PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 2 Targets

I agree with you: I also prefer other players, especially at 37. I'd prefer to get a 2021 1st and clean up in the 3rd round. We'll see what happens.

I say lets roll the dice and hope there isn't an early run on TE in round 2.

Used the PTP big board for day 2 mock. This is what I came away with. I wasn’t able to trade, which hurt a bit. Higgins was still available but got snatched by Buffalo right before my 2nd pick. Bastards!
Where's the TE?

Is he clearly head and shoulders above Trautman?

My opinion is that the Pats are not Super Bowl contenders next year and we have a lot of holes on our roster that need upgrading. I'd rather take a BPA approach. Kmet is nowhere near the 37th best player in the draft IMO, but I do understand that TE seems to be a difficult position to fill.

Is to me. I think hes been short changed quite a bit. With more polish, he would've been a surefire 1st. Hes not going to be that explosive receiver like Kittle or Kelce. Hes got a better physical profile than Zach Ertz coming out. Bigger, stronger, faster, more explosive and over a year younger. Hes more in the reliable receiver mold, although even that seems to underscore his ability imo. Hes not a guy that you have to hit in the numbers and he'll catch it. He can adjust to poor throws, go up and get the ball, and can get his feet in bounds on the sideline.

I think the reason he isn't viewed higher is that he needs work, but when people hear project or upside, they think freak athlete or explosive one. Thats not him. So they see a project but don't see that freakish quality, so it tempers enthusiasm about him. Head and shoulders above the class to me, and good value at 37. Hes not going to come in and dominate but hes a player that in a year or two will be a big boost to the offense as a receiver and blocker.

I expect BB to make one trade too many and screw up his chances to get a viable tight end.

Positions to Target on Day 2:

LB - Malik Harrison, Willie Gay Jr, Logan Wilson
TE - Cole Kmet, Adam Trautmann,
OT - Josh Jones, Lucas Niang, Prince Tega Wanogho
WR - Michael Pittman Jr, Devin Duvernay, Bryan Edwards, Van Jefferson
Edge - Yetur Gross Matos, AJ Epenesa, Terrell Lewis, Jabari Zuniga, Darrell Taylor
DL - Justin Madubuike, Raekwon Davis, Neville Gallimore, Jordan Elliott, Marlon Davidson

Where's the TE?
Trades were only allowed for premium. Once Kmet & Trautman were gone, I kept an eye on Claypool, Bryant and the others. I really wanted to snag one, but they all had issues that I couldn’t reconcile picking them when they were up. Predominantly Rds. 2-3. Worries me a bit about how things might actually unfold in the draft. I only did today’s picks.

*To clarify, I wanted Davis over Kmet and Trautman. I figured I’d wait to see how the board fell and then trade up. I really wanted Traut and thought I could get him late 2nd-maybe early 3rd. After picking Ashtyn, that’s when I learned I couldn’t trade up and he was gone!

Is he clearly head and shoulders above Trautman?

My opinion is that the Pats are not Super Bowl contenders next year and we have a lot of holes on our roster that need upgrading. I'd rather take a BPA approach. Kmet is nowhere near the 37th best player in the draft IMO, but I do understand that TE seems to be a difficult position to fill.
In terms of testing Trautman was #1. Followed by Keene, Parkinson, Charlie T & Hopkins. Kmet was 7.

So not a huge gap and I think talent closes that compared to someone like Parkinson or CT.

I'd love to walk away with 2 of ... Pittman, Winfield, Mims, Trautman, Akers, Swift, Blacklock and a few others between 37-98.

what do you guys think about Logan Wilson LB Wyoming

Like him a lot. I'm sure we'll move around, but I'd have no problem taking him at 71.
I don’t think he gets out of the 2nd round. If we trade down in the 2nd. I like him and an extra pick in 3rd or 4th round. Playmaker, all over the field, Captain. Sounds like a Bruschi type
Edit: Core Special Team Player

Last edited:
I don’t think he gets out of the 2nd round. If we trade down in the 2nd. I like him and an extra pick in 3rd or 4th round. Playmaker, all over the field, Captain. Sounds like a Bruschi type
Edit: Core Special Team Player

Yeah, always tough to tell where they're going to go. Hes been mocked in the 3rd, even ahead of Jordyn Brooks at times. So he definitely could go before 71.

Yeah, always tough to tell where they're going to go. Hes been mocked in the 3rd, even ahead of Jordyn Brooks at times. So he definitely could go before 71.
Good Call...He went at #65 to da Bungles...

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back