PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Bills coming due for Patriots dynasty after this season

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title is somewhat confusing. This is not Kellerman yapping every year about Brady's demise. Curran's points are exactly what Patsfans have discussed over the last few years. Free agents, contracts, and cap hits. If someone is upset with the article then they should cut and paste an example.

So tell us what's so wrong with Curran's piece.

$27M to Brady? McCourty is worth $13.4M? $10.3M to Hightower? Allen is worth $7.4M? Football has stupid contracts - we all know that. The players know that. We admit that. The players admit that. Is DMac 3x to 4x more valuable than his twin brother? Everyone knows the game.

Most of us wish it would change. But being honest with your readers as opposed to proposing that some phony "bill" is coming is being disingenuous. Writing articles pretending that BB, the author, or the readers do not know the situation, and the author has discovered a "hot take" is what is wrong with this article. Sure there will be changes this offseason. Sure there will be negotiations this offseason. An article that detailed why and how this offseason's needed negotiations and salary cap adjustments compared to previous offseason's would be received with more enthusiasm.

Curran did not use to be a "click bate" or "hot take" reporter. That has changed. Without perspective on the contract negotiations and changes versus other offseasons, this is just drama and has to be taken as hyperbole.

So tell us what you think is right with Curran's piece?

This is the worst Pats team in a decade, most of the key core players are either old, declining or both (Brady, Gronk, Hightower, McCourty, Edelman), they are tight with cap space to re-sign T.Brown and Flowers - arguably two of their top 3 performers this year, and they have a very limited number of quality cheap under-contract young players

They can probably squeeze out another year or two of 10-6 or 11-5 seasons but the roster is in bad shape for the future and the resources either in terms of money or young up and comes just aren’t there. Oh, and the GOAT QB is approaching retirement

What’s the argument for the Pats remaining an elite team or even a very good team in the future? They need a 2-4 year retooling and Brady will be done by then

The talent just isn’t there on defense and the key offensive talent is thin and declining (outside of White). Fixing those problems isn’t a one offseason job given the lack of internal options and cap space

Trent Brown is not a top 3 performer this year. Hes been what Solder gave them.

After this season they will have a ton of draft picks and cap room. They could go 9-7 or 14-2. Time will tell.

$27M to Brady? McCourty is worth $13.4M? $10.3M to Hightower? Allen is worth $7.4M? Football has stupid contracts - we all know that. The players know that. We admit that. The players admit that. Is DMac 3x to 4x more valuable than his twin brother? Everyone knows the game.

Most of us wish it would change. But being honest with your readers as opposed to proposing that some phony "bill" is coming is being disingenuous. Writing articles pretending that BB, the author, or the readers do not know the situation, and the author has discovered a "hot take" is what is wrong with this article. Sure there will be changes this offseason. Sure there will be negotiations this offseason. An article that detailed why and how this offseason's needed negotiations and salary cap adjustments compared to previous offseason's would be received with more enthusiasm.

Curran did not use to be a "click bate" or "hot take" reporter. That has changed. Without perspective on the contract negotiations and changes versus other offseasons, this is just drama and has to be taken as hyperbole.

So tell us what you think is right with Curran's piece?

You're making one of the mistakes that PatsDeb made. You're taking cap number and equating it with salary for purposes of your response. Brady, for example, is only set to make $15m next season. The other $12m is just accounting games, and the team is on the hook for that $12m cap hit whether or not Brady is still with the team. Unless you're insane, or there's a complete collapse in the G.O.A.T.'s game over the course of the remainder of the season, you can't possibly think that paying Tom Brady $15m next year is an overpay.

Too much doom and gloom about the future. We still have a lot of play for in 2018.

We have a lot of picks next year. I expect us to use them on all areas of the defense, TE, Wr, and developmental qb. The retooling starts right after the Super Bowl. No need to worry about it until then.

All you have to do is go back to the 2000 season......look at the roster and salary cap issues they had.

turning a team around is not hard.......especially if you're the coach who gets to pick the players

I used to post the Joel Buchsbaum column where he said the 2001 pats, stuck with huge contracts and tons of holes, were the least likely team to be in the Super Bowl.:p

Too much doom and gloom about the future. We still have a lot of play for in 2018.

We have a lot of picks next year. I expect us to use them on all areas of the defense, TE, Wr, and developmental qb. The retooling starts right after the Super Bowl. No need to worry about it until then.

Exactly. I don't really give a fu*k about next year. Or the year after.
We're playing with house money.
After 17+ years of the greatest dynasty in NFL history and especially after the mind-blowing comebacks in the 2014 & 2016 SBs, everything else is gravy.
We got a good shot this year if they can get and stay healthy.
I've been a Pats fan since the early 60's, that will never change.
But right now, I'm just enjoying the last leg of this awesome ride the 2 GOATS have taken us on. More than anybody could ever ask for.
I just feel sorry for all these doom and gloomers. Life is too short. Gotta enjoy the good times while they last.

