PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dennard arrested for DUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes of course the period always goes inside quotes. That's something we all learned in 3rd grade. I edited my post and misunderstood what he was saying. Thanks for the clarification. You saved me some embarassment since that I was scanning the posts and misread it.

I'll stay out of the grammar police game....but damn whoever started it in this forum today :)

Not all of us learned it ;)

I usually stay out of these things as well.

By the way, it's "whomever."

Just kidding!

Sooooooo, back on topic...

As much as it would pain me to lose Dennard, I am not convinced he is the automatic starter at RCB. If Dowling makes it through the pre-season without injury, I still think he might be the top talent. In a perfect world, a Talib/Dowling/Dennard trio on the outside is excellent depth. Please, PLEASE keep Arrington on the inside where he is actually good.

So someone on probation arrested without cause as you state goes to jail? NFW not if he has a judge or lawyer minimally competent. You can't just go "arrest" someone on probation and get their jail time imposed.

Actually, PWP--that is really up to his probation officer and the judge who originally sentenced him to probation in the first place. They are the ones who ultimately decide, but in many cases they allow the process to play out to the fullest.

This is also why many defendants do not accept a guilty plea at the pre-trial conference though, despite some of the "good offers" they may receive.

If they accept the plea bargain, they are admitting to their guilt, which then often gets their probation violated.

I don't know what's going to happen to Dennard in this instance, but my guess is that he'll have to fully fight it throughout the whole process and at trial. Of course we may find out in the end that the original judge from the fighting case is willing to extend either/both of the 30 day jail sentence and/or the 2 yr probation sentence once he's found guilty.

But the answer to your question is that YES--sometimes the probation officer and/or judge will place a detainer on the defendant prior to seeing the process out., meaning there is no bail available until further down the line--if at all. Of course most of the time that happens it is due to having "serious" charges, or multiple offenses. I wouldn't personally expect that to happen in this case, and if it did Dennard's lawyers would be appealing it right and left...but it does happen in certain situations, but they are mostly to scumbags who immediately go out and commit the same offenses of their past or are obviously not serious about following their guidelines set forth by the court.

Not all of us learned it ;)

I usually stay out of these things as well.

By the way, it's "whomever."

Just kidding!

Actually, you may be correct about "whomever" instead of "whoever."

Now I'm on probation too :cool:

I'll stay out of the grammar police game....but damn whoever started it in this forum today :)

I don't know about you all but I often times use either my iPhone or iPad with tapatalk. So I don't generally check my grammar like I would in a professional document or something along those lines. I do my best to be educated and clear with my posts but I'm sure the grammar police would have a field day with my posts just the same.

If they find issue with your posts I'd be looking at a Hernandez sentence in grammar prison.

I don't know about you all but I often times use either my iPhone or iPad with tapatalk. So I don't generally check my grammar like I would in a professional document or something along those lines. I do my best to be educated and clear with my posts but I'm sure the grammar police would have a field day with my posts just the same.

If they find issue with your posts I'd be looking at a Hernandez sentence in grammar prison.

Me too buddy, me too.

Yes, I scan and post too quickly sometimes, so I would assume that's what happens to most of us.

I blame the Ravens fan. I think he started this today :eek:

The only other side of things would be the old conspiracy theory where he pissed off the Lincoln, Nebraska cops for his past mistakes. I suppose we'll eventually find out what happened (maybe).

Or, you know, driving while black

Actually, PWP--that is really up to his probation officer and the judge who originally sentenced him to probation in the first place. They are the ones who ultimately decide, but in many cases they allow the process to play out to the fullest.

This is also why many defendants do not accept a guilty plea at the pre-trial conference though, despite some of the "good offers" they may receive.

If they accept the plea bargain, they are admitting to their guilt, which then often gets their probation violated.

I don't know what's going to happen to Dennard in this instance, but my guess is that he'll have to fully fight it throughout the whole process and at trial. Of course we may find out in the end that the original judge from the fighting case is willing to extend either/both of the 30 day jail sentence and/or the 2 yr probation sentence once he's found guilty.

