PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing David Andrews is back!!

Per Pats beat reporter Evan Lazar

Didn’t think it was possible to love David Andrews any more than before but here we are!

Huh? Not sure I believe that.

Belichick pays backups more than most. His position is important. He is the Game Day backup at C and G.

We can hope that Herron is a good at backing up the tackles.
A capable reliable 6th OL when the 1st cam mine around making 6 the backup for all 5 is almost worth the cost of a starter.

And again - the most important - and very rare - part of this FA - another long term deal for NE on lower market!

We’ll see the details, but i’m skeptical it’s a real 4 year deal for a guy who missed a season due to blood clots in his lungs. I’m guessing the Patriots have an out after 2 with minimal impact. We’ll see.

We’ll see the details, but i’m skeptical it’s a real 4 year deal for a guy who missed a season due to blood clots in his lungs. I’m guessing the Patriots have an out after 2 with minimal impact. We’ll see.

Of course - but thats almost every NFL deal - maybe 5% will have significant fixed guarantees in 3rd year

Huh? Not sure I believe that.
Indeed. Hope we hear more for further context. Maybe he took less guaranteed money but more years. I’m curious what offers he turned down considering it seemed all but certain he was gone.

Call me a homer but with New England's superior coaching, I firmly believe BB is a QB away from putting a Super Bowl-caliber roster together. Retaining Andrews is mammoth if only for solidifying the starters and improving depth.

This is great news, Karras is a more than capable back up to all 3 interior line positions. Injuries happen it’s always good to have good back ups.
Plus if a T goes out, Onwenu could go back to T and Karras play G, so 6 linemen together cover an injury at any of the 5 positions! No need to go 7 deep unless 2 go down. Very versatile grouping. Edit...Oops, and Ring 6 pretty much said exactly that...

Great news! Congrats to David and his wife as they're expecting their first(?) child this summer. I wouldn't have wanted to move either when my wife was 5 months pregnant with our first.

Wow! It was really weird he didn’t sign but damn sucks to be Karras
Why does it suck to be Karras? He gets to do what he does best, play as a reserve in multiple offensive positions. He'll get into every game for a few snaps. He'll be part of the solution and a pair of fresh legs we can bring in at the end of games to help us finish strong

karras is an average starter or a superior reserve. This year he's got a contract to be a superior reservist. I doubt he objects very much.

I'm really warming to Zach Wilson - think he's the best QB in the draft (right next to Lawrence), and could be exceptionally good in short time. If there's a way to get him without completely mortgaging the future, I'm all for it. A couple future 1sts/2nds I wouldn't mind parting with.

This team is so balanced and well-rounded right now. They need a QB, another offensive playmaker with the ball in their hands (WR or RB is fine), and perhaps another solid player at ILB and/or DL (and perhaps a CB, pending the J.C. Jackson situation). But those are luxuries, not massive needs at this point.

With Andrews returning and how set the OL is, if they can secure a competent QB ... my lord.

Wow! It was really weird he didn’t sign but damn sucks to be Karras
I'm sure Karras is fine. He'll be ok as a nice swing piece.

Dear Ian,

Please don't erase this gem:

I plan on referencing it early and often.

That's at least the second guy that signs thinking he'll be numero uno only to have another guy sign the next day projected to play over him (first was Jonnu). I wonder how they feel about it.

That being said, I'm sure they'll get Jonnu on the field aplenty and Karras will find himself starting 8 games filling in for injuries.

Dear Ian,

Please don't erase this gem:

I plan on referencing it early and often.
I love BB... but it's March... no games have been played... and QB is still a ?.

1616132007424.jpeg

they seriously have the makings of a super bowl
Call me a homer but with New England's superior coaching, I firmly believe BB is a QB away from putting a Super Bowl-caliber roster together. Retaining Andrews is mammoth if only for solidifying the starters and improving depth.
Yes definitely need a good QB....not Newton. We could work with a 2001-2004 Charlie Weis short passing, heavy run offense with a QB that can make Quick decisions and can make all the throws....sometimes on the run. Doesn’t have to be superstar but efficient and not turning it over....

Confused David Andrews GIF by New England Patriots

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back