Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should QBs get to throw the ball any way they like it?

• Yes

Votes: 82 70.1%
  • No the ball should be one way for everybody

Votes: 35 29.9%

• Total voters
All I can say is that witch hunts always find witches. I can't believe that Goodell with his mediots are going to stir up this pot of crap and say never mind. He would look more ridiculous than he did in handling Ricegate. Remember he has to do something about the Jets tampering and the Ravens lying and the doped up owner of the Colts. The only way this gets stopped is Kraft wraps his arms around BB and Brady and stands up to the POS and the media. Don't hold your breath on that happening.

Even CNN is awaiting on Brady's PC! WTF is the world coming to?

CNN and HuffingtonPost are off my list. Forever.

You could see them turning into rags over the last couple of years. Now they're no better than Faux or the other garbage main-stream networks out there.

He didnt expect this backlash I think.Especially, are you a cheater question when the league officially has not said anything. I put this all on the league. The leaked the news. Made the media bay for blood and are themselves quiet.
Also people do realize that BB had a much different type of press conference.

I think it depends on how optimistic one may be, and when it comes to NFL investigations involving the NEP, I am not nearly as optimistic as you may be.

If they wished to sweep it under the rug, it's now been 4 1/2 days of straight bashing the Patriots, and there's really been ZERO talk about the league's biggest game next week, which is actually an awfully good matchup. They certainly could've wrapped it up on Wednesday, or at the very least, today.

There's no way that the league wishes for this to take the attn off of the Super Bowl, which makes me wonder if the investigation is just going to take longer than expected? I'm hoping for a resolution by Monday or Tuesday.
As per peter king this will happen beyond the SB. Like in bountygate the league went through emails and phone records to find issues so he thinks they will do the same to check everything.

I think this "review" language is interesting. You review a process, particularly a failed process. To my mind you'd never use the word review when looking into deliberate wrongdoing.

Who exactly, used the word "review" rather than "investigation?" Are they important enough to matter? Is there any possibility that we're reading too much into the different wording?

Those would be my main questions. If it's really how you're explaining it to be, then I would also be just as relieved as you--with the slight concern for the above questions still.

As per peter king this will happen beyond the SB. Like in bountygate the league went through emails and phone records to find issues so he thinks they will do the same to check everything.

I originally felt the same, that there would be little resolution prior to the SB.

That said, there has been an official league spokesman (Troy Vincent) who stated on Tuesday that it'd be "2 to 3 days," as of Tuesday afternoon.

I also believe that the league wants to stop this from being the main focus. No one is even talking about the SB anymore, and that's not good for anyone.

Who exactly, used the word "review" rather than "investigation?" Are they important enough to matter? Is there any possibility that we're reading too much into the different wording?

Those would be my main questions. If it's really how you're explaining it to be, then I would also be just as relieved as you--with the slight concern for the above questions still.
Aiello or however you spell it. He's with the league.

I've been reading every report out there trying to piece together what happened. Here's my two cents that seems to fit all of the actual reported facts:
  • I think that the Pats submitted balls under 12.5 psi pregame for inspection. THIS is NOT a violation: a team could submit completely deflated balls and the only thing you could accuse them of is wasting the ref's time as the refs properly fill them.
  • They refs are supposed to use a gauge to check the psi, but it's already been reported by an ex ball attendant on NBC News (here) that in his experience the refs rarely used the gauges and just squeezed the balls to make sure they were okay. Using this "procedure" last Sunday night, the refs incorrectly approved the (under inflated) balls and sent them back to the Pats (again not a violation or any misdoing on the Pat's part)
  • Why did the Pats submit under inflated balls? Who knows, maybe the equipment guys says "Screw it. Why should I waste time and worry about the psi since the refs will make sure they meet the regs by adding or remove air anyway" (see A. Rodgers comment that the refs often alter the balls pregame). Or maybe he says the same thing that the NBC ball attendant said in the article referenced above which was "Let's get the balls exactly the way we want them, and if the refs reject one or two before the game, no big deal. But there's no harm giving them our ideal balls and hoping they make it through inspection." (again no NFL rules violation)
  • Once the issue came up on field, the refs had no choice but to use the gauges to check the balls at halftime and found them to be under inflated (Of course they were! They'd been submitted that way and not corrected by the refs pregame)
I don’t believe any of the above translates to a rules violation by the Patriots as it was the refs who failed to do their job pregame.

