PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft: Justin Fields confirms that he has epilepsy

So what’s this really mean? Isn’t that kind of a problem with flashing colors and stuff? Kinda hard to see how it’ll be a problem as it relates to football but, I don’t know much about it.

If Fields falls to #15 this is a no brainer to take the kid.

Before all the draft politicking and draft smearing, this kid was basically called a taller Russell Wilson. Elite elite passing accuracy and a 4.4 40. He's what Madden Michael Vick was supposed to be....

So what’s this really mean? Isn’t that kind of a problem with flashing colors and stuff? Kinda hard to see how it’ll be a problem as it relates to football but, I don’t know much about it.
Sure, strobing lights can be a seizure trigger. So can weigh fluctuations, sleep deprivation, stress, alcohol consumption, missed med doses, co-morbid conditions, low blood sugar, and on and on. It's really varies by person.

And breakthrough seizures can also happen, even if a person is well regulated on medication. It's a risk but entirely manageable.

Maybe it makes Justin Fields’ draft stock fall, maybe it doesn’t, but I wouldn’t let it be a deterrent to drafting him. Alan Faneca had a HOF career in the NFL while being treated for epilepsy. Fields should be fine as long as he’s managing it with his doctor.

Exacerbation of pre-existing epilepsy by mild head injury​

So raises concussion risk, perhaps significantly.

Maybe it makes Justin Fields’ draft stock fall, maybe it doesn’t, but I wouldn’t let it be a deterrent to drafting him. Alan Faneca had a HOF career in the NFL while being treated for epilepsy. Fields should be fine as long as he’s managing it with his doctor.
His draft stock will fall. Folks talked about trading 2 #1's and 2 #2's (or close for the #4 pick whether for Lance or Fields. I can't see teams trading multiple top picks for Fields now.

Also, I think that we can put the first three picks in PEN.

An epic read fail by me. I totally was thinking narcolepsy. I was like how in the hell is he going to play football. Dude just falls asleep in the huddle or at the LOS talk about a **** ton of delay of game penalties.

But even with that there is no danger to himself playing football?

It would shocking if he doesn’t drop and even taken off of many teams boards.

This is a condition not to be taken lightly.

Stay away before this announcement and stay away now.

Even if he drops.

Dude is another Vince Young.

Epilepsy is usually well-managed medically, these days, other than severe cases.

Some people swear by cannibis therapy, though....

I bet he slides out of rd 1 now. Which sucks for him.

I had the same exact thought lol... The drafting team needing to manage his condition should ding his draft stock a bit, but he's still extremely good. I would think a team like NE can find a way to work around it. I'd still be perfectly happy with them taking him at #15 if he does fall or even moving up a bit... really almost a perfect storm between anonymous scouts confusingly knocking his work ethic a couple weeks ago and now this. The conspiracy theorist part of me is definitely tripped on this one.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back