PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Cole Strange-Welcome to the Pats

This is the perfect place for a Belichick critic. Even some of his most loyal supporters and respected posters have been complaining about this pick. Get with the program kid.
Lol that is fair!

Why claim that BB didn't think much of Lloyd, Dean, Elam, Johnson or Wyatt? Because BB traded down? What if BB felt that having the extra 3rd and 4th would bring players almost as talented those 5 and, thus, would give the Patriots much needed depth that they haven't had at CB, Edge and LB. One of the biggest things I heard was that many felt that the talent between 30-90 was very similar. It's also why there no consensus about the top picks.

Wyatt fit the Pats mold, but the NEED isn't there because they already have a ton of 3/5 Tech guys starting with Barmore, Guy and Godchaux.
We had bigger needs at these positions than we had at guard.

He could have taken any of them with a trade down and an easy trade up.

Ken - This is the sort of BS post I expect from Captain Stone. NOT from you.

Not sure what list you're looking at, but BCG has Cole Strange on his list. Granted, it's a 3r round grade, but he's still there.

I love your insight, Ken, but you're NOT Ms. Cleo. There is no way you can say that Strange won't be starting at LG in September. Go and do a search for Cole Strange Senior Bowl and watch some of the footage out there on him. Keep in mind that he played all of ONE game in his career at center prior to Senior Bowl Practices. Yet he was willing and able AND turned heads in doing so.
I was also surprised at Ken's negativity concerning the pick.
As for Stoney, give him some time. :)

What happened to all that talk about how Bill's draft strategy is evolving and changing with the modern NFL. This pick is a typical Bill outthinking himself pick. We don't have Tom Brady to bail out odd picks like this and the fact he let TWO perfectly fine guards go only to over-draft one in the first round is just ridiculous. Other teams are literally laughing at this pick. That should tell you all you need to know.

Bob needs to strip him of his GM duties. Sure, Bill might quit if that happens but something needs to be done.

It's just Belichick playing chess.... and sacrificing his queen.
You don’t sacrifice your queen when you are losing. Except if you want to lose faster

Is Strange more of a LT?

I just cant get over the fact that Wynn is barely past 6 foot. And, people are exaggerating about his good play looking for silver linings.

The 2018 first-round pick has been a major disappointment this season. Wynn missed all of his rookie season and half of his sophomore campaign due to various injuries. But he impressed in 10 games in 2020, fueling optimism that 2021 would see the Georgia product finally emerge as a franchise left tackle.

It didn’t happen.

Wynn enjoyed some solid performances during the regular season, but also was maddeningly inconsistent and by far the least reliable of New England’s starting offensive linemen. Among the five regular starters, Wynn gave up the most sacks (six), total quarterback pressures (28), committed the most penalties (nine) and provided the worst pass-blocking efficiency (96.5). David Andrews ranked second in pressures allowed with 17 — a significant gap — while Shaq Mason committed the second-most penalties with four.

Maybe the Pats are moving on from Wynn sealing the edge and relocating him back inside where he played at Georgia.

Few thoughts on the pick and the reaction, if I may....

1. Lot of people losing their minds in here both ways. There's nothing anyone can say or do that changes things at this point, so now you ride with it and see what happens, good or bad.
2. I'm well out of the loop with draft evaluations, have been for some years, but one thing that never changes is need v value. Ideally you want to hit both, or at least draft for value. We'll never know the true value of the player, but we know the need. That gives it some sense.
3. Personally, I was terrified we'd see a pick like this, but that's based on others evaluations. Understandable people are critical based on "perceived" value. Pats have proved they can evaluate OL talent however.
4. Mac Jones will be a bit happier......assuming CS is the day 1 starter. I'm happy with that.
5. Congratulations to Cole and his family! Welcome to New England! You ready to work?
6. Staying up until 4am and being dumbfounded and what you've seen isn't a great feeling, not unless you're winning the SB in absurd circumstances anyway
7. *I really* wanted us to take McDuffie based on others evaluations :(
8. LFG Pats. Ton more picks and plenty of holes to fill.

Sorry, missed one......

9. Surely the OP had to name this thread "Stranger Things" Really missed that chance.

I have no clue about the draft other than its a complete crapshoot where the 77th pick is as likely to be a stud as the 27th. However, certain posters on this forum give the impression that the picks are all down to Bill. Is this really the case? Surely there is a process based on some sort of concensus amongst the coaches, scouts and personnel staff. I don't believe for a minute that Bill says pick X and the rest of the room just agree.

Sorry, missed one......

9. Surely the OP had to name this thread "Stranger Things" Really missed that chance.
There will be plenty of time for that.

Or maybe not Strange is old for a rookie.

I have no clue about the draft other than its a complete crapshoot where the 77th pick is as likely to be a stud as the 27th. However, certain posters on this forum give the impression that the picks are all down to Bill. Is this really the case? Surely there is a process based on some sort of concensus amongst the coaches, scouts and personnel staff. I don't believe for a minute that Bill says pick X and the rest of the room just agree.
He's the GM. The buck stops with him. There's no way his staff can override him or anything like that. They present their scouting reports, they give their thoughts on who they should pick but the guy who pulls the trigger at the end of the day is Bill.

The need was there and it is was a priority. There is no debate over that.

Question is the projection/draft slot.

If he turns into Mankind or Thuney or Shaq it was a great pick.

Do everything to protect Mac.

The need was there and it is was a priority. There is no debate over that.

Question is the projection/draft slot.

If he turns into Mankind or Thuney or Shaq it was a great pick.

Do everything to protect Mac.
if he turns out to be shaq mason level it was the dumbest move of the offseason.
Trading a guy for a 5th and drafting his replacement in round 1 without getting more quality at the position while others like CB or DE remain massive holes while many players a lot of guys here wanted were available is a F--------------

I don't know why BB went this way

Really?

G was the biggest "who is gonna start" hole. You might not like the LBs or CBs but if they had to field a team tomorrow you could have Mills, Butler, Jones and Mitchell at CB and Bentley, McMillian, Wilson and McGrone at LB. G you got Onwenu and that's it. Ferentz is better as a backup C. Desjarlais would be the top option and he is coming from the CFL.

I would have went defense but I can understand why they went this way. He tested well, looked good at the senior bowl and fills a hole that very much affects the franchise QB and rumor is he may not have been there at 54 which would have meant a trade up in the 2nd in a draft where the middle rounds are loaded with potential and you just picked up 2 picks for moving back and still getting the guy you had as BPA at G.

We'll get the answer tonight if there is a run on OL in the top of the 2nd, if there is then Pats would be justified in picking him while also picking up another 2 picks in the top 125

He's the GM. The buck stops with him. There's no way his staff can override him or anything like that. They present their scouting reports, they give their thoughts on who they should pick but the guy who pulls the trigger at the end of the day is Bill.
So do you think Matt Groh etc wanted another player and are now scratching their heads?

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back