PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft: Justin Fields confirms that he has epilepsy

I worked with a kid that had severe epilepsy. I was working as a construction laborer at the time.
I had to pick him up and give him a ride to work every day because he couldn't drive.
One morning he had a bloody nose. Couldn't tell me why. Didn't know. Had obviously passed out and fell over.
You could be talking to him and he would go blank, just stare for a moment, then come back. He had no idea he went blank.
He got a job working for a siding company. Scary thought, him working on scaffolding.

Terrible thing. He was a big, strong kid, but he couldn't drive a car and obviously had trouble holding a job.

Damnit. The Pats couldn't at least float cocaine usage like teams did with Marino back in the day? If he falls to 15 then I'm guessing Pats trade back a couple spots and draft Hightowers eventual replacement. I highly doubt they take an offensive skill player first round. Then again it would be peak Bill to draft a RB and say heres your offensive skill player now shut up.

Then again it would be peak Bill to draft a RB and say heres your offensive skill player now shut up.

I sure hope not the only RBs BB has drafted in round 1 are Laurence Maroney and Sony Michel!! His track record with 1st round RBs is pretty bad.

This year's draft has no RB worthy of the #15 pick and even if it did, I would wait till round 3 or 4 since Damien Harris is more than capable of handling #1 RB role.

If the Patriots don't move up for a QB they will probably go defense. If Jaycee Horn or Patrick Surtain are still on the board at #15, I think that would be the pick as Gilmore won't be around much longer and JC Jackson is just playing on the tender for one year.

Julius Caesar had epilepsy. Yet, he conquered Gaul, bedded Cleopatra, and turned Rome into an empire as dictator. And that was two thousand years ago without modern medicine.

We just need Fields to throw a football and run. ;)

I knew it. Pats' PR machine is in gear. Quietly in the background, eroding at his perceived value. Love it.

we just need a New England osteopathic neurologist to chime in and put out there how challenging it can be for an NFL quarterback who is suffering from epilepsy.

There are a lot of different levels of epilepsy, from very mild and easy to manage (nothing to worry about), to much more severe. That this kid had a great college career with no obvious problems bodes well for him. It's not like he is playing a sport where there is frequent brain injury or anything.

How can you give up 2 future 1's and not be sure which player you're going to pick?
Because like the patriots they have a major hole at Qb that is holding them back from contending and they know there are at least 3 (yesterday they said all 5) that they are confident have the skill set that they can make a commitment to develop.
That’s how you solve a deficiency. You identify prospects find out the price, pay ot and take responsibility to coach the player up. If you aren’t confident in doing that you probably should t be running a team.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back