But the answer to your question is that YES--sometimes the probation officer and/or judge will place a detainer on the defendant prior to seeing the process out., meaning there is no bail available until further down the line--if at all. Of course most of the time that happens it is due to having "serious" charges, or multiple offenses. I wouldn't personally expect that to happen in this case, and if it did Dennard's lawyers would be appealing it right and left...but it does happen in certain situations, but they are mostly to scumbags who immediately go out and commit the same offenses of their past or are obviously not serious about following their guidelines set forth by the court.

Generally what occurs is the probation officer will issue a violation of probation charge. That charge generally can be added to the current docket, however they also do have the option hold you as long as 60 days pending a hearing before the judge. Given that Dennard has not even been arraigned yet I'd say that it would be added to his docket if they were to violate him at all.

Should they add it to his docket and he is found guilty he'd either have his probation extended or serve up to 60 days for the violation.

I am not sure if this charge violates the terms of his surrender agreement for 2014, but if it does he could be forced to serve his 30 day sentence immediately.

Re: Re: Dennard arrested for DUI

Yes of course the period always goes inside quotes. That's something we all learned in 3rd grade. I edited my post and misunderstood what he was saying. Thanks for the clarification. You saved me some embarassment since that I was scanning the posts and misread it.

That would be the grammar police...puny?

Me too buddy, me too.

Yes, I scan and post too quickly sometimes, so I would assume that's what happens to most of us.

I blame the Ravens fan. I think he started this today :eek:

Me three. That's why I do not understand the grammar/spelling police people. It just opens up that person to the rest of us pointing out his mistakes. And in this format, we all type so quickly that mistakes are going to happen more often than not. I actually love jumping in when the police action starts though!:D

.....................:p
grammarpolice.jpg

I wouldn't assume he's right. There's a reason DUI defense attorneys tell you not to take the breathalyzer test.

Anyhow, refusing to take the test isn't a crime. However, since the privilege of having a valid driver's license requires that you consent to such tests, your license will be administratively suspended (i.e. no need for any court proceedings) for the refusal. But that's not even close to the same thing as a crime.

For the record, this is not close to correct. It is a crime in Nebraska, as pretty much everywhere, to refuse a breathalyzer test. Not just a charge. And not just evidence. It's a separate actual crime, for which you can be punished with the same punishments as DUI. It is not DUI. It's separate from DUI, but it's a crime. The prosecutor need not even charge, let alone attempt to prove, DUI in order to have you convicted for refusal to take a breathalyzer. He can charge and try to prove both. But he doesn't have to.

You guys are confusing two separate but related concepts -- implied consent and a "crime." The point of implied consent is that once you agree to get your license and get behind the wheel, an officer no longer needs separate consent from you to test you. So, any constitutional arguments you might have had -- like your right not to incriminate yourself -- are out the window, since consent negates the constitutional protection. It's much like the consent you give when you try to cross the border. While typically you cannot be searched without a warrant or probable cause under the constitution, when you voluntarily attempt to cross the border, you are giving implied consent to be searched. Same with military bases.

In some of these contexts, you can actually be forced to submit to a search -- that is, you can be forceably restrained and searched. Most states do not go this far on DUI, because testing for DUI is more invasive than a pat down. Indeed, blood tests are extremely invasive, both because they involve needles and because a person's blood reveals all sorts of stuff about them. Accordingly, under the law of most states, you have a right to refuse to be tested. But the refusal comes with a very heavy cost -- the refusal is, indeed, itself a separate crime. All the prosecutor needs to show to prove you guilty of the crime of refusal to be tested is that (1) you gave implied consent (e.g., you applied for a license and were behind the wheel, and (2) you refused testing. Some states like Nebraska also require the prosecutor to show a third element -- that you were warned that refusal to participate is a crime.

In addition, you can also be charged with DUI separately which would be a second count. In this case, since you weren't tested, they can't use test results against you, but can prove intoxication by other methods just like any crime. Also, the fact that you refused to be tested is admissible in most states to prove the separate crime of DUI.

Anyway, here's the Nebraska statute that makes it a crime to refuse to submit to testing -- it's subsection (3). Nebraska Legislature

I didn't start it. I just thought that posts 451 and 453 (both preceding my first post in the thread) were pretty funny in an ironic sort of way. I don't want to wear the grammar police badge and was just trying to have little fun, is all.