In my mind, this scenario most logically fits all the actual facts and it answers the biggest question people are asking: How did the Pats deflate that many balls so precisely without anyone noticing? Answer: They didn't, the balls were already low when they got them back from the official after the pregame inspection.

It also explains the Colts accusations that the Pats balls felt lighter when they played at Lucas Oil Stadium in November. They WERE lighter....because the refs approved them pregame without measuring with a gauge!

Finally, it satisfies the " most logical answer is usually the correct one" rule. It wasn’t a big, multi-level conspiracy, it was simple human error made by refs trying to get things done quickly and move on to the big game (why waste time with pregame ball checks that have never been considered a big deal anyway...before Sunday).

I think that the NFL knows the refs messed up pregame, but they've already "leaked" a report that the refs did the proper procedure pregame. The league has gotten so much heat about the poor quality of the refs this year that it would be a bigger scandal for them to say "Our refs lied. They really didn't do their job pregame".

If this is true, then my guess is that Goodell is struggling to find a way that saves face for the NFL. Unfortunately the easiest way to save face and satisfy mob rule is to blame the mystery on the Pats.

It's all really a shame cause all the NFL had to say early on was "We made a procedural mistake but the refs caught it at halftime and corrected it with no adverse effect on the outcome of the game.”

OR maybe I'm an idiot ... just as likely! :confused:

Soo... a couple weeks to figure out how some balls were deflated.

Couple days to dock belechick a fine, kraft a fine and a first round pick for spy gate.

Makes total sense to me

The NFL are using it:

"We are not commenting on the details of the review at this point." NFL spokesman Greg Aiello asked if league has contacted Brady

https://twitter.com/tomecurran/status/558384566520774656

He wouldve still been called a liar by brunell etc. I think it was a stunned response and he was responding while processing the question.

A "stunned response"????

How the hell was he NOT prepped for that question today?

Did the Pats PR Dept tell him all those people in the room were there to sing Happy Birthday to him????

Soo... a couple weeks to figure out how some balls were deflated.

Couple days to dock belechick a fine, kraft a fine and a first round pick for spy gate.

Makes total sense to me

I'd be shocked if they allowed this to linger into the mid-week for media day, etc.

They'd have to be complete and utter morons x 1000 to take the focus off of the biggest sporting event in the major sporting world (outside of maybe non-American football/soccer--World Cup).

"Are you a cheater?"

"No"

That would have been a good improvement.

That question was asked...and he said: "I don't believe so". You (evidently) didn't think that response was strong enough, thereby implicating him as a guilty party (again, evidently). I see it as only Tom being Tom (humble/polite)...which he typically is during all his pressers. And the tone of the questions at this particular PC were all intended to skewer him. Yet he took them all in stride...was real...and forthcoming with sincere answers (i.e. describing the process for how he chooses footballs).

How about the fact that he went after BB...thereby placing an unrealistic expectation (from the media) and an unrealistic burden on him (to provide the desired answer that BB didn't). Give the guy some credit!

Ray Rice abused his girlfriend, knocked her out and it was on video. Never got treated this bad in a presser

Mike Tomlin tripped up a player that may have won the game and it was on video. Never was treated this badly

None of this has a shred of evidence so far what so ever. Brady crucified by media. Over PSI in a ball.

Reading twitter feeds...did some reporter say to brady "look in the camera" ?

That question was asked...and he said: "I don't believe so". You (evidently) didn't think that response was strong enough, thereby implicating him as a guilty party (again, evidently). I see it as only Tom being Tom (humble/polite)...which he typically is during all his pressers. And the tone of the questions at this particular PC were all intended to skewer him. Yet he took them all in stride...was real...and forthcoming with sincere answers (i.e. describing the process for how he chooses footballs).

How about the fact that he went after BB...thereby placing an unrealistic expectation (from the media) and an unrealistic burden on him (to provide the desired answer that BB didn't). Give the guy some credit!

One of the things that I took from his interview is that Tom is a bit of spiritual person and this is reflected in his thinking and how he speaks (outside of games).

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back