PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Conflicting reports on who was repsonsible for the decision to trade Jimmy (Kraft or Belichick???)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the majority here - BB was stuck at the trading deadline with an asset that was going to lose much of its value if he didn't take action immediately. So he did.

The funny thing about all the tweets by the golf dude at the beginning is that TB has said many times that as soon as his performance slips, BB is going to ship him out. I'm sure I've heard him say it at least 5 different times in interviews. He knows BB is all about the team, and he respects that. There's no amazing new revelation here, he doesn't suddenly 'hate his coach'.

Also, Kraft has said many times he'd like Brady to retire a Patriot, but I'm pretty sure BB would quit on the spot if Kraft started telling him which players to keep or trade.

This thread belongs in the practice forum. With all the ifs, buts and maybe's you've put out there, to create the reason for this thread, it is of absolutely no value whatsoever to Pats fans on this site. With over 7000 posts, I'd hoped that you better understood how things work with the Patriots.

Also, Kraft has said many times he'd like Brady to retire a Patriot, but I'm pretty sure BB would quit on the spot if Kraft started telling him which players to keep or trade.
Wrong. Belichick has it better here than he could possibly have it anywhere else for a large variety of reasons. Keeping Tom Brady at the owners behest isn't that bad. If any of this is true, then sure Bill could be annoyed but he would never leave for another team.

Oh-My-God-Who-The-Hell-Cares-Gif-On-Family-Guy.gif

Wrong. Belichick has it better here than he could possibly have it anywhere else for a large variety of reasons. Keeping Tom Brady at the owners behest isn't that bad. If any of this is true, then sure Bill could be annoyed but he would never leave for another team.

Seriously, this is what you respond to? :)

He wouldn't be leaving for another team, he'd just be leaving.

And even if he did want to consider offers to coach again, you don't think someone out there couldn't make it worth his time?

Larger point - I don't believe any of this top-level interference happened; this was a BB decision, possibly made with the knowledge that Kraft would prefer they keep Brady. But if BB believed JAG gave him a better chance to win going forward, I think he would have kept him.

Breaking news! Golf columnist heard from some person that Kraft traded Jimmy against Bill's wishes! Also Brady hates Belichick!!!11

Yeah... no.
Does the golf guy have Russian connections? I think he’s trying to break up the dynasty

Belichick couldn't negotiate a long term deal with JAG. He decided that he wasn't going to franchise him. So, it was a matter of a very high second now (plus Hoyer for as long as we need him) or cutting JAG at the end of the year for a 2019 end of the 3rd pick, going into the off-season with no backup.

I see this as a no-brainer. It would have significantly hurt the team to have to franchise JAG in the hope of negotiating a deal or trading him. We would have been out of the initial weeks of free agency, and might even have had to cut one of our players early.

I think the relationship between owner and coach, even ours, is more complicated than signing blank checks.

I think there's more to meddling by an owner than just a black and white situation. What if Kraft simply said he believes the organization is best served, over the long term, by not trading Brady ever and made that clear to BB.

That's a different scenario than Kraft demanding BB come to his office and having a circa 1996 Terry Glenn set-to with the coach.

I mostly buy this report. This isn't a football guy, no but this is a sports reporter. And I bet he got this 3rd hand from someone in the Brady circle involved in golfing but not necessarily privy to the way things work within the organization between owner and coach.

And yeah, if I'm Bob Kraft I'd probably tell the greatest coach of all time that I'm not going to approve Brady getting traded, so to BB that probably means it's time to move JG and get value for the team.

I think the relationship between owner and coach, even ours, is more complicated than signing blank checks.

I think there's more to meddling by an owner than just a black and white situation. What if Kraft simply said he believes the organization is best served, over the long term, by not trading Brady ever and made that clear to BB.

That's a different scenario than Kraft demanding BB come to his office and having a circa 1996 Terry Glenn set-to with the coach.

I mostly buy this report. This isn't a football guy, no but this is a sports reporter. And I bet he got this 3rd hand from someone in the Brady circle involved in golfing but not necessarily privy to the way things work within the organization between owner and coach.