Most likely they are not going to desperately try to be mediocre, Since Tom and Gronk will retire sometime. They'll likely spend what they need to for a couple, or a few more shots, then tank and go for some top picks.

That’s what I’m doing as well. I’m wanting to enjoy the nine games we have left this season. After last off season, I’d rather not consider what happens later.

While Curran makes some fair points, all it takes is one draft. The Saints went three straight seasons at 7-9 & now may have one of the best teams of this decade thanks in large part to nailing the 2017 draft. The Colts may have turned their franchise around with their current draft class. The Seahawks built an alltime defense with their 2010-2012 classes & the Pats powered their SB defenses with their 2012-2013 classes.

BB & co. are due. Six picks in the top 100 with potential starters Wynn & Bentley returning. This upcoming draft is big. It may start with replacing Gronk/Allen’s salaries with one of the first round talents projected to declare. Need to turn the drafting around.

So tell us what's so wrong with Curran's piece.
I don't know because I didn't read it. My opinion/commentary wasn't based upon that piece and that's why I didn't even mention it. Rather, it was based upon Tom's other writings, his Quick Slants shows, etc. I like Tom and generally like reading his stuff. I don't enjoy it as much as I used to, but I think he's a good reporter. But, in my opinion, even good reporters are influenced by personal relationships.

Exactly. I don't really give a fu*k about next year. Or the year after.
We're playing with house money.
After 17+ years of the greatest dynasty in NFL history and especially after the mind-blowing comebacks in the 2014 & 2016 SBs, everything else is gravy.
We got a good shot this year if they can get and stay healthy.
I've been a Pats fan since the early 60's, that will never change.
But right now, I'm just enjoying the last leg of this awesome ride the 2 GOATS have taken us on. More than anybody could ever ask for.
I just feel sorry for all these doom and gloomers. Life is too short. Gotta enjoy the good times while they last.

Wondering what an 80year old Belichick can do with a handful of high #1 picks.:D

Agree and what Curran is selling is BB isn't thinking of it either which is flat out wrong.

While Curran makes some fair points, all it takes is one draft. The Saints went three straight seasons at 7-9 & now may have one of the best teams of this decade thanks in large part to nailing the 2017 draft. The Colts may have turned their franchise around with their current draft class. The Seahawks built an alltime defense with their 2010-2012 classes & the Pats powered their SB defenses with their 2012-2013 classes.

BB & co. are due. Six picks in the top 100 with potential starters Wynn & Bentley returning. This upcoming draft is big. It may start with replacing Gronk/Allen’s salaries with one of the first round talents projected to declare. Need to turn the drafting around.
...and the sad truth is once they slash Gronk, Allen and DMCs contract they will have a ton of cap room as well.

If they can squeeze another 2 years out of Tom they have a shot at more SB appearances.

Idk. We say that, and then we trade off all of our picks into the next season :rolleyes:

Most likely they are not going to desperately try to be mediocre, Since Tom and Gronk will retire sometime. They'll likely spend what they need to for a couple, or a few more shots, then tank and go for some top picks.

The Patriots literally have a mission statement that says the opposite.

Curran used to be good. But he also ran a article once about how Tommy's career was over in 2008.

Hes a personality now and those are the worst reporters.

Curran used to be good. But he also ran a article once about how Tommy's career was over in 2008.
Yeah, because of an infection that Brady really did have, and was bad enough that it had to be cleaned out, but thankfully not as bad as Curran's source was telling him. It was an incorrect column but not a crazy one.

Yeah, because of an infection that Brady really did have, and was bad enough that it had to be cleaned out, but thankfully not as bad as Curran's source was telling him. It was an incorrect column but not a crazy one.

Yes. He had like a staff infection in the bone. Could have been the end of him

This article is laughable.

Trey Flowers isn't getting an $80M Contract. It's not happening. I love Trey. He's a good, but not GREAT all around DE. He'll be lucky to get a contract that is 5yr/$45-50M . Curran is smoking Cheap stuff thinking $80M.

The 2015 Salary Cap was 155.2M. The 2017 Salary Cap was $167M. The 2018 Cap was 177.2M. The Patriots have 43 players under contract totalling $169M currently. OTC is projecting the cap to be $195M. I think the 2019 Cap is likely to be around $188M-$190M.

Allen won't be back at $7.4M. And it's unlikely that McCourty will be back at $13.435M. Gronk is unlikely to be back at $12M as well. A simple extension can drop Brady's contract down from the $27M it's supposed to be.

His claim that the 3.0 Version isn't being developed is laughable as well. What do you call Rivers, Wise, Wynn, Michel, Dawson, Bentley, Sam, Jackson, and Crossen? That's not counting Berrios and Andrews who are on injury lists. They also have numerous draft picks for next year.

Curran acts like Josh Gordon isn't an RFA and that Dorsett is going to cost 4-5M to re-sign..

These are the sorts of articles that show how out of touch Curran is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News