PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty: "I wouldn't mind........"

borg

Pro Bowl Player
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
“I wouldn’t mind a lot of these guys quarterbacking my team. I’ll start off by saying I wouldn’t mind seeing my guy Cam Newton come back,” Devin said, as transcribed by WEEI’s Ryan Hannable. “I thought he had a tough [situation] coming in — no offseason, no anything. [He] played in a Super Bowl and won a MVP.”

Patriots news: Cam Newton to return? New England veteran speaks out (clutchpoints.com)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ted Johnson was on 98.5 this afternoon doing his weekend show and mentioned this McCourty statement, and TJ's take on this was......
McCourty is a team first/Bill guy and the team captain's public sentiments are likely Bill's as well

On that note.....

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind Cam back either. Imagine a guy like Cam mentoring Mac Jones. I sincerely think that would give Jones a great start to his career.

I wouldn't mind Cam back either. Imagine a guy like Cam mentoring Mac Jones. I sincerely think that would give Jones a great start to his career.
Disagree. While mentoring is nice, hes still gonna play if he returns until someone beats him out or the rook is ready. I want nothing doing with Cam being on next years roster. We tried it. It didn't work as far as production goes.

Disagree. While mentoring is nice, hes still gonna play if he returns until someone beats him out or the rook is ready. I want nothing doing with Cam being on next years roster. We tried it. It didn't work as far as production goes.

Well I agree that the production wasn't there. But there's still a part of me that wonders what Cam would have looked like without Covid and with a preseason.

Even if the production stayed the same Cam's leadership seems infectious. I think it would benefit any rookie.

Joe Montana won 4 SB’s and won 2 MVP’s.

Why not get him then? :rolleyes:

Newton back is by far the worst possible option. The team is unwatchable with him at QB, the team can’t contend for anything and he’s anything but the future of the Pats.

I don’t mind a losing season when it’s done by playing youngsters and making sure they get experience, so they can be ready for the future. A has-been that can’t read a defense, can’t pass for more than 10 yards without looking like he’s throwing a shot-put and having no hopes for making the playoffs is what really sucks.

Off season or no off season, the guy can’t accurately throw the football, he showed that game after game. It’s time to move on and look ahead to the future.

When I see posts like the OPs it makes me hope that Cam doesn't come back even if offered because this fan base truly took for granted what he tried to do for them last year. It makes me hope that NE never finds a replacement and they slowly become the Jets for the next 20 years. Ungrateful.

Off season or no off season, the guy can’t accurately throw the football, he showed that game after game. It’s time to move on and look ahead to the future.
Completed almost 66% of his passes with no TE to throw to and Damiere Byrd/Jakobi Meyers as his main WRs. Stafford didn't even want to come to this team because of how bad of shape the offense is in. Your boy Brady bailed on you guys because of how bad this offense is. Edleman (The only threat on this terrible offense) got hurt after putting up THE BEST NUMBERS OF HIS CAREER with Cam Newton NOT Tom Brady at Qb and then he was hurt the rest of the year after that game in week 2. Then Cam got Covid. I mean what did you guys honestly expect? 4k yards and 30 TDs? TO WHO? It's like listening to a bunch of elementary school children talk about football on this board. Really sad.

Last edited:
Completed almost 66% of his passes with no TE to throw to and Damiere Byrd/Jakobi Meyers as his main WRs. Stafford didn't even want to come to this team because of how bad of shape the offense is in. Edleman (The only threat on this terrible offense) got hurt after putting up THE BEST NUMBERS OF HIS CAREER with Cam Newton NOT Tom Brady at Qb was hurt the rest of the year. I mean what did you guys honestly expect? 4k yards and 30 TDs?
Please I don’t care if it was a 166 completion rate. I don’t need numbers or percentages to tell me the guy sucked at the position. No team I don’t care who your pass catchers are is winning a championship with Cam as their qb.

Please I don’t care if it was a 166 completion rate. I don’t need numbers or percentages to tell me the guy sucked at the position. No team I don’t care who your pass catchers are is winning a championship with Cam as their qb.
I mean that obviously goes against what you are saying though right? The dude threw the ball 368 times. Meaning his margin for error is a lot smaller than guys who threw for over 500+ times. Still completed 66% of his passes, meaning you are wrong.