And yeah, if I'm Bob Kraft I'd probably tell the greatest coach of all time that I'm not going to approve Brady getting traded, so to BB that probably means it's time to move JG and get value for the team.
Or.......

you just highlighted a plot from Game o' Thrones.

Belichick couldn't negotiate a long term deal with JAG. He decided that he wasn't going to franchise him. So, it was a matter of a very high second now (plus Hoyer for as long as we need him) or cutting JAG at the end of the year for a 2019 end of the 3rd pick, going into the off-season with no backup.

I see this as a no-brainer. It would have significantly hurt the team to have to franchise JAG in the hope of negotiating a deal or trading him. We would have been out of the initial weeks of free agency, and might even have had to cut one of our players early.
That's not the point.

It's everyone's understanding Kraft leaves any/all football decisions to BB.

As long as Bill is not being blatantly negligent, is financially responsible and most importantly winning, Kraft should sit back , count his $ and his valuation and stay the hell out of any/all football matters.

His role is writing checks, stability and occasionally some sage advice.

There is a direct correlation to meddling owners and losing teams.

Once Tuna left friggan Bob was carrying around stopwatches timing Tebuckey Jones' 40 time . Those were dark days.

I hope this is just rumors because if it isn't, this is the beginning of the end

That's not the point.
It's everyone's understanding Kraft leaves any/all football decisions to BB.

I believe that Kraft approved the trading of Bledsoe and of JAG.

If Bill was going to trade Brady, I think that he would seek Kraft's approval.

Also, if Bill want to hire Kaepernick, I think that he would need Kraft's approval.

An owner, even as hands off as Kraft does, in the interest of his business, needs to have input and final approval to certain decisions.

If Jimmy was better than Brady he would still be here and Brady would be gone and there is nothing kraft can do about it. Kraft has admitted before that because of his past concerning player personnel he does not and will not interfere with how Bill does his job. This is a good trade we get a 2nd and in a few years Jimmy will come back to us anyways. That's how the 49ers work.

I believe that Kraft approved the trading of Bledsoe and of JAG.

If Bill was going to trade Brady, I think that he would seek Kraft's approval.

Also, if Bill want to hire Kaepernick, I think that he would need Kraft's approval.

An owner, even as hands off as Kraft does, in the interest of his business, needs to have input and final approval to certain decisions.
Good post - Pretty much all teams when there is to be a trade of a franchise player the owner has input and/or final say.

If Jimmy was better than Brady he would still be here and Brady would be gone and there is nothing kraft can do about it. Kraft has admitted before that because of his past concerning player personnel he does not and will not interfere with how Bill does his job. This is a good trade we get a 2nd and in a few years Jimmy will come back to us anyways. That's how the 49ers work.

If you think that Bill could trade or cut Brady without the approval of Kraft, then you don't know much about Kraft and his BUSINESS.

If you think that Bill could trade or cut Brady without the approval of Kraft, then you don't know much about Kraft and his BUSINESS.

I read an interview with him about this very subject. There was another player kraft loved but Bb traded away and there was an argument that almost made Bb quit the organization. It many have been Wilfork. Kraft has admitted he won't interfere again and it has been the hardest part of owning this team but understands that's part of his job too. Of course Bb will talk about a Brady trade with kraft but he doesn't need his approval. FYI. I'm a Brady fan I want him to play at least 5 more years. I'm just going by what I read About the interview.

Kraft did say that after Wilfork. Franchise quarterbacks are different, for almost any team.

I read an interview with him about this very subject. There was another player kraft loved but Bb traded away and there was an argument that almost made Bb quit the organization. It many have been Wilfork. Kraft has admitted he won't interfere again and it has been the hardest part of owning this team but understands that's part of his job too. Of course Bb will talk about a Brady trade with kraft but he doesn't need his approval. FYI. I'm a Brady fan I want him to play at least 5 more years. I'm just going by what I read About the interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3