PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the Pats go big and trade away a lot of draft picks for Watson or Wilson now?

Not saying it’ll happen, but does BB not attending pro days mean those picks are not going to be NE’s by April ?

« they had one »
Brady wanted to move on. Belichick and Brady for along for 20 years - unheard of. The relationship is over. It’s over and Brady left.

the cupboard for Watson, as his age, is a whole other story. Not advocating, just stating that Brady was leaving. Regardless.
Couple things.

First, I've got no problem with Brady being gone...20 years was very satisfying. The objective sports fan in me actually thinks what happened last year and what's happening now--Brady winning with another team, Belichick rebuilding--is more fascinating than another couple of years of Brady on the team.

Having said that, from what I've seen & read over the years, I don't agree with the flat, "Brady wanted to move on." If Belichick had accommodated Brady's wish for multi-year contract, I suspect Brady would still be here. By all accounts, the Pats didn't make any real effort to keep him.

Again, I'm fine with the way it turned out.

I think Bill wants to prove that if you give him enough talent at other positions he can win with an average quarterback. I'm not faulting him. It's like Brady wanting to prove he could win with multiple teams like Manning did and win without Bill.

My hope is if, and only if, they're certain Lance, Fields or Wilson is a can't miss and they fall a little they go get them at 10 or 11 before the 49ers grab the last of the big 4 at twelfth. I think Bill intends to roll with Cam. Maybe he brings in a Mariotta or Dalton on a similar deal to Cam's where the winner of the starting job can grab the incentives. I tend to doubt it though because if whoever wins isn't lighting it up he knows the media will bombard him much worse than with Stidham last year.

You are not understanding my point.

Focusing on fielding a championship-caliber team ASAP does not mean they are simultaneously mortgaging the future.
This is the beauty of it! they are young and will not be a problem cap wise in the futur with the cap expending. This team is a QB away. Cam Newton could be the difference between a great and a bad season.

I don’t think we have enough draft capital for Wilson or Watson, plus the fact both Bill and Kraft have stated numerous times one player cannot take that high a % of the cap.

Teams like the Dolphins or Jets with 2 picks in the 1st (both teams inside the top 5) would be able to give a better haul then we could. If Seattle or Houston make the trade they want a high pick to take their replacement QB.

This is the beauty of it! they are young and will not be a problem cap wise in the futur with the cap expending. This team is a QB away. Cam Newton could be the difference between a great and a bad season.
They are not going to be bad with Cam Newton at QB. Too much talent surrounding him on offense and defense.

With that said they sure as hell aren't winning the SB with him either.

I would take Wilson in a hearbeat over Watson. But Id be very happy with Watson. This is crazy talk! Or is it?
Wilson would thrive here with BB, Josh and the 2 TE + strong run offense. A good OL would set him up to win a ring. He's clutch.
Not. Gonna. Happen.
Just as likely I'll make the cut for the Dear Moon flight, but a guy can dream...

Road grader OL
Multi dimensional TEs
Dual threat RBs

Bill appears to be building a play action reliant offense similar to Tennessee. (Cleveland too)

Just need a play action competent QB

Is that Jimmy G waving frantically off in the distance?

Truthfully, I can envision Mac Jones running this offense assuming the NE running game crushes it

Last edited:
At this stage, I'd trade a Hershel Walker type package to get a Wilson or a Watson. But the Hershel Walker trade happened pre salary cap. The reason Belichick is able to spend this kind of coin this aggressively is because the starting QB is essentially playing on a rookie contract wage.

Belichick has gone all in on contending without elite QB play. It can be done in the modern game, we've seen it from Flacco, both Mannings and Foles. It nearly happened with Garoppolo.

All signs npw point to a QB bring drafted.

Nah, I think we trade waaayy up to the top 5 and target one of Fields/Wilson/Lance.

Watson and Wilson would just blow up our cap.....we want a rookie on a rookie deal....sit the kid behind Cam to hoild a clip board for a year...

as much as i think they might move up for Qb3 or QB4, i think they might wait and get someone like mond or trask or mills later......all of them need development, and all of them have boom/bust potential with intriguing skillsets

the top QB's after Lawrence can be won with in short term in the right situation.....this is win in year 2-3, and it can be done, and i think that rookie contract is part of it......this isn't JUST win in year 2/3, but in 4 & 5 & 6

Do not believe that PatsFans will ever see Watson or Wilson in a Pats Uniform.. IMO they are going after a 1st round QB and may use some of their draft capital to make a move up the board.. Trey Lance maybe, but more likely Mac Jones may be their target.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back