PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the Pats go big and trade away a lot of draft picks for Watson or Wilson now?

Ignoring that every year is a win now season for BB, I don't really see the acquisitions as win now moves. Just upgrades... except in our case pretty substantial ones.

Win now kinda implies to me that you are leveraging the future with some contracts that have voidable years and all those shenanigans.
I agree. We had a ton of holes. I would not call many of these signings elite or "all in" type moves. They were more foundational because we had so little talent on the roster. We also had the money to spend. Our offensive weapons are not in the same zip code as the Bills, Chiefs especially with Cam as our QB but at least we are resetting which is what all of us wanted to have happen. If we can hit on the QB sooner rather than later than this will be a much shorter rebuild.

In other circumstances, I’d agree with that but the 9ers aren’t budging right now and I think the 15th pick would move them off their spot. With the amount of weapons you added, you need a good QB so they don’t waste away. There’s no way you should be having a bridge year at QB with the talent you’ve added.

The 49ers are only letting Jimmy go if they have a viable alternative. But Garoppolo isn't worth the 15th pick in any circumstance. He has too much of an injury history and too high a salary and not enough production. If the 49ers want the 15th pick for Garoppolo, then Belichick she be looking to trade up for Trey Lance or Mac Jones. Because that is way too much for him him.

If they can afford it with the cap.. it makes more sense to me to trade for Watson/Wilson than to use the same picks to move up for a guy that could be the next Haskins.

Bills old. Life is short. Do it.
Thats an interesting take. BB is pushing 70, maybe he wants to go out with one more shot at a SB.

I don’t think they are going to have enough money left for those guys.

I’m guessing a trade up in the draft. Lance would make sense in that his running will fit this new power offense and is a similar style to Cam. He’s inexperienced so it would benefit him by learning behind Cam for a year or until he surpasses him.

They’d have to give up a lot draft capital, maybe a future first and this year’s #15 pick plus perhaps more. But then they’ll have their QB on a rookie contract on a loaded team.

The Pats have a lot of cap space next year even after these deals. They can rework either guy's salary to make them fit.

Starting a rookie QB in the Super Bowl is not optimal.

If they were going for an established QB, Rodgers should be it. GB already has a QB on the roster.

Dude would be super motivated to prove coaching has held him back.

I'm implying they are spending a **** ton of money on free agents and have no intention of building for 2022.

They spend the money because they have the money and a team full of holes.

If they end up trading away the next 2-3 drafts for Watson and the Texans for whatever inexplicable reason agree to that then it would turn everything into "win now" as it wouldn't be possible to get a drafted pipeline going for another 3-4 years.

But as we stand I see no reason to think this isn't business as usual just with a bigger checkbook.

Absolutely ****ing not. They still need depth. Trade up for either Wilson (if he slides), Lance, or Jones.
This. 100% this. Spend the stimmy checks on the rest of the roster and get a rook in here.

I thought about this after the Henry signing and now they are talking about this on 98.5. Now that the Pats have restocked the cupboards and added four receiving weapons for a QB, do the Pats get really aggressive and package 3 first rounders and some other good picks in hopes to trade for Watson or Wilson? It will take a lot of draft capital especially since they don't have a top 5 or top 10 pick this year like some of the other teams trying to get one of those guys.

It is probably a pipe dream that anyone trades for Watson or Wilson, but now the Pats are really just a franchise QB away from being a Super Bowl contender for the next two to three years at least. Do they mortgage the future to get that QB? The Pats would have to give up a lot to get one of them for sure.
Goddamn I'll bust a nut if we land Russell Wilson.

Hmm, maybe they trade way DOWN for Wilson instead of up...
??? You mean Jones? Wilson is not likely to even get past the Jete. Jones might not get to 15 either.

Wilson, Russell...
Ah. I got you. I’m still good. I’m thinking the team is, too. They’re approaching FA and the salary cap as if they’re planning on having a QB on a rookie salary for a few years.

The Pats have a lot of cap space next year even after these deals. They can rework either guy's salary to make them fit.

It's amazing that people still think this is by chance.

2021 has been in the works since 2018. Hard to imagine people couldn't figure this out.

None of this is out of character for Belichick. Hes pretty much always spent up to the cap. Just happened to have a ton of space for once combined with an unusual amount of holes.
Unlike last year, Im really looking forward to this season

None of this is out of character for Belichick. Hes pretty much always spent up to the cap. Just happened to have a ton of space for once combined with an unusual amount of holes.
Unlike last year, Im really looking forward to this season

"Holes" and CAP space work together in a well run outfit.

Sending off mammoth draft capital for an "elite QB" seems a little bananas considering they had one. And emptying the cupboards for years isn't appealing either (no interest in Watson anyway). If it's not JG it's a rookie, I'm fine either way. Cam would be a bit depressing, but I suppose he'd be fine for a year if they get the right rookie.

Sending off mammoth draft capital for an "elite QB" seems a little bananas considering they had one. And emptying the cupboards for years isn't appealing either (no interest in Watson anyway). If it's not JG it's a rookie, I'm fine either way. Cam would be a bit depressing, but I suppose he'd be fine for a year if they get the right rookie.
« they had one »
Brady wanted to move on. Belichick and Brady for along for 20 years - unheard of. The relationship is over. It’s over and Brady left.

the cupboard for Watson, as his age, is a whole other story. Not advocating, just stating that Brady was leaving. Regardless.

They spend the money because they have the money and a team full of holes.

If they end up trading away the next 2-3 drafts for Watson and the Texans for whatever inexplicable reason agree to that then it would turn everything into "win now" as it wouldn't be possible to get a drafted pipeline going for another 3-4 years.

But as we stand I see no reason to think this isn't business as usual just with a bigger checkbook.
You are not understanding my point.

Focusing on fielding a championship-caliber team ASAP does not mean they are simultaneously mortgaging the future.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back