PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dolphins to hire OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo

The coach is partially responsible for ensuring his player's success on the field.

Making sure the players are prepared is one aspect of it.

BB can't do everything, but is responsible...which is why he fired him.

Seeing that Tom has been a QB in the NFL since the Stone Age, I'm pretty sure he knew what to do.

The rest of the line did not.

Thats on Googs
So you are blaming the OL and the OL coach for the snap count?

Because of no other reason that you want to.

What is the rest of the OL supposed to do?

So you are blaming the OL and the OL coach for the snap count?

Because of no other reason that you want to.

What is the rest of the OL supposed to do?

You just keep refusing to admit there was a TELL (by continuing to say snap count being always identical is the only possible way a tell could exist).

Not sure why, other than obstinance. Many (most?)other viewers believe Den had a jump. Are you truly arguing they were simply just faster at the snap???

yep

I blamed BB too for hiring him. I'm sure JMD had a hand in it but its on Googs for the line to play well.

I don't know what you mean? They had a ton of injuries but he did a lousy job of mentoring and getting them to improve
We are taking about the snap count and people saying it was the OL
coaches fault because they the TRIGGER is telegraphing the snap and that's the OL coaches fault.

As far as how he did? Up and down. He did a very good job in 14. In 15 he was straddled with a ridiculous amount of injuries but that OL played as well over the course of that season as this years is. So do we say Dante sucks now?

You just keep refusing to admit there was a TELL (by continuing to say snap count being always identical is the only possible way a tell could exist).

Not sure why, other than obstinance. Many (most?)other viewers believe Den had a jump. Are you truly arguing they were simply just faster at the snap???
Maybe you can explain how you think a silent snap count works.
Maybe you can further explain how the snap count being called the same very often would be the OL coaches fault.
Do you think the OL coach calls the snap count?
If it were verbal and it was always on 1 is that the OL coaches fault.

Me obstinate? I described in great detail how this works and how the OL coach isn't the person responsible for the snap count even if one of his players signals trigger. If the trigger were the QB raising his leg (which the OL couldn't see so that's why it isn't) then whose fault is it if the snap is always on 1?

Maybe you can explain how you think the silent snap count works so I can understand where you are missing this.

Good luck to him. Hard to have any ill will for a guy who played a significant role on a title-winning team. I mean, I hope he fails hard for as long as he's with the Dolphins, but maybe failing upward.

We are taking about the snap count and people saying it was the OL
coaches fault because they the TRIGGER is telegraphing the snap and that's the OL coaches fault.

If the player is falling into a bad habit, or doing something that is negatively impacting the team, then it is the coach's job to correct it.

For all we know, BB, JMD, Ernie picked this up in practice, told Googs to fix it and he didn't.

As far as how he did? Up and down. He did a very good job in 14. In 15 he was straddled with a ridiculous amount of injuries but that OL played as well over the course of that season as this years is. So do we say Dante sucks now?

Dante just might suck now. The guy is 103.

Not only that but look how he was not able to reach Cannon and let him regress into a human turnstile with very bad technique. This was not a Denver issue but once our quick passing game went the way of the Dodo it really exposed the OL of being unable to keep Brady upright at the end of the regular season.
Good thing none of these issues have resurfaced this year!

And typically if BB is happy with how you are doing...you don't get fired.

tenor.gif
That's not why he was allowed to walk. That the AFCCG just happened and Brady got hit 20 times had absolutely nothing to do with it. That is mere coincidence.

If the player is falling into a bad habit, or doing something that is negatively impacting the team, then it is the coach's job to correct it.
What bad habit are you referring to?

The offensive game plan called for stork to raise his head when he was ready. THEN a silent snap count would follow before he snapped the ball.
How do you correct the center raising his head when he is ready when THAT is what triggers the snap count.
A TRIGGER gives away nothing. Having the same snap count does though.

For all we know, BB, JMD, Ernie picked this up in practice, told Googs to fix it and he didn't.

Fix what? Please explain specifically exactly what you expect to correct.

If it were a verbal snap count and Brady said SET HUT and snapped in 1 every play what would you correct? Stork raising his head is "SET" the snap count called in the huddle says how long to wait to snap

Dante just might suck now. The guy is 103.
Oh boy.

That's not why he was allowed to walk. That the AFCCG just happened and Brady got hit 20 times had absolutely nothing to do with it. That is mere coincidence.
I think the play of the OL had a lot to do with it. I think the decimation from injuries would have bought him more time but he just didn't fit in with the staff.

I KNOW that he wasn't fired because he was the coach if the player they designated to raise his head to trigger the silent snap count.

Maybe you can explain how you think a silent snap count works.

Maybe you can explain how you think the silent snap count works so I can understand where you are missing this.

Last post on the theme from me cause I've seen this movie before. Psychologists use the word "fixation" to describe your behavior. So I know this will be lost on you ( I suspect on purpose). But for the sake of other readers:

The silent count is a multi part PROCESS that is part of a LARGER PROCESS (the play call-initiation). And I will continue to insist that SOMEWHERE in that process (and tied to the Stork bob), Denver got a tell.

You can continue to rant about ONLY two steps involved (the trigger (bob) and the delay (count)) and ignore the fact that there are exactly 10 more moving pieces and other relationships and timing while continue claiming we are all dumb.

I choose to disagree and leave it at that and let the reader decide for themselves.

Have a good one man, I go in peace!

Last post on the theme from me cause I've seen this movie before. Psychologists use the word "fixation" to describe your behavior. So I know this will be lost on you ( I suspect on purpose). But for the sake of other readers:
I'm sorry if you would just prefer I accept your incorrect opinions.