But yea it's Cam's fault for trying to carry this garbage team. His bad. Good luck with being the jets for the next 20 years and to think you're already this salty! Just wait until the REAL losing starts

Well I agree that the production wasn't there. But there's still a part of me that wonders what Cam would have looked like without Covid and with a preseason.

Even if the production stayed the same Cam's leadership seems infectious. I think it would benefit any rookie.
I thought he played well the first month of the season. At that time, many here thought it would be a no brainer to offer him a contract extension.

Then he got COVID and was awful after returning. I’d like to understand why. His throwing motion, footwork, and ability to see the field went to crap.
I wouldn’t mind keeping him on a short, small contract and drafting a QB in the first round.

Completed almost 66% of his passes with no TE to throw to and Damiere Byrd/Jakobi Meyers as his main WRs. Stafford didn't even want to come to this team because of how bad of shape the offense is in. Your boy Brady bailed on you guys because of how bad this offense is. Edleman (The only threat on this terrible offense) got hurt after putting up THE BEST NUMBERS OF HIS CAREER with Cam Newton NOT Tom Brady at Qb and then he was hurt the rest of the year after that game in week 2. Then Cam got Covid. I mean what did you guys honestly expect? 4k yards and 30 TDs? TO WHO? It's like listening to a bunch of elementary school children talk about football on this board. Really sad.
8 games with less than 20 pass attempts... Cam isnt the answer. Never was. Never will be. Just a guy they took a flyer on when the options were limited

Did Brady leave due to the roster? Maybe. But the decision was made before the draft, before free agency... so basically you are full of siht...

go troll somewhere else

Last edited:
Nope we got pretty much what we expected at the position paying our starter a million plus incentives. The first two games gave me some hope but that arm is shot. This isn’t the Cam 5 years ago. Injuries have taken their toll.

I thought he played well the first month of the season. At that time, many here thought it would be a no brainer to offer him a contract extension.

Then he got COVID and was awful after returning. I’d like to understand why. His throwing motion, footwork, and ability to see the field went to crap.
I wouldn’t mind keeping him on a short, small contract and drafting a QB in the first round.
He had two bad games after he got Covid in which he threw for under 100 yards and threw 50% of his INTs on the season. The beginning of the year he also had Edleman which made teams still respect the passing game. After he went down and no viable threat the TE position the offense was getting exposed and everything fell on Cam's shoulders to carry the team to the postseason. He wasn't able to do it and it is what it is but there's no way in hell it's 100% Cam's fault as to why the 2020 NE Patriots sucked.

Nope we got pretty much what we expected at the position paying our starter a million plus incentives. The first two games gave me some hope but that arm is shot. This isn’t the Cam 5 years ago. Injuries have taken their toll.
I don't believe the arm is shot as much as he legit had no one to throw too for 80% of the year. This is legit the most talent deficient offense in the NFL and it isn't close. And the fan base is expecting the Qb to make a gourmet meal while shopping for ingredients at McDonalds it just isn't going to happen

I want Cam to stay because Mac is Cam spelled backwards and the simpletons (like the ones in the BB vs TB threads) will have all kinds of fun with that irrelevant fact.

Teach him how to suck? Teach him how to lack any semblance of understanding a passing game? Teach him how to lack any pocket awareness at all? Teach him how to make terrible decisions?
Drafting a QB who will learn under a transition guy would be one of the strongest reasons to make sure that slug isn’t back here.

I don't believe the arm is shot as much as he legit had no one to throw too for 80% of the year. This is legit the most talent deficient offense in the NFL and it isn't close. And the fan base is expecting the Qb to make a gourmet meal while shopping for ingredients at McDonalds it just isn't going to happen
So explain to me how the supporting cast causes a QB to bounce the ball 6 feet short of an open receiver. Explain to me how supporting cast caused him to throw the ball directly into a rusher who was right in his face. Explain to me his the supporting cast led to him almost never escaping a rush buying time and completing a pass.
he was the worst qb in the nfl and would have been regardless of who is duooortj g cast was. Put him on any of the other 31 teams and he stinks there too.

I mean that obviously goes against what you are saying though right? The dude threw the ball 368 times. Meaning his margin for error is a lot smaller than guys who threw for over 500+ times. Still completed 66% of his passes, meaning you are wrong.

But yea it's Cam's fault for trying to carry this garbage team. His bad. Good luck with being the jets for the next 20 years and to think you're already this salty! Just wait until the REAL losing starts
Thanks for your input Mrs Newton.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back