PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dolphins to hire OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo

As much as I want to laugh at this and **** on Googs, there's not a ton of evidence that he was the reason we won in 2014 or didn't win in 2015.

The problem in 2015 was the injuries, and the training staff was in fact overhauled after that season. Obviously, there was some issue with this guy because he only lasted 2 years, but I can't genuinely knock him for 2015 when it didn't even go that badly on his end.

Ok, but if 30,000 joe avg fans (like me) were all saying in the FIRST FREAKING QUARTER that the Center's head dip was giving away the snap count to Von Miller; HOW THE FREAK did a trained professional not identify that and coach it up AT SOME FARGING POINT BEFORE THEY LOST THE AFCCG????

Sorry, but that one offense seems unforgivable and trumps any 9 months of good coaching he might possibly have done (insert skeptical sneer here)

Also, IIRC some of the injuries were somewhat attributed to his strategy of moving guys around like they were cookie cutter checker pieces ( playing at unfamiliar position-moving wrong ways)

Ok, but if 30,000 joe avg fans (like me) were all saying in the FIRST FREAKING QUARTER that the Center's head dip was giving away the snap count to Von Miller; HOW THE FREAK did a trained professional not identify that and coach it up AT SOME FARGING POINT BEFORE THEY LOST THE AFCCG????

Sorry, but that one offense seems unforgivable and trumps any 9 months of good coaching he might possibly have done (insert skeptical sneer here)

Also, IIRC some of the injuries were somewhat attributed to his strategy of moving guys around like they were cookie cutter checker pieces ( playing at unfamiliar position-moving wrong ways)

Yeah the Stork thing was crazy bad. Probably got him fired just on the merits of that alone.

We won a super bowl with him so there is nothing but respect here and looking at our line now when our fast attacking offense isn't prevalent we are having the same protection problems.

Not only that but look how he was not able to reach Cannon and let him regress into a human turnstile with very bad technique. This was not a Denver issue but once our quick passing game went the way of the Dodo it really exposed the OL of being unable to keep Brady upright at the end of the regular season.
Yep. The decision to stretch him out as a G was friggan stupid.

If what Matt Light said was true and that the Denver's Defense keyed off of Storks head bobbing how in the hell did that continue all game? That's my only knock on Googs.
Bad coaching. Bad self scouting. Bad game prep.

Bad. Bad. Bad.

Sorry but not making the SB is on Googs.

While I don't think Scar is a miracle worker if he coached that line they would have won the SB

If what Matt Light said was true and that the Denver's Defense keyed off of Storks head bobbing how in the hell did that continue all game? That's my only knock on Googs.
This has been debunked many times.

Bad coaching. Bad self scouting. Bad game prep.

Bad. Bad. Bad.

Sorry but not making the SB is on Googs.

While I don't think Scar is a miracle worker if he coached that line they would have won the SB
If you are blaming not making the SB in the head bob and snap count McDaniels belichick and Brady are who you should be targeting not the OL coach.

This has been debunked many times.

Not arguing but have never heard it debunked. I did hear an interview with Matt Light. What did you hear? Just curious.

Not arguing but have never heard it debunked. I did hear an interview with Matt Light. What did you hear? Just curious.
First light didn't blame the OL coach.

The head bob is the silent snap trigger and then a silent snap count (i.e. 1000 1, 1000 2 etc) is used.
If (which wasn't the case) they used the same silent count every play that's in whoever is calling the snap count which certainly isn't the OL coach

We won a Super Bowl with the guy as our O line coach..nuff said

The head bob is the silent snap trigger and then a silent snap count (i.e. 1000 1, 1000 2 etc) is used.
If (which wasn't the case) they used the same silent count every play that's in whoever is calling the snap count which certainly isn't the OL coach

Just to be clear. I didn't say Matt blamed it on the coach. I said that Matt said that " Stork was keying off Denver's defense with his head bobs." and I wondered how did that go on for the entire game without being corrected.

If you are blaming not making the SB in the head bob and snap count McDaniels belichick and Brady are who you should be targeting not the OL coach.
I can see Brady having opportunity to catch that (when not scanning the field/defence), but Googs has to take blame over Belichick and McDaniels. Part of the reason people are expected to "do your job" is so other people can do theirs. In delegating work you have to trust people, mainly because it takes away from your own efficiencies in your tasks if you are second guessing the work of the delegated person, and then double checking that work, etc. Googs' job was the line. He had one job.

All in all, lots of blame to go around for that. WhyTF Andrew's picked that day to start head-bobbing is beyond me.

Last edited:

Or maybe I'm wrong if this is true.

We won a Super Bowl with the guy as our O line coach..nuff said

Or, more likely, we won it despite him being OL coach. He didnt have to do **** in his first year as even Stork was a player the retired Scar reportedly signed off on before the draft. He inherited an working OL and had no major injures to work around. All he needed to do is maintenance.

When Connolly and Wendell didnt return for 2015 and Solder was lost after the Cowboys game it was all downhill. Especially after the quick passing game was dead and couldnt hide the protection issues anymore down the line. Anyone remember the glorious stretch @Jets and @Dolphins were we couldnt even run the most basic offense ? Yeah great coaching it was..

I can argue DeGuglielmo cost us a SuperBowl in 2015.

Or Bradys turnover. Or Ghosts miss. Or Collins inability to cover Owen ****ing Daniels despite being this amazing athlete.

Point being there were breakdowns on all levels that would have made a difference in the AFCCG. Difficult to blame a specific person for that loss.

Point being there were breakdowns on all levels that would have made a difference in the AFCCG. Difficult to blame a specific person for that loss.

Well I just did. And it's Googs. So did BB. BB fired Googs instead of OL or others that you mentioned.

Last edited:
That's one example of Googs crappy coaching

Well I just did. And it's Googs. So did BB. BB fired Googs instead of OL or others that you mentioned.

Yeah then as so often you are just clueless. He would have been gone even if we had won the SB that year.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back