PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cut Jones now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop. That is ridiculous.
It absolutely is not. If Jones was doing his job there would've been no need to put Amendola back there. I'm not happy with seeing Edelman returning punts either at this stage.

I remember similar anger and frustration and calls for cuts in 2010 when our 2nd-round pick botched a special teams play which led to an easy score. He also fumbled near the goal line to end the half.

Thank ****ing God those yahoos don't run the team or we'd never get to see the greatness of Rob Gronkowski. I'm not suggesting Jones is going to turn out anywhere near that good, and honestly, I would rather have Patricia fielding punts than Jones at this point. But to cut a 2nd-round pick in his first season for making some mistakes is just moronic.

Like there is literally no defense for the level of stupidity involved in this. I mean, if you truly believe this, you should not be allowed to operate a vehicle or use a microwave or (God forbid) reproduce.

It's okay to be angry. It's okay to be upset. Just don't go full ******.

I remember similar anger and frustration and calls for cuts in 2010 when our 2nd-round pick botched a special teams play which led to an easy score. He also fumbled near the goal line to end the half.

Thank ****ing God those yahoos don't run the team or we'd never get to see the greatness of Rob Gronkowski. I'm not suggesting Jones is going to turn out anywhere near that good, and honestly, I would rather have Patricia fielding punts than Jones at this point. But to cut a 2nd-round pick in his first season for making some mistakes is just moronic.

Like there is literally no defense for the level of stupidity involved in this. I mean, if you truly believe this, you should not be allowed to operate a vehicle or use a microwave or (God forbid) reproduce.

It's okay to be angry. It's okay to be upset. Just don't go full ******.

The bolded is likely the only reason the kid is still on the team.

I recall people declaring Hightower a bust early on too. If fans and the likes of Felger and Mazz had it their way, he would have been cut after 2013.

Guilty.:oops::p

I predict that Cyrus Jones will pull a J.D. Drew this post season. For those who don't recall (or care) J.D. was a complete bust for the Red Sox during the regular season after signing a big contract. BUT come the playoffs with their back against the wall, good ole J.D. came through with a timely Grand Slam and all was forgiven.

I watched Jones for years at Alabama, he is good. His mistakes have been mental and correctable.

The bolded is likely the only reason the kid is still on the team.

Perhaps.

Although Chris Harper was an UDFA last year and got cut after the Broncos game when he fumbled, but then re-signed with the practice squad and eventually got promoted and played snaps in two more games for us.

He also made it all the way to final roster cuts with us, so he certainly got more opportunities to try and establish a role.

Perhaps.

Although Chris Harper was an UDFA last year and got cut after the Broncos game when he fumbled, but then re-signed with the practice squad and eventually got promoted and played snaps in two more games for us.

He also made it all the way to final roster cuts with us, so he certainly got more opportunities to try and establish a role.

Harper was cut. Jones wasn't, despite having made many more mistakes.

There's no "perhaps" about it.

I am going to say this Cyrus Jones is well on his way to Canton...Canton MA.:D

Harper was cut. Jones wasn't, despite having made many more mistakes.

There's no "perhaps" about it.

Sorry, I forgot how literal you are. Yes Deus, you're technically correct, he was cut.

What I meant was that a rookie who makes a mistake isn't cut as punishment for that mistake, which is what the OP is suggesting.

Harper's move seemed like that initially, but turned out to be a roster management issue. They took a risk in losing him, but based on his UDFA status, they felt comfortable. They can't do the same with Jones.

But by technical literal definition, yes, cut.

I wanted jones cut last night...bad. I was really enjoying the game, we were kicking the ravens collective azz's, they were turtaling, harbaby looked miserable, all was right with the world. and then jones complete botch of that punt or kick let them back in the game and gave them the momentum. I was beside myself in anger, i went off on an obscenity laced tirad about jones when my wife asked me how the game was going. While ive not as angry as last night i don't want to see him on punt or kick returns until next training camp.

Sorry, I forgot how literal you are. Yes Deus, you're technically correct, he was cut.

What I meant was that a rookie who makes a mistake isn't cut as punishment for that mistake, which is what the OP is suggesting.

Harper was cut because of his mistake.

Perhaps.

Well they are very different players with very different upsides and in different situation re their position group.
You can't just paint with a "fumbled a punt brush" and say everyone gets cut or Durant solely on that.
Jones is going nowhere because he had a skillset that gives him a good chance to flourish in the NFL. You don't cut guys with talent because they did something stupid. You also don't cut cbs you are high in because they fumble on special teams, you just take them off special teams.
Harper was a JAG who never would have been on the 53 if not for many injuries.

Harper was cut because of his mistake.
I do not agree with that. He was cut after his mistake but his level of talent had more to do with it.

cutting him would be stupid......a year ago he was the best returner in the country and one of the best press corners in the draft.......he's had a tough rookie year

As you say, he was easily the best returner in the country last year, returning four punts for TD's. And he was a very good press corner, tough as nails and a great tackler. In college he was absolutely fearless and mentally very tough, he's the type of guy who lobbies his coach to let him cover the 6'6" receiver who is having a great game.

To tell the truth he is the last guy who I would have expected to have rookie yips, but I guess you never know, he does look like its a bit in his head now. He obviously has great potential as a punt returner, I think that is why BB has given him so many chances, to try to play through it and regain his confidence.

When it comes to punt returning, at least, maybe he needs another year.

I do not agree with that. He was cut after his mistake but his level of talent had more to do with it.

You're saying the same thing I am. You're just phrasing it as "level of talent" instead of acknowledging the draft position.

You're saying the same thing I am. You're just phrasing it as "level of talent" instead of acknowledging the draft position.
Well it seemed you were implying that jones isn't being cut to save face at using a 2nd round pick in him. If you were not implying that, my bad, we agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back