PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coronavirus RESPECTFUL Discussion Only! (Mod edit: Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to figure the next step here. We're dealing with at least two emergencies. The virus, and now our economy.

If things level off (market wise) today or tomorrow, I think we're good economically. But if things continue to plummet (down 2k points currently), does anyone think the folks that fund politics are gonna seek a change?

I mean if they're losing Billions... could you see a meeting with Pence and the Cabinet? Even this week?

Try to sure up national confidence and stop the economic bleeding.

So much for the federal government getting it's **** together.

So much for the federal government getting it's **** together.

When I read this stuff, it makes me yearn for more government involvement in all aspects of my waking life. Look at the DMV and Congress for example. Two well-oiled machines at work.

The one positive thing about being in the US right now is that in most places the population density is low. People also use cars and are less dependent on public transportation. This inherently reduces the level of social contact and reduces the chances of mass infection at various hotspots such as trains/buses/markets. This advantage may be less relevant in places like NYC though and the administration's bungling ways may have nullified it anyway. A lot of us are going to get this disease, let's hope that the curve does start flattening out due to the common people's vigilance.

UK could face huge problems also due to lack of ventilators...
Stay safe my friend
This can’t be. I’ve been led to believe that only the US is ill-equipped to handle this.

Romney is backing a form of this too.

Expect trump and the GOP to fight tooth and nail against this, a week after giving big banks $1.5 trillion in temporary liquidity.

It is not patently false, but it was a distortion of the truth. Biden did try several times to cut SS, Medicare, etc in the '90s. However his statement in 2018 was taken out of context (Biden was mocking Paul Ryan), so that was a bad move by the Sanders campaign.
I've got no dog in the Sanders vs Biden fight and yes, Biden has proposed freezes or cuts or slowdowns mostly in the 80s and 90s but his track record is not that of advocating cuts for 40 years.

And I'm sure Biden's campaign will roll out some distorted truths about Sanders' record. I won't agree with those attacks either.

As far as trying to stabilize the economy, this is the right move. This would encourage more people to stay at home, instead of trying to gut it out.

Tulsi Gabbard and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez back universal basic income in response to coronavirus

Good idea in principle, but I’d rather have it as vouchers/food stamps for all and reimbursements or vouchers for basic necessities like rent or mortgage. The idea of writing a 1,000 check to cash is a terrible idea, and children shouldn’t be punished for parents/guardians being irresponsible. They hesitated to shut down the schools in California because millions of kids depend on schools to eat. When I asked why they can’t just subsidized it though money, I was told because the money/food would,never get to the kids.

Expect trump and the GOP to fight tooth and nail against this, a week after giving big banks $1.5 trillion in temporary liquidity.

jfvqfhyjtzm41.jpg

Good idea in principle, but I’d rather have it as vouchers/food stamps for all and reimbursements or vouchers for basic necessities like rent or mortgage. The idea of writing a 1,000 check to cash is a terrible idea, and children shouldn’t be punished for parents/guardians being irresponsible. They hesitated to shut down the schools in California because millions of kids depend on schools to eat. When I asked why they can’t just subsidized it though money, I was told because the money/food would,never get to the kids.

A portion of it will definitely get misused or abused, but the hope is that the majority of people will use it responsibly. Anyway, this wouldn't be permanent- only until the pandemic has been declared to be over.

This, IMO, will do far more to stabilize the economy, mitigate panic, than lining Wall Street's pocket for the hundredth time.

That's not how it works, but the point is still somewhat valid - there are a lot of things that "are" for no reason other than "that's the way it is" or to keep money in the hands of the very wealthy.

If TSA can eliminate the 3oz rule for hand sanitizer, why can't they eliminate that arbitrary and ridiculous limitation on shampoo?

$1.5tril of overnight loans is something very different than $1000 per month per adult. The latter is actual spending. The former isn't.

Doing the latter may well be a good idea, but the people making this bogus comparison to whine about it simply out themselves as mindless partisan hacks.

Trying to figure the next step here. We're dealing with at least two emergencies. The virus, and now our economy.

If things level off (market wise) today or tomorrow, I think we're good economically. But if things continue to plummet (down 2k points currently), does anyone think the folks that fund politics are gonna seek a change?

I mean if they're losing Billions... could you see a meeting with Pence and the Cabinet? Even this week?

Try to sure up national confidence and stop the economic bleeding.

There is no cabinet, they are all acting

That's doublespeak, a COLA freeze is effectively a cut. Unless you believe there will be zero inflation in which case a freeze would be pointless as there would be no offset, which brings us back to the aforementioned doublespeak.

It is, but that's less doublespeak than the notion that SS is all money people put in. The average American will put in far less than they take out, depending on how long they live, the amount of health care they need, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes