PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the Pats go big and trade away a lot of draft picks for Watson or Wilson now?

Plan is to trade up. Team built for Cam start and rookie QB. The Wilson, JAG, whatever vet QB dream is out. Why? Philosophy is to use cap $ on multiple players and a cheap rookie QB contract that enables this approach.
Big risk if can't trade up or they do trade up and land a stiff.

Plan is to trade up. Team built for Cam start and rookie QB. The Wilson, JAG, whatever vet QB dream is out. Why? Philosophy is to use cap $ on multiple players and a cheap rookie QB contract that enables this approach.
Big risk if can't trade up or they do trade up and land a stiff.
Agree.

I think plan A is a top rookie QB.

Plan B is Jimmy.

I haven’t had Watson on the radar at all, but after these moves and listening to Zo & Bertrand this morning, I was intrigued if this could really happen.

I don’t think so, but it’s interesting to consider.

I rarely listen to Sports radio anymore, but I tuned in today and found Zo & Bertrand’s show interesting for the most part.

But now it’s on to Felger & Mazz, so let the negative hot takes begin. Don’t know if I’ll be able to take listening to the whole show.

so, would the Pats have enough under the cap to take Watsons cap hit? Does not seem like a BB type move but he might be gearing up for a last run.

I think Bill wants to prove that if you give him enough talent at other positions he can win with an average quarterback. I'm not faulting him. It's like Brady wanting to prove he could win with multiple teams like Manning did and win without Bill.

My hope is if, and only if, they're certain Lance, Fields or Wilson is a can't miss and they fall a little they go get them at 10 or 11 before the 49ers grab the last of the big 4 at twelfth. I think Bill intends to roll with Cam. Maybe he brings in a Mariotta or Dalton on a similar deal to Cam's where the winner of the starting job can grab the incentives. I tend to doubt it though because if whoever wins isn't lighting it up he knows the media will bombard him much worse than with Stidham last year.
I don't think that BB or TB wanted to prove anything. Both have always wanted to win. BB thought that TB would stay, was wrong and they both ended up being in the situation they're in.

Maybe he's not available or isn't what the Pats want, but one QB that interests me and doesn't get much attention is Gardner Minshew.

unless wilson is good with playing for 25 mil a year it aint happening

From what I have seen/read Russell Wilson's main difference with Pete Carroll is that the Seahawks don't wan't his input into how to run the offense. That was also one of Brady's main differences with BB. If BB didn't want Brady's input, I really don't think he is going wan't to get pointers from Wilson about what they should do.

With the money they splashed. it's unlikely the Pats can afford a veteran star QB under the salary cap. Trade up for a rookie QB seems like the most likely move if BB goes for QB this year in the draft. But hey if BB can land Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson, I'm all aboard that train. Although if we go that route, the vet QB would have to immediately renegotiate their contract to squeeze in under that cap.

Honestly BB seems committed to Cam Newton for 21. For better or for worse. Ugh. But Cam will have more weapons than he's ever had in New England.

From what I have seen/read Russell Wilson's main difference with Pete Carroll is that the Seahawks don't wan't his input into how to run the offense. That was also one of Brady's main differences with BB. If BB didn't want Brady's input, I really don't think he is going wan't to get pointers from Wilson about what they should do.
Idk who put this narrative out other than Bruce Arians but I seriously don't think that BB did not want Brady's input. It might've been that Brady maybe was offering too much input maybe in other areas of the team and not staying in his lane but I doubt it was some complete shutout of him

I thought about this after the Henry signing and now they are talking about this on 98.5. Now that the Pats have restocked the cupboards and added four receiving weapons for a QB, do the Pats get really aggressive and package 3 first rounders and some other good picks in hopes to trade for Watson or Wilson? It will take a lot of draft capital especially since they don't have a top 5 or top 10 pick this year like some of the other teams trying to get one of those guys.

It is probably a pipe dream that anyone trades for Watson or Wilson, but now the Pats are really just a franchise QB away from being a Super Bowl contender for the next two to three years at least. Do they mortgage the future to get that QB? The Pats would have to give up a lot to get one of them for sure.
Nope. Wilson really isn’t in the market, and Caserio would get run out of town in five seconds if he dealt Watson to NE.

Idk who put this narrative out other than Bruce Arians but I seriously don't think that BB did not want Brady's input. It might've been that Brady maybe was offering too much input maybe in other areas of the team and not staying in his lane but I doubt it was some complete shutout of him
Idk know the particulars either about Brady, obviously. But it doesn't seem like what Wilson wants would fit in Foxborough.

Idk know the particulars either about Brady, obviously. But it doesn't seem like what Wilson wants would fit in Foxborough.

Wilson may reconsider since BB's way works...and Pete Carroll's doesn't. Part of Wilson's thinking might be "hey, I want to give some input since whatever you're doing is not working..." In NE, he knows it's going to work out if he just listens and plays.

This was my thought. That they are signing all these free agents because they want to put themselves in a position to package their picks and move up in the draft to take a QB high in round 1. I hope this is the plan and I hope it's successful.

Patriots are operating in Free agency as if they are about to have a QB on a rookie contract for 4 years. See Kansas City and Seattle in their superbowl years.....

it almost seems like they are addressing all these items in Free agency because they expect that they are going to use significant draft capital to trade up.

I still think Jimmy Garoppolo is an option as well. But the patriots aren't going to plan for him to be available this year because San Fran really has no incentive to release him this year yet. his dead cap hit is even less next offseason. So, if they really wanted to go into the season with Jimmy G and Trubisky and see who works out they could as well and Jimmy G will be out there next year.

Patriots are operating in Free agency as if they are about to have a QB on a rookie contract for 4 years. See Kansas City and Seattle in their superbowl years.....

it almost seems like they are addressing all these items in Free agency because they expect that they are going to use significant draft capital to trade up.

I still think Jimmy Garoppolo is an option as well. But the patriots aren't going to plan for him to be available this year because San Fran really has no incentive to release him this year yet. his dead cap hit is even less next offseason. So, if they really wanted to go into the season with Jimmy G and Trubisky and see who works out they could as well and Jimmy G will be out there next year.
That's my thinking as well, makes sense especially if one slides.

This is exactly what Daniel Jeremiah thinks the Pats are up to...

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back