Oh, and embarassment (sic) has two r's...JUST KIDDING!

I have a cousin around my age, in our teens he was constantly getting himself in trouble. He stupidly threw a big bolder size rock through the window of the police station. He was 16 at the time and that being just a malicious destruction of property charge it only resulted in minimal probation, however the cops followed him, questioned him for every possible thing that they could, I remember once he was giving me a ride home from work going 30 mph in a 35 mph speed zone, it took 5 cruisers and an appearance from the chief of police in my city to write him a 75 dollar speeding ticket. Needless to say by 18 years old he was serving a 2.5 year sentence, when he got out his parents had moved from Mass to NH so he never came back to our hometown and also has never been arrested since. It's been 9+ years. I learned if the cops get a hard on for you eventually they will get you for something it's only a matter of time.

As to cop avoidance, I'm gonna write an iPhone Ap tied to GPS that warns drivers away from all Dunkin Donuts, etc. locations

Generally what occurs is the probation officer will issue a violation of probation charge. That charge generally can be added to the current docket, however they also do have the option hold you as long as 60 days pending a hearing before the judge. Given that Dennard has not even been arraigned yet I'd say that it would be added to his docket if they were to violate him at all.

Should they add it to his docket and he is found guilty he'd either have his probation extended or serve up to 60 days for the violation.

I am not sure if this charge violates the terms of his surrender agreement for 2014, but if it does he could be forced to serve his 30 day sentence immediately.

In Pennsylvania, probation violation is a completely seperate charge, and usually isn't resolved until the eventual outcome of the "new" charge. There is no bail set.

Therefore one can in theory, sit in jail for however long it takes to eventually get to the bottom of the "new" charge. Now in probation violations where there is not a new charge and a technical violation occurs (failing drug tests, not following the terms of the probation guidelines, etc) there is a 2 step process referred to as a GAGNON 1 (before the probation hearing oficer to determine sufficient cause), and GAGNON 2 (going before the actual judge who holds the right to your probation).

That can often take a lot of time, and we see people sit down in the jail on detainers for 4-6 months--sometimes longer. I actually witnessed a case where one of the county judges became pregnant and all of her VOP (violations of probation) cases were pushed back of their eventual outcome until she returned from maternity leave. Talk about an injustice!!

I believe every state has their own rules though, so you very well may be correct about the 60 day hold and/or even including it on the current docket sheet (although I've never personally heard of that myself). There are even states who actually allow you to post bail when charged with a probation violation, although I don't believe that they are too common.

In Dennard's case, I would expect them to allow the process to be played out and then the VOP to occur if/when he's found guilty, although I'm not too familiar with Nebraska's protocol either--but I'd assume it to be like most of the other states.

Please chill, it's just DUI

This is a common occurrence in the THOUSANDS on a daily basis in the USA. He didn't get caught with crack in his back pocket or kill anyone did he?

Take his license away for a period of time the same way they do other citizens and he will learn the lesson of being a rich young man, having to get a lift from a buddy to work in the morning instead of rollin' up himself in a merc or whatever flashy ride he drives. Trust me that is a LESSON right there and he won't do it again.

Honestly if the Pats cut this fast rising STUD at corner then Bill and Kraft have lost the plot. You don't cut someone of Dennard's talent (who was a late 1st/early 2nd steal in the 7TH ROUND) for a silly incident like this.

Re: Please chill, it's just DUI

Well, it's a DUI a couple months after being sentenced to 30 days in jail for a prior alcohol related crime.

I think it's fairly safe to say at this point that Dennard has a serious drinking problem. Drinking is certainly interfering with his day to day life.

The guy has a problem with alcohol. He needs treatment, which he'll have plenty of time for once Jetdell is done handing out his suspension.

Cut him? Well, I think there will be a meeting or two, and I suspect that the direction of those meetings will probably have a palpable effect on what happens to ol' Fonz.

I hope we don't have any such person on the forum, but the statement "just DUI" could offend a lot of people considering how many lives have been affected by impaired drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes