PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Cole Strange-Welcome to the Pats

Listening to some of the reactions today and had a laugh. Curran was shocked "I mean, you can't make it up... Patriots are gonna trade down and then take a non-division 1 guard....that's what they did. It's a joke, it's a punchline."

A bit more athletic and a lot nastier than Wake Forest’s Zach Tom who was mocked by many to the Patriots.

Tom, equally intelligent and even more versatile—an actual center/LT mix—is the son of two LSU professors.

He went in the fourth round to Green Bay. He was projected second to fourth rounds. Excellent value for the CheeseHeads.

It’s clear we needed an “enforcer” personality to the offensive line.

This thought has definitely crossed my mind. But Strange does not have long arms.

33"; 3/8" shorter than Wynn/Lose... Fine for a Guard, but at the Very Bare Minimum for a Tackle.

The next guard selected was by Tampa. Cole won have been gone at 33

The next OG selected was by Tampa... At 57.

The next OLman of Any Kind selected was by Philthy... At 51.

Here's Super Cole dominating this scrub in the Senior Bowl....his chin is rock hard!!

01g1ecbk8pjceq5h2z7y.jpg

NFL Radio Moving the chains has this guy Paul Alexander on every week and he works with the rookie OL players each year and he's a former coach. I'm not sure if he knows what he's talking about but he's always fun to listen to when his phone isn't total garbage and you can't hear him. He was asked what he thought about this pick and he just didn't know what to say. He basically said he didn't understand it at all and he works with many of the top OL prospects each year. He just said what many are saying and that is that BB does things his own way and 'who are we' to judge it. He literally had something good to say about all the prospects that they discussed except this one and it was sort of strange. This doesn't mean anything but it's funny how things go sometimes. He also did say that he didn't think too much of Thuney either and was wrong about that.

I was watching the draft videos the team have put out. The last one had a v.short clip on the trade but it seems like they had this trade planned ahead of time and were executing it before they were even on the clock. Certainly sounded like they had conviction in the trade down and didn't even consider McDuffie.

I was watching the draft videos the team have put out. The last one had a v.short clip on the trade but it seems like they had this trade planned ahead of time and were executing it before they were even on the clock. Certainly sounded like they had conviction in the trade down and didn't even consider McDuffie.
They had a trade with Houston in 2015 arranged long enough ahead of time that they actually backed out when Malcom Brown became available.

Are you talking about this one?

Travis Jones dominated a LOT of OL at the Senior Bowl. Strange wasn't the only one. But regardless of if you consider that 'piling on' doesn't change the fact that it happened.

Travis Jones is a wasted opportunity by the Pats who had a need to improve their 11th worst ranked run defense, but instead reached for Strange in the 1st. If they 'read' the value properly they could have easily landed both Strange and Jones with their pick currency.

There's a lot more footage of Strange winning some of the battles against Jones. At best, it was 50/50 for Jones.

But whatever.

Do you know how easily the Patriots could've taken Jones in the 3rd round? The trades up in that round were not that costly, especially for a team with multiple fourths and 6ths. If they wanted Jones at all, it would've been easy to grab him. Clearly, the Patriots did not want him.

Last edited:
Listening to some of the reactions today and had a laugh. Curran was shocked "I mean, you can't make it up... Patriots are gonna trade down and then take a non-division 1 guard....that's what they did. It's a joke, it's a punchline."

Curran has gone Full Felger at this point.

Hey I'm old. I'm excused. I have a blanket get outta jail free card for everything I post.
When does that kick in (say 50s say 50s)

Curran has gone Full Felger at this point.
I don't know if that's fair. The Strange pick is pretty much the most universally questioned pick league wide and was literally the only selection in the first round where every network covering the draft didn't have tape on the player qued up because it was massive reach. Curran is in line with over 95% (made up number) of the assessments on that pick. He's not being a contrarian like Felger looking to manufacture the narrative to be negative. It is just a straight up negative. The Pats passed up one of the top CB's in the draft, another highly touted CB, two offensive lineman who were projected far higher than the one we got, and the first two LB's selected in the draft in the spots they lost from the trade down. Then took a guy that by all indications was viewed as closer to 3rd roun pick.

Multiple longtime draft analyzers have been very down on that pick. You can't blame Curran for his take. Even if Strange turns into a Mankins, we could have likely just taken McDuffie and then Strange in the second.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back