PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Conflicting reports on who was repsonsible for the decision to trade Jimmy (Kraft or Belichick???)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of weird stuff coming out in media in this post-JG era.

Kinda feels like a sad day for the franchise. Like Bill felt they'd really struck gold with another QB and wanted to move heaven and hell to keep both happy, but JG held all the cards and Bill knew it and had to capitulate in the least damaging way possible.

It's like they'd carefully developed a plan to mitigate the risk of Brady being the starting QB at age 40 and beyond. The plan went so well (Brady playing well, JG developing) that they couldn't maintain it. Now, the risk remains with Brady up there in years, and they have to start over with a new plan to mitigate that risk.

Meanwhile, Brady's guru talks **** about injuries that he thinks should've been prevented with his method, and the actual training staff probably has had it up to here with the TB12 snake oil insanity.
I think you're right here - the plan went so well, but ultimately how could they plan for Brady continuing to play at an elite level at age 40 (and possibly beyond)? I am sure when they drafted Jimmy that they felt Brady had a few years left, but that he would probably be declining by 40 and would either retire, take a backup role or end up being traded at worst. There was really no way for them to know when the end would actually be for Brady. At the rate he's going, they could honestly still have time to draft someone this offseason with that high 2nd and still have several years' worth of elite Brady to use to develop the new kid in the background.

Or, they could just use Indianapolis to get Brissett valuable starting experience before taking him back in free agency in a couple years, lol.

The problem with the ''Kraft forced the trade'' theory is that Jimmy's role for this team had to have been discussed dozens of times during the last couple of years. This wasn't a back and forth battle between Brady and Jimmy, Jimmy gaining the upper hand which created schism in the locker room, and so when a decision had to made, Kraft chose Brady. Brady was and is the man, JG couldn't take his place, wanted to leave so he could start and we salvaged a second round pick for it.

So you have the following choice, considering keeping both was impossible due to JG's desire to start:

5 time Super Bowl Champ, Best current QB in the league, playing at a fantastic level with no decline in sight

or a backup that has played 1 and half game in his career.

I'm sure it was a difficult decision to trade JG because he showed lots of promise and all the work and grooming have gone to waste, but when you have a choice between the greatest player ever playing as good as ever and a decent promise, it's not really a choice at all.

But that's not a hot take so let's invent one.

Lots of weird stuff coming out in media in this post-JG era.

Kinda feels like a sad day for the franchise. Like Bill felt they'd really struck gold with another QB and wanted to move heaven and hell to keep both happy, but JG held all the cards and Bill knew it and had to capitulate in the least damaging way possible.

It's like they'd carefully developed a plan to mitigate the risk of Brady being the starting QB at age 40 and beyond. The plan went so well (Brady playing well, JG developing) that they couldn't maintain it. Now, the risk remains with Brady up there in years, and they have to start over with a new plan to mitigate that risk.

Meanwhile, Brady's guru talks **** about injuries that he thinks should've been prevented with his method, and the actual training staff probably has had it up to here with the TB12 snake oil insanity.
Or they had an asset that they liked but knew they had no way to retain so they dealt it at the latest possible time.

You could fill a book with the number of things wrong with that SI article. Here's one example:

The only problem with this spin is that after the KC game someone asked Bill if the QB position was going to be re-evaluated. Bill snorted.

I guarantee that Ivan fears thing is ********

Correct me, if i´m wrong: But if i could remember me correctly, the last Brady extension includes a "no trade" clause.

Correct me, if i´m wrong: But if i could remember me correctly, the last Brady extension includes a "no trade" clause.
I'm pretty sure you're wrong. However, IIRC the cap hit for trading (or cutting) Brady before the end of the 2018 season is pretty harsh.

Do you have to ask?
The golf guy who says something that conflicts with everything we perceive or the football guy who confirms it?
I don't trust anybody who writes ...'loyalty too ...'

i find it very hard to believe that kraft would attempt to meddle with the roster decisions the year after winning a superbowl, and two years removed from winning a different superbowl.

Forcing a trade of the 2nd best QB in the AFC east mid season is wildly out of character for an owner that is more of the sit back and let the people he hired do their job type of fella.

I guarantee that there was an agreement between Kraft and Belichik that Brady goes nowhere while playing at the current level......hell, Brady was probably involved also when he said 'I'll play until I suck'.........Garoppolo wants to play now and nobody can blame him

they're simply going to have to repeat the cycle in the next draft

Keep up the good fight, brother!

Seems this site is making a slide towards hawt takes.

I for one hope we can be better than that, but I'm starting to wonder.

I tried to shut it down Lee. I tried. I....trie..d.....

I think you're right here - the plan went so well, but ultimately how could they plan for Brady continuing to play at an elite level at age 40 (and possibly beyond)? I am sure when they drafted Jimmy that they felt Brady had a few years left, but that he would probably be declining by 40 and would either retire, take a backup role or end up being traded at worst. There was really no way for them to know when the end would actually be for Brady. At the rate he's going, they could honestly still have time to draft someone this offseason with that high 2nd and still have several years' worth of elite Brady to use to develop the new kid in the background.

Or, they could just use Indianapolis to get Brissett valuable starting experience before taking him back in free agency in a couple years, lol.

I think it has become clear over the years that BB cares deeply about his legacy. IMHO, a very important part of that legacy is the sustained excellence, and building a long term sustainable program. Thus, I think BB has worked very hard to make sure that the Patriots have a good quarterback in place when Brady retires, whether or not BB retires a few years after. He had a great plan to do exactly that. However, due to events that he couldn't possibly have predicted, i.e., Brady still performing at a MVP level largely injury free at age 40, he simply couldn't sustain his current great plan for having a back-up in place when Brady retires.

On Lombardi's GM Street podcast today, they discussed this, and also the problem that with so many holes it will be problematic to come up with a "plan B" for quarterback after Brady retires. It will be interesting to see what BB comes up with, it is usually a mistake to underestimate him.

Forcing a trade of the 2nd best QB in the AFC east mid season is wildly out of character for an owner that is more of the sit back and let the people he hired do their job type of fella.
If this even happened at all I very much doubt it was Kraft ordering BB to trade JG. Rather, if it happened at all it would have been Kraft telling BB that Brady would not be allowed to be traded.

What's with all the "I guarantee..." posts?

Do you guys have proof?

Or is this one of those shamwow guarantee line? If I agree with one guarantee, does the other guarantee come half the price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back