PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cut Jones now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it seemed you were implying that jones isn't being cut to save face at using a 2nd round pick in him. If you were not implying that, my bad, we agree.

Saving face is part of it, although that's likely mostly internalized by the drafter(s). The other part is that, as a general rule, you draft players higher because you think they have better potential, so you tend to give them more time to reach that potential before you give up.

Saving face is part of it, although that's likely mostly internalized by the drafter(s). The other part is that, as a general rule, you draft players higher because you think they have better potential, so you tend to give them more time to reach that potential before you give up.
Gotcha

Harper was cut because of his mistake.

It's possible. It's also possible you're wrong. There's no way you or I have the access to make that conclusion definitively.

Players get cut all the time, sometimes for making big mistakes, sometimes for roster management, sometimes to take a look at a new face, sometimes for a million other reasons. We don't always know all of the details that go into the decisions.

What we do know is that it wasn't the first time Harper was cut. Harper made the final 53 last year out of training camp and was active for the first game, playing 12 snaps. Then he got cut and re-signed. Was it punishment? Who knows? They would trade for Keshawn Martin shortly after the cut though.

Then he was promoted back to the 53 after Jules got hurt, played in 2 games including the Denver game, then got cut and re-signed to the practice squad. It could have been a punishment, as they picked up WR Damaris Johnson that week. Or it could have been opportunity, as RB Trey Williams was put on waivers that week by Dallas and we got him.

4 weeks later, he got promoted again and stayed on the roster into the playoffs as well, then stayed with us until final cuts.

Maybe all 3 cuts were for roster reasons. Maybe all 3 cuts were punishment for mistakes, some we didn't see. Maybe there's a mix of reasons for the cuts. We won't know with any certainty unless BB want to share.

But I don't see a history of BB penalizing players with cuts for making rookie mistakes. BB hasn't shown anything to make me think he wants to be like Bruce Arians, trying to look like a bad-ass on TV by embarrassing some kid for a parking violation.

Last edited:
Once again, those of us questioning using the 60th overall pick on a short CB without elite speed
have been proven correct, and once again, Bill has been proven wrong - again.

wow!! who passed put the pitchforks and torches?!? I would be willing to bet 99.0% of doubters here will be loving this guy next year and beyond,..... Sheesh, chill......

And, yet:

I honestly don't know why I bother.

We already agreed by literal definition that yes, he was cut. We were clearly discussing whether it was direct punishment from a mistake or not. Pointing out he was cut doesn't actually prove or disprove anything in regards to the second conversation. You might as well tell me about Tom's haircut. It doesn't really contribute anything.

Anyways, the other obvious example would be Slater, 5th-round rookie trying to make his mark on special teams who had a big fumble on a kickoff return against the Steelers. That was long before he was an established Pro Bowl STer, back when many on the forum wanted him cut as well.

In any event, there's really no point going back and forth on this point. You'll believe you're right, I'll believe anything is possible, neither of us will be able to provide any definitive evidence to conclude it one way or another.

Cyrus Jones is ahead of Justin Coleman on my depth chart for CB. He will likely be inactive once Richards/Rowe both come back, but he won't be the first defensive back to sit.

Once again, those of us questioning using the 60th overall pick on a short CB without elite speed
have been proven correct, and once again, Bill has been proven wrong - again.
How many lombardis would we have if Kraft hired you instead of that bumbling idiot?

Cyrus Jones is ahead of Justin Coleman on my depth chart for CB. He will likely be inactive once Richards/Rowe both come back, but he won't be the first defensive back to sit.

I'd rather have Jones' cover abilities out there than Richards.

Then again maybe they give JJ the snaps.

I wouldn't cut Cyrus yet. On D he is ok and will get better.
This seems like a mental hump and with great coaching (which we have) it can be fixed.
His ceiling is high and we shouldn't dump him yet.

send him to the locker room and cut him! He sucks!!!!

Sometimes an amateur can look at a situation from the outside and have an insight where the experts are being a bit myopic due to their over-thinking and proximity to the problem.

That said, Markus Cannon, Kevin Faulk etc..

But its not like Belichick is terribly sentimental or ever unwilling to cut his life losses and move on. So when he doesn't I'm perfectly willing to believe there's a reason for it. If the coaches who see and coach him everyday think he's worth being patient with, then that's good enough for me.

Last edited:
It seems nothing has lit a fire in him, look at his attitude and body language, just like Cam Newton...

How many lombardis would we have if Kraft hired you instead of that bumbling idiot?
4 more, at least, if Bill had simply played the chalk with his top-100 picks instead of consistently reaching for stiffs (especially DBs) taken much, MUCH earlier than where their talent said they should be taken.

Are you serious? Why would you cut him? So what he cant return punts. Its simple... don't let him return punts. That doesn't mean he cant be a good cornerback which is his natural position. He has actually done pretty well filling in for Rowe the last 2 weeks at cornerback aside from one play to Perriman last night.

4 more, at least, if Bill had simply played the chalk with his top-100 picks instead of consistently reaching for stiffs (especially DBs) taken much, MUCH earlier than where their talent said they should be taken.
That is just too funny.

Ravens just cut Devin Hester.

He's not what he used to be, but at a minimum you can rely on him not to play chick with the football for no apparent reason.

I'd rather have Jones' cover abilities out there than Richards.

Then again maybe they give JJ the snaps.

In order of "the extent to which I'm fine with seeing them out there":

Butler > Ryan > Rowe > J. Jones > Coleman > C. Jones.

Cyrus and Coleman are pretty much in a deadlock, though. I'm not thrilled to see either one of them playing corner at any time. Feel pretty good about the top 4, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back