PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Damar Hamlin Updates

This was the photo in the NY Post that they posted yesterday:

damar-hamlin-044.jpg

Shoulder struck him square in the chest.
I look at this picture and all I can see who just how HORRIBLE the tackle was technique wise. Hamlin isn't tackling Higgins, he's "catching" him. When you take out the potential tragedy, on film day, this is a play his coach would be pointing out as how NOT to tackle a receiver, or at least I would be.

Disclaimer: It should be noted that I still believe tacklers HEADS (foreheads) and shoulders should be planted between the thighs and shoulder pads with the heads UP and the arms wrapped so what do I know know.

I am so very happy. Wonder how the Bills list him on their injury report ;)

According to the Mrs., he has asked "who won the game?"

Apologies if this info is already posted or a click way i a link.

I understand why this is a scary event to the players on the field and makes them nervous about playing the game, but the pure statistical reality is they have a far, far greater chance of dying in an accident on the way to the stadium than from an in game injury. That’s just fact. It would be an overreaction to make major changes to the game because of this event.

Great news!

How did it get so dusty here?

I look at this picture and all I can see who just how HORRIBLE the tackle was technique wise. Hamlin isn't tackling Higgins, he's "catching" him. When you take out the potential tragedy, on film day, this is a play his coach would be pointing out as how NOT to tackle a receiver, or at least I would be.

Disclaimer: It should be noted that I still believe tacklers HEADS (foreheads) and shoulders should be planted between the thighs and shoulder pads with the heads UP and the arms wrapped so what do I know know.
It's a horrible tackle, to be sure, but I think if I recall seeing the film, Tee cut in and planted and Damar was out of position to do a proper form tackle. Not criticizing either player, it was a bang-bang quick cut and tackle.

An aside, @patfanken, we do teach getting the head out of the way now, wrap and roll away from the tacklers head. It sounds nice in theory, but doesn't always work. It's much different than when we played, bud. We look at it as if we can protect the players, then it's a good thing.

Kudos man to all those that saved his life! From the on the field staff that obviously did an incredible job in a life or death situation while the 60,000 people and both teams plus a good chunk of the nation on television watched. And also for those that provided on going care and treatment at the hospital. ****ing outstanding.

I know they will probably say just doing my job. Well ladies and gentlemen when your job is saving lives. ****ing kudos to you!

removed as was fake

After literally dying on the field, getting rescitated, and concluding with a 3 day coma: "Did we win?"

This guy deserved to be part of dynasty part 1 or 2, was just born at the wrong time and went to the wrong team.

Don't they run cardiology tests before players even enter the league? If not, it should be mandatory.
They run SOME. But, as was pointed out, they don't run ALL the different ones. Cyrus Jones was found to have a Congenital heart defect that wasn't found by either the Patriots nor the Ravens. It was found when he went to sign with the Broncos. He's since had to have open heart surgery to fix it.

They run SOME. But, as was pointed out, they don't run ALL the different ones. Cyrus Jones was found to have a Congenital heart defect that wasn't found by either the Patriots nor the Ravens. It was found when he went to sign with the Broncos. He's since had to have open heart surgery to fix it.

That's probably going to change now. I would imagine they are going to make these players take as many tests as needed to make sure they are not only physically fit for the NFL but also to ensure that the players are aware of any congenital conditions.

Last edited:
not sure, but it seemed like a routine hit…
Agreed it was a routine hit….and I don’t think that CC was proper diagnosis here….I think he probably has some undiagnosed cardiac genetic issues perhaps and I’m sure they will now do further more thorough cardiac testing…..but honestly it doesn’t matter …all that matters is that he opened his eyes….seems to be neurologically intact and hopefully will be able to resume a normal life…Football doesn’t matter that much

After literally dying on the field, getting rescitated, and concluding with a 3 day coma: "Did we win?"

This guy deserved to be part of dynasty part 1 or 2, was just born at the wrong time and went to the wrong team.
Reading his life story, he's a special young man. He said over half his friends growing up had died before the age of 21. Ironically, he was probably the one Bills player that would've handled this incident the best had it happened to someone else.

That's probably going to change now. I would imagine they are going to make these players take as many tests as needed to make sure they are not only physically fit for the NFL but also to ensure that the players are aware of any congenital conditions.

Maybe. Maybe not. We've already started seeing players skip the combine because they don't to work out or take the league administered exams. The ONLY way it goes through is if the NFLPA agrees to it. And they aren't likely to do that unless they get some guarantee in return.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back