair, the Browns have almost too many picks with this Trade so we get a fifth Rounder we don't have #150 back from the Browns at a value of 31 points...fair enough.

First Round
So Chubb at #4 forget the QB until later. A "blue chipper".

Next Pats Picks or Trades:

Second Round

#63=Martinas Rankins OT Miss St. (Voted Best LT in SEC in 2017)

Third Round

#95=Lauletta QB Richmond

Fifth Round
#150=Trade with Eagkes for OLB Mychal Kendricks (fast, NFL experienced, can cover we can afford his CAP. The Eagles need CAP room). Better player than any 5th Round LB

Sixth Round

#198=Jack Cichy LB Wisconsin-Top 50 value recovering from early ACL

=Trade with Broncos for QB Paxton Lynch. Misused in Denver. Better stats than big three QB's in Draft. Has NFL snaps and has won. Better back up than Hoyer. Young clay to mold for Josh. Competition for Lauletta. Better QB than Cassell with which BB won 11 games with. Worst case scenario , trade bait. Another first round pick BB reclamation project he likes. Fewer stops than Tebow when we got him. Conditional if he starts "x" games or snaps a 2019 4th to Denver. If not another 6th in 2019. Might be a steal that would really irk Elway.

Seventh Round

#219=Holton Hill CB. First round talent but knucklehead. Dope smoking is his god. A 6'3" CB with speed and great tackler.

Great haul. Would like a QB early but a waste of valuable pick

UDFA PROSPECTS?

Chad Kanoff QB Princeton (we have scouted)
Nick Keiser TE Grand Valley State.
Auden Tate WR Florida State (think bigger Anquan Bolden-same school) Falling fast.
Timon Parris OT Stony Brook
Javrious King CB South Carolina (Senior Bowl invitee) Good size.
Tajee Fullwood FS South Florida. Good size and great punt returner
Christian Sam LB AZ State

DW Toys
Dude Ive been thinking something like this
Love to get my hands on lynch.
Canoff and Kyle Allen would be great gets.

Holton based on talent shouldnt go past third or fourth round.
Expect Seattle all over him.

I also wouldn’t mind moving our last 2nd rounder for a 3rd and a 4th. 100 pick gap between our 3rd and 6th rounder.
I’m not too worried about that, due to having 5 picks in the top 95 selections. We still have the same number of picks, they’re just better. I’m guessing that he’ll pick up a 5th rounder or something. Who knows?

I’m not too worried about that, due to having 5 picks in the top 95 selections. We still have the same number of picks, they’re just better. I’m guessing that he’ll pick up a 5th rounder or something. Who knows?

Agreed.whilst as an avid draft watcher, the first half of Saturday will be hellishly boring as things stand, it seems to me that having picks in rounds 1-3 is eminently more preferable than rounds 4-5. Still, if they can trade back, get the same quality and make my day three more interesting I won’t object.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back