The silent count is a multi part PROCESS that is part of a LARGER PROCESS (the play call-initiation). And I will continue to insist that SOMEWHERE in that process (and tied to the Stork bob), Denver got a tell.
This conversation was about storks head bob giving away the snap. You are now answering that maybe there is something that happened that you don't know and cannot identify

You can continue to rant about ONLY two steps involved (the trigger (bob) and the delay (count)) and ignore the fact that there are exactly 10 more moving pieces and other relationships and timing while continue claiming we are all dumb.
I haven't said anyone is dumb.
I said the head bob is the trigger and their is a silent count after that. Therefore THE HEAD BOB ISNT TIPPING ANYTHING. This is basically me stating fact.
If you want to show me that something else tipped the snap that's fine, but you have to at least have a guess.

The argument was stork lifts his head and then snaps. That is a function of the snap count.

If you are introducing a new theory then that can. E discussed.

I choose to disagree and leave it at that and let the reader decide for themselves.

Have a good one man, I go in peace!
You don't even disagree. You just want to and you can't even say what you disagree with.

My points
1) raising the head is the trigger
2) there is a silent snap count after the trigger
3) if raising the head is a trigger to the defense, tipping them off to get a jump, then the problem is the snap count.
4) the snap count called on the play is not the OL Coaches responsibility.

These are pretty much irrefutable but if you disagree please tell "the reader" which point you dispute.

I think the play of the OL had a lot to do with it. I think the decimation from injuries would have bought him more time but he just didn't fit in with the staff.

I KNOW that he wasn't fired because he was the coach if the player they designated to raise his head to trigger the silent snap count.
AFC Championship: January 24, 2016
Googe fired: January 25, 2016

Mere coincidence that he was fired one day after the team lost the game because the franchise absorbed 20 hits due to the fact that the Broncos were jumping the snap count. One had absolutely nothing to do with the other. No way.

AFC Championship: January 24, 2016
Googe fired: January 25, 2016

Mere coincidence that he was fired one day after the team lost the game because the franchise absorbed 20 hits due to the fact that the Broncos were jumping the snap count. One had absolutely nothing to do with the other. No way.
Well he was "fired" the day his contract ran out, so there really isn't s coincidence involved.
I am not disputing he should have been fired. This discussion was that he was fired BECAUSE OF STORK HEAD BOBBING. And that just can't be the case.
You played football you understand how a silent snap count works.

What bad habit are you referring to?

I was speaking in general terms. We can use bad technique for the sake of the discussion.

The offensive game plan called for stork to raise his head when he was ready. THEN a silent snap count would follow before he snapped the ball.
How do you correct the center raising his head when he is ready when THAT is what triggers the snap count.
A TRIGGER gives away nothing. Having the same snap count does though.

Fix what? Please explain specifically exactly what you expect to correct.

If it were a verbal snap count and Brady said SET HUT and snapped in 1 every play what would you correct? Stork raising his head is "SET" the snap count called in the huddle says how long to wait to snap

I understand the head bob as the trigger. That is only part of the operation. As you know there is more to it such as changing up the silent count AFTER the head trigger. That was obviously something they did not do well.

That was a bad joke

I understand the head bob as the trigger. That is only part of the operation. As you know there is more to it such as changing up the silent count AFTER the head trigger. That was obviously something they did not do well.
Well this has been EXACTLY my point.
You can't blame the head bob when we understand there is a snap count called independently on each play which in and of itself is supposed to eliminate any chance the head bop is a top off.

So, we come back to his is it the OL coaches fault? He isn't responsible for the snap count.

I think there is a love on this board of X = bad (in this case Degooglymoogly) so therefore everything about X must be bad. Then it follows that when I point out no matter what he is blaming him for tipping the snap count because if the head bob TRIGGER is wrong that I get a bunch of but, but, but OL coach sucked.

I have not uttered a word that defended the job he did or portrayed him as a good coach. I am simply saying that this creation that stork was responsible for the purported tip of the snap is factual wrong and essentially impossible.

Well this has been EXACTLY my point.
You can't blame the head bob when we understand there is a snap count called independently on each play which in and of itself is supposed to eliminate any chance the head bop is a top off.

So, we come back to his is it the OL coaches fault? He isn't responsible for the snap count.

I think there is a love on this board of X = bad (in this case Degooglymoogly) so therefore everything about X must be bad. Then it follows that when I point out no matter what he is blaming him for tipping the snap count because if the head bob TRIGGER is wrong that I get a bunch of but, but, but OL coach sucked.

I have not uttered a word that defended the job he did or portrayed him as a good coach. I am simply saying that this creation that stork was responsible for the purported tip of the snap is factual wrong and essentially impossible.

Agree. The matter surrounding the dismissal of Googs goes beyond Stork pecking corn. But to be specific, one of the major criticisms was the line's inability to venture beyond a count of "0" after he bobbed his head. I just watched a couple of drives from that game. In the shotgun after TB stomped or under center and he tapped his butt, once Stork bobbed his head it was a zero-count snap. No 1-MS, or 2-MS or 3-MS. He hiked it and DEN knew it.

Now, you can argue the line was banged up and did not have the cohesiveness to pull off lengthy silent counts with 85,000 screaming fans. I get that but this organization has a high standard and in years past with new players on the line it was not an issue. That year it was and not getting the line to play the way they needed to be prepared in that game. That is on BB but is on Googs as well.

In the middle of the season, Googs speculated to someone he thought he was going to be fired...but why did he think that? Clearly he knew he wasn't doing something right and he knew it or BB made him aware of it.

Last edited:

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Back