PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coronavirus RESPECTFUL Discussion Only! (Mod edit: Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one hates Trump more than me, but blaming him for this crisis is ludicrous. If you want to blame him, blame him for his continued and on going idiotic response to the crisis. I'm not surprised that he's lied about getting a testing program up and running. He's been lying to the American public for 4 years now (not including the 40 previous years). SKorea tested more people in the last DAY, than we have in the past month.

When it come down to it, NO one is to blame for the Corona Virus. Sh!t like this has happened since the dawn of civilization. But its how we RESPOND to the threat that is the measure of a people....and its leaders

I don't think anyone is saying he created the virus.

Everyone however is saying his response to this has been horrible.

There's a WH briefing soon. Let's see if he shows up, gives a quick speech, and runs off before any questions can be asked... as usual.

What type of leadership is that?

Bars and Restaurants closed for 8 ****ing weeks in Denver. No sure how any business stays afloat now. Happy now?!

Complete shutdown or only pickup and delivery?

But of course you wouldn't get my point. Trump is not at fault for the virus. He is 1,000 percent at fault for bungling its containment in the U.S. by being woefully unprepared, not taking it seriously early on, continuing to contradict his self-appointed experts and failing to promote a competently cohesive plan. More people will die as a result and yes -- that's on him.

What the hell good will it do NOW to point fingers at China? At this point whether it came from China, Africa or Jupiter doesn't matter one iota.

When the US reaches 1000 deaths or anything near where China, Iran, or Italy is facing, then we can talk about Trump's response as being inadequate. Right now, the numbers are low.

jfvqfhyjtzm41.jpg

just another buffoon with a convoluted world view

When the US reaches 1000 deaths or anything near where China, Iran, or Italy is facing, then we can talk about Trump's response as being inadequate.

Thanks. Makes total sense. Though I suggest 1,023.

When the US reaches 1000 deaths or anything near where China, Iran, or Italy is facing, then we can talk about Trump's response as being inadequate.
Oh. In your estimation, how many American deaths are acceptable from this under Trump's watch?

When the US reaches 1000 deaths or anything near where China, Iran, or Italy is facing, then we can talk about Trump's response as being inadequate. Right now, the numbers are low.
I agree. I am very encouraged by what was announced yesterday in terms of support, supplies, restrictions being enacted. We all just have to do our part and keep the social distancing and the sanitation as best we can. The only way we defeat this is together.

Oh. In your estimation, how many American deaths are acceptable from this under Trump's watch?

Don't know, maybe under 1000. I know you want no Americans to die from this but that's not reality. Liberals always think in the ideal, unfortunately. The truth is as soon as the virus spread people were going to die. The question now is, how many? And can we contain it?

Don't know, maybe under 1000. I know you want no Americans to die from this but that's not reality. Liberals always think in the ideal, unfortunately. The truth is as soon as the virus spread people were going to die. The question now is, how many? And can we contain it?

You realize this makes no sense, right? The US is a huge country geographically and has 350M. Most of these European countries have 50M. It isn’t about the total number of deaths here. What needs to happen is a somewhat workable ratio of patients to beds, which keeps the fatality rate closer to 0.5% instead of 4%, and the slowing of the disease through social distancing and government led lockdowns. Trump has a monumental task ahead of him in the US due to diverse geography, privatized health care, and a huge lack of resources/slow start, the latter of which he hasn’t done himself any favors with, to be generous.

Don't know, maybe under 1000.
So, once fatalities cross that threshold you will be on record admitting Trump bungled the response?

I know you want no Americans to die from this but that's not reality. Liberals always think in the ideal, unfortunately.
I am no liberal, you should know that by now.

The truth is as soon as the virus spread people were going to die. The question now is, how many? And can we contain it?
Yes, those are the unknowns we need to pray about.

Zero. How dare the president allow people to die from a pandemic.

So, once fatalities cross that threshold you will be on record admitting Trump bungled the response?

I am no liberal, you should know that by now.

Yes, those are the unknowns we need to pray about.

The initial response was somewhat of a failure, but there is still time to turn things around for the Administration. The game is not over yet. It's only the 2nd inning.

Liberal, moderate...same thing, right?

An Arkansas Senator asking for a national shutdown.

Seems like a pretty significant milestone.

Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) on Monday called for the United States to take more drastic measures to address the Chinese coronavirus pandemic, including a national “shutdown” that would only exclude “absolutely essential work” and stipends to affected workers to assist them in paying their bills as the pandemic continues to unfold across the globe.

(Note this comes from Breitbart. Hence the designation "Chinese coronavirus pandemic".)

Problem is the people who put the whole blame on the Prez versus me who puts partial on him and the rest on the ******ed public and the people/scientists who were on the airwaves spouting off about how it is no big deal.

I’m beyond tired of hearing about test kits. Without knowing how this virus truly spreads, aerosol or contact. Or what is the real detection timeframe. The test kit crap throwing is just a nice and easy target for those who just want to ***** and pass easy blame. Half the country thought it was no big deal and I still see on my social media some people still not giving a rats ass. Test kits don’t solve that and the only thing that does is a complete shutdown and a partial economic collapse.

If people across the board including the Prez have taken this as seriously as those in Italy have it would have been fairly easy. Oh and the big thing passing around social media is to have children write letters to the elderly in nursing homes. This has some serious traction.

If you can’t see the downfall to that then...
Did you really use the word "******ed" to describe the public/scientists?

This was a move to inject the repo market which is at best, just greasing the machinery of the market, which is a very short-sighted move. In the meantime, the virus and the impact it will have on the economy, will be felt for many months. This is something the UBI can buffer effectively.

Anyway, what really happens is that the Feds lend these overnight loans to the banks at near zero interest and these banks then turn right around and sell these loans at much higher interest rates, exploiting the crisis.

And people get mad at some idiot stocking his garage full of hand sanitizers.

I don't necessarily support all of these large scale interventions from the Fed (for different reasons than yours) but you are greatly underestimating the importance of the repo market. The run on the repo market was one of the biggest contributing factors for the downturn in 2008. It's how financial institutions get cash and leverage the huge sums they have invested in other assets. It's gigantic market with a volume of several trillion dollars on average per day.

Also, the Federal Reserve is in a position to make money off these loans. If the banks cannot repay these loans, the Federal Reserve gets to keep the securities and earn a huge return. Even if the banks pay them back, it will make a profit since it will charge interest on the loan.

They've also introduced a round of $700 billion worth of quantitative easing, similar to what they did after the 2008 recession.

But we can be sure that the rich wont misuse those funds...because

You can't be sure that the recipients of such massive intervention won't misuse that money, whether it's financial institutions via monetary policy, or working class individuals via fiscal policy. That's the issue with intervention, it creates distortions, and in the case of the monetary policy that has just been introduced, the potential for excessive risk taking is always there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes