PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Consider The Whole Draft

The Jets picked twice at #4 and #10 (and #26), the Patriots picked at #29. The Jets were 4-13 last year.
Sounds like revisionist history to me, weren't the Pats the 4-13 team last year?

The most idiotic take to come out of this draft pick has to be that we didn't need a guard and a guard won't help us. Do people realize we lost not one, but both starters?
And in reality, neither starting guard were that good last year. Glad Bill is improving the OL

I hope this Strange kid crushes it. Seems like a great kid and has a bit of a mean streak to him. Hope he reads all these comments from keyboard general managers about how he's a wasted pick. Don't come back jumping up and down in mid November when he's started everygame.

The thing I do credit the Pats for is just evaluating the players. It's funny how narratives emerge in the media. Tyquan Thornton and Jameson Williams have basically the same build - 6'2 and 180lbs. Yet many said Williams is a can't miss prospect and maybe the best receiver in the draft and Thornton too skinny and weak to make it in the NFL. I know that school and competition come into it and explain draft position but we've basically got Jameson Williams lite. That at least intrigues me.

The same with Cole Strange - has the athletic profile and tape that compares favourably with the best guards in the class but he's got knocked due to the level of competition. If he played in the SEC he would have been in competition for the first guard taken I suspect.

I was initially frustrated by the picks but am coming round on both. They at least fill obvious needs on the roster.

The thing I do credit the Pats for is just evaluating the players. It's funny how narratives emerge in the media. Tyquan Thornton and Jameson Williams have basically the same build - 6'2 and 180lbs. Yet many said Williams is a can't miss prospect and maybe the best receiver in the draft and Thornton too skinny and weak to make it in the NFL. I know that school and competition come into it and explain draft position but we've basically got Jameson Williams lite. That at least intrigues me.

The same with Cole Strange - has the athletic profile and tape that compares favourably with the best guards in the class but he's got knocked due to the level of competition. If he played in the SEC he would have been in competition for the first guard taken I suspect.

I was initially frustrated by the picks but am coming round on both. They at least fill obvious needs on the roster.
Agreed. Of course competition matters to a certain degree, but Thornton could “potentially” be Williams at much better value.

So I’ve been hearing negative comments about how the patriots are too slow and they need to get faster.
So in an offense that relies on agility of OL because they pull a lot, run a lot of screens, etc they drafted one of the fastest and most athletic Gs in years. They drafted the fastest WR in the draft and one of the top fastest DBs.
Yet the same people are complaining.

Btw, they also appear to have transformed the LB room over the last 2 years to a substantially faster group of players.

Williams did it on a national stage against the best competition. He’ll get a pass everytime so this is nothing new. What people don’t ask is if you reversed their situations and put Thornton in the Alabama lineup with Bryce Young and Williams with Shapen/Bohana how would the two perform? Probably both would still do well but I bet Thornton would have the numbers of a first rounder. Location and situations are always underestimated and this is why every year elite players emerge and shine in the NFL from the 2nd round all the way to udfa. Not saying Thornton will be elite or bust but you never know.

So I’ve been hearing negative comments about how the patriots are too slow and they need to get faster.
So in an offense that relies on agility of OL because they pull a lot, run a lot of screens, etc they drafted one of the fastest and most athletic Gs in years. They drafted the fastest WR in the draft and one of the top fastest DBs.
Yet the same people are complaining.

Btw, they also appear to have transformed the LB room over the last 2 years to a substantially faster group of players.
Something tells me mcgrone and raekwon are players with huge upside. We could get a pleasant surprise there. Now add one fatty to stop the run game and get trey flowers and hicks. We are back in business.

I want them to draft Tariq woolen. His measurables are off the charts . If he pans out, he will be the steal of the draft .

Draft Woolen and Matt araiza and I would be happy if they called it a day and got the rest as udfa...

I have considered the whole draft... And it still ****ing Sucks.

Keeps getting Worse with every pick, in fact.

doG hates US all.
dog-the-bounty-hunter-may-face-serious-charges-tries-apprehending-brian-laundrie-against-will-768x461.jpg

I think we should consider Ashton Ramsburg and her save under pressure, getting Ed Marinaro to "just read the card".

leonardo dicaprio bravo GIF

I have considered the whole draft... And it still ****ing Sucks.

Keeps getting Worse with every pick, in fact.

doG hates US all.
Cousin, I would vote you poster of the year with that quip!!!
Good morning Cousins, I should say good mourning Cousins.

Simple breakfast as I get ready for the Saturday marathon.Two fried eggs over and crisp maple bacon, The eggs are nicely seasoned with black pepper only, a crisp buttered English muffin and finally a beautiful moist piece of thick pumpkin bread made with cloves, cinnamon, brown sugar and baked nice and dense to keep the moisture. Plus vanilla coffee and orange juice.

Draft: Rated ........Meh

Are we better than last Thursday afternoon? No

Does ego run our Draft board as I am smaryter than you nannanna haha? Yes

Do these kids have a clue about how to Draft and where? You be the judge.

Did we pass on sure things (if that is possible) like a Skyy Moore and a Chenal even an injured Nakobe Dean or a power DT like Jones perhaps? You betcha!

More after the dust settles.
DW Toys

Haven't logged in in a while...work has been...something else. But the Draft never disappoints. Or rather, this board never disappoints on Draft week.

I stopped watching the draft closely after 2010 and that's when I also stopped taking draft comments on this board seriously. Could these picks be terrible? Who knows? The board was bitterly polarized in 2010 with McCourty, Gronk, and the Murderer. Wait and see...

ok, I'm considering the draft....Bill the GM reached on a guard, receiver, and corner who all could've been had one or two rounds later....
I think the difference between prognosticators and actual team’s scouts and scouting in general, is besides the film and obvious talents of the players, there’s more that goes into it. They are looking at, for instance, does the player fit OUR system and what WE are looking to do. I think that’s not in the prognosticators tool box.

Also, you have to think about the player’s personality. Thornton and Jones each had AT LEAST one visit with the Patriots. Now, when they have meetings with players, I believe they can’t do anything physically, so it’s all about, can these players understand our concepts, do they have the intelligence. I believe they talk about, for instance, receivers, if the defense does this, what do you do ? Offensive lineman, if the defensive line does this stunt, what do you do ? Things like that. And the prognosticators aren’t in the room during these visits, so those things aren’t available to them.

If Tyquan Thornton was dumb as a stump, I don’t think the Pats select him, especially knowing how difficult the offense is to learn.

So I think all of these things add up into the process the scouts follow to make the final decision in who they select. Prognosticators don’t have all of those things I mentioned in their toolbox.

I go back to 2002, WR Deion Branch, the DRAFT GUIDES had him rated as a 7th round pick. The Pats selected him in round 2. I remember being SO angry, I was fuming. Then my ex- wife, who really didn’t know football, said, maybe he fits the coach’s system better than other guys. It was an aha moment. It made so much sense. Of course Branch fit Belichick’s system perfectly, and was a key player in the Pats winning SB 38 & 39.

I didn’t take the common sense to heart though, because a few years later, I was pissed off about the Logan Mankins pick as well. He was rated as a 3rd round pick in the DRAFT GUIDES, we picked him in the 1st round. Of course, once again, he was a great Patriot.

So I get people being upset. The Pat’s draft history, outside of 2012 & 2021 has been pretty bad. I’ve been one their biggest critics. But there is a lot more that goes into making the pick besides who the draft guides like, and even other teams ratings of players. The Pats have THEIR draft board, and just because we get angry because the Pats go “off the board” according to others, doesn’t mean we will be right. HOPEFULLY the Pats made the right moves. Time will tell. Knee jerk reactions don’t mean squat. I know that fact personally with my own reactions being wrong many times.

Williams did it on a national stage against the best competition. He’ll get a pass everytime so this is nothing new. What people don’t ask is if you reversed their situations and put Thornton in the Alabama lineup with Bryce Young and Williams with Shapen/Bohana how would the two perform? Probably both would still do well but I bet Thornton would have the numbers of a first rounder. Location and situations are always underestimated and this is why every year elite players emerge and shine in the NFL from the 2nd round all the way to udfa. Not saying Thornton will be elite or bust but you never know.
That's a reason I was leery of drafting Georgia D players (other than Davis, who is a unicorn). They're all very good, of course, but how much better are guys like TIndall, Dean, and Walker with Davis/Wyatt/Walker up front...and or vice-versa